Wiki Posts
Search

Best FF program for International Travel

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2014, 4:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Best FF program for International Travel

i have been flying from Florida to Johannesburg on an average of 6 times a year and from Florida to Kenya once a year, and have been buying all my tickets with Amex Delta Platinum card, and essentially it has been a waste as Delta will not upgrade you to Business between USA and Africa.
for awhile I bought my tickets on the Amex Gold card that gave me triple miles for every airline dollar but it did not go toward MQM or MQD's.
The question now becomes, how do I best use the dollars and miles that I will be getting and paying for in 2015, and which CC and Airline should I switch everything to.

I fly over 100,000 miles and spend over $15k a year just on the flights
I hate those long flights and would much prefer to fly in business so that is my goal, can anyone assist and make recommendations.
TIA

Gavin
Old Jul 24, 2014, 7:12 pm

Programs: AA EXP (2.5MM), Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium
Sounds like you've always used Delta in the past? is that correct? Do you have a preference for Delta? have you flown Delta metal for most/all of the flights you want to upgrade, or have they also been on partner metal? Not all FF programs that you can gain status in will have a means for upgrading on partner metal. Typically you'd want to gain status on the metal/airline on which you'd want to upgrade and then only if they have some comp upgrade certs like UA/DL/AA.

If you had AA Executive Platinum status (which you can get with >100k EQM on AA & Partners) you'd get 8 system wide upgrades but they wouldn't get you all the way to South Africa. You'd likely be able to use them to get to London on AA metal but then London-South Africa would be on BA and AA SWUs don't help there. You'd have to buy a full Y ticket even to be able to use AA miles to upgrade.

I can't speak to UA or DL programs and upgrades, especially on partners. You may have more luck posting in the airline specific forums.
Old Jul 25, 2014, 12:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
Originally Posted by gslabbert5119
i have been flying from Florida to Johannesburg on an average of 6 times a year and from Florida to Kenya once a year, and have been buying all my tickets with Amex Delta Platinum card, and essentially it has been a waste as Delta will not upgrade you to Business between USA and Africa.
for awhile I bought my tickets on the Amex Gold card that gave me triple miles for every airline dollar but it did not go toward MQM or MQD's.
The question now becomes, how do I best use the dollars and miles that I will be getting and paying for in 2015, and which CC and Airline should I switch everything to.

I fly over 100,000 miles and spend over $15k a year just on the flights
I hate those long flights and would much prefer to fly in business so that is my goal, can anyone assist and make recommendations.
TIA

Gavin
Gavin,

Welcome to FT!

I think the most direct routing to JNB from FL would be via ATL. For Kenya, at least on MQD earning fares, I think CDG or AMS are your primary options.

Unfortunately, as a DL Plat, the Global Upgrade Certs (DM Choice Benefit) are not an option and mileage UGs require the expensive YBM fares.

AA makes it easier to UG (EXP = 8 EVIPs) although you cannot get to JNB or Kenya direct on AA metal. If crossing the Pond on AA metal and connecting to BA at LHR, you'd be able to UG the TATL. As mikelat stated, BA requires a more expensive fare to use miles to UG.

As of now, both DL and UA have the spend requirement. While you can get the DL Amex spend waiver for DM, I'm pretty sure UA does not offer a CC spend waiver for 1k.
Old Jul 25, 2014, 4:51 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the welcome folks.
As being a novice points consolidation user (never really paid much attention to them in the past, I was really hoping that those that understand the systems better than I would be able to offer some clues as how to best get the upgrades to international business class ont the flights. As I get older I become more concerned about my comfort, and would like to use the status for free upgrades (aka getting bumped), but in my discussions yesterday with DL they tell me that even if I fly their Metal (which is all that I do these days) will not get me bumped ever on the international portion (atl - jnb) and it not that I would not qualify as I easily have enough mqm,s and mqd's to quailfiy for Plat and occasionally I will qualify for Diamond. I used to fly SAA (South African Airlines) but their voyager program to me sucked, though that may simply be me not understanding their program correctly.
I could not care what airline I fly and as I start to pay for my 2015 flights and set my schedule I want to select an airline whose system works for me, and if it is not DL then I dont care if they lose a loyal customer who sends over $20k a year in domestic and international each year with them.
Old Jul 25, 2014, 5:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
Originally Posted by gslabbert5119
Thanks for the welcome folks.
As being a novice points consolidation user (never really paid much attention to them in the past, I was really hoping that those that understand the systems better than I would be able to offer some clues as how to best get the upgrades to international business class ont the flights. As I get older I become more concerned about my comfort, and would like to use the status for free upgrades (aka getting bumped), but in my discussions yesterday with DL they tell me that even if I fly their Metal (which is all that I do these days) will not get me bumped ever on the international portion (atl - jnb) and it not that I would not qualify as I easily have enough mqm,s and mqd's to quailfiy for Plat and occasionally I will qualify for Diamond. I used to fly SAA (South African Airlines) but their voyager program to me sucked, though that may simply be me not understanding their program correctly.
I could not care what airline I fly and as I start to pay for my 2015 flights and set my schedule I want to select an airline whose system works for me, and if it is not DL then I dont care if they lose a loyal customer who sends over $20k a year in domestic and international each year with them.
On DL, the only way you'd get a complimentary bump to J on the ATL-JNB flight is if economy is oversold - called an operational upgrade (OpUp).

There's DL-specific discussion on this topic here:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...ve-thread.html

Regarding DL service to/from JNB, it's my understanding getting UG space (or low award availability) can be a challenge. ATL-JNB can also be a challenge for employees flying in a non-rev status.

DL threads discussing UGs to JNB:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...t-jnb-atl.html

As far as I know, no airline offers complimentary international upgrades. As previously stated, AA's EVIPs can be great but it'll only get you to Europe on AA metal.

You may want to check the UA forum for details on UGs with UA.
Old Jul 25, 2014, 6:37 am
Original Poster

Thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.