Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > oneworld
Reload this Page >

One World Y flights 10k miles each. Where to credit to score 2 domestic flights?

One World Y flights 10k miles each. Where to credit to score 2 domestic flights?

Old Aug 23, 19, 2:35 pm
Original Poster

Hey
Me and a friend have 10k miles long haul flights in full Y fare class on Qatar/AA. Where should we credit these (which FF program) so we can get one domestic flight each for free (Seattle -DC/NYC pref)?

Thanks in advance!
Old Aug 23, 19, 2:49 pm

Programs: American EXP; British Airways Gold
Have you checked out this website:

https://www.wheretocredit.com/

Helpful in making a decision like this.
dddc likes this.
Old Aug 23, 19, 2:52 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jcatman View Post
Have you checked out this website:

https://www.wheretocredit.com/

Helpful in making a decision like this.
Yeah I checked it out but IMO information is incorrect there. It says CX will charge 10k miles while the Asia Miles calculator shows 15k miles. So I thought might turn to the great FT community for what is the best Oneworld FFP for domestic redemptions in economy class.
Old Aug 23, 19, 2:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by wariobahn View Post
Hey
Me and a friend have 10k miles long haul flights in full Y fare class on Qatar/AA. Where should we credit these (which FF program) so we can get one domestic flight each for free (Seattle -DC/NYC pref)?

Thanks in advance!
Yeah I checked it out but IMO information is incorrect there. It says CX will charge 10k miles while the Asia Miles calculator shows 15k miles. So I thought might turn to the great FT community for what is the best Oneworld FFP for domestic redemptions in economy class. _
What is the full route?
Is it really full Y booking class (often very expensive) or generic Y economy, so a lower fare booking class?

What ffp's are you a member of now?
Home airport/country?
One trip is not a good basis of selecting a ffp
FF miles are not equal to earn or burn. If awards are the objective earn to burn (including cash award surcharges) is the consideration.

The web site wheretocredit is nothing to with award cost. Its about earning.
For awards very general guide. https://www.awardhacker.com/#f=SEA&t...=0&c=y&s=1&p=1. But you need to look at the detailed ffp rules

Oneworld:- Deciding on a Oneworld Frequent Flyer Program? Help is here

Be mindful of expiry Miles/Points that Do and Don't Expire. Click to open the wiki.
nancypants likes this.

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Aug 23, 19 at 3:10 pm
Old Aug 23, 19, 3:08 pm
Original Poster

The full route is BKK-DOH-FRA-CLT-IAD. It is company sponsored so it is full fat Y class. I'm a TK Gold and normally fly A* and my friend doesn't travel much. For this reason, I don't think there is any realistic chance of getting to any OW elite levels and I was mainly viewing this as a way to get one free domestic flight (round trip, as my friend doesn't care about his miles). Home airport is SEA for now and normally I fly to JFK/IAD domestic so those are the priority routes.
Old Aug 23, 19, 3:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

With some airlines/roues a cheaper discount business fare will cost less than a full Y fare. But your company may not be paying retail fare (corporate discount)

Note with the AA ffp non stop awards are becoming increasing hard to get with AA ff miles due to married segments logic. And award availability on popular long USA domestic routes.

More award availability restricted by married segments / connections

AAdvantage MileSAAver: “Through Award Fares”, a New (March 2019)

One trip is not a good basis of selecting a ffp.
http://www.gcmap.com/mapui?P=BKK-DOH...D&MS=wls&DU=mi
nancypants likes this.
Old Aug 23, 19, 3:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi View Post
With some airlines/roues a cheaper discount business fare will cost less than a full Y fare. But your company may not be paying retail fare (corporate discount)

Note with the AA ffp non stop awards are becoming increasing hard to get with AA ff miles due to married segments logic. And award availability on popular long USA domestic routes.

More award availability restricted by married segments / connections

AAdvantage MileSAAver: “Through Award Fares”, a New (March 2019)

One trip is not a good basis of selecting a ffp.
Great Circle Mapper
Regarding the ticket, according to the email I got I see it cost them like 1600 bucks so I'm sure they could have found a J ticket for around the same.

Interesting about the married segments, though I don't really mind missing segments with AA as I don't have a relationship with them.

I do understand what you mean about the single flight not being a good basis, but is there any OW program that can do a one way domestic for 10k miles? For example, on Skyteam Korean does 20k roundtrips.
Old Aug 23, 19, 3:31 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL WFBF, National Emerald Club, Global Entry, CSR, IHG Gold
Is the ticket on AA stock or QR stock? If AA stock, you won't even get 10,000 miles. A $1600 ticket (minus taxes and fees) will only earn about 7,000 miles.

By the way, AA does offer one-way domestic for 7,500 for flights under 500 miles.
Old Aug 23, 19, 3:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Have you got the ticket that definitely says full Y fare booking class?
Put the PNR into "manage booking" on AA, Finnair AY, Qantas QF & SriLankain UL web sites. Those web sites may show more details That may or may not work.

Look at www.awardhacker.com
Old Aug 23, 19, 3:35 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by wetrat0 View Post
Is the ticket on AA stock or QR stock? If AA stock, you won't even get 10,000 miles. A $1600 ticket (minus taxes and fees) will only earn about 7,000 miles.

By the way, AA does offer one-way domestic for 7,500 for flights under 500 miles.
That's really weird. If I go to Asia miles (for example) and see how much an AA Y fare code earns, it says 100%. So you're saying I'll get 70% instead?

Oh, I'm hoping for coast to coast in 10k miles lol. Is that realistically possible in OW?

Have you got the ticket that definitely says full Y fare booking class?
Put the PNR into "manage booking" on AA, Finnair AY, Qantas QF & SriLankain UL web sites. Those web sites may show more details That may or may not work.
Yup. Just confirmed it on both QR, AA and UL sites its booked in Y fare class.

I tried this site but it gives incorrect data. It said 10k for Asia miles JFK-SEA while the Asiamiles calculator shows 15k (for AS/AA).

Last edited by JY1024; Aug 23, 19 at 4:13 pm Reason: Merged consecutive posts
Old Aug 23, 19, 3:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That's really weird. If I go to Asia miles (for example) and see how much an AA Y fare code earns, it says 100%. So you're saying I'll get 70% instead?
Yes. AA is a revenue based ffp. And distance based when not an AA issused (001) ticket or some other rules. With AA, and other revenue based ffp, its complicated to determine earning.

You are mixing the ffp rules. Long gone are the days when flying 1 mile got you 1 frequent flyer mile

Not all airline ffp's are in awardhacker
A general guide only:--->https://www.awardhacker.com/#f=SEA&t...=1&c=y&s=1&p=1
Old Aug 23, 19, 3:45 pm
Original Poster

Yes. AA is a revenue based ffp. And distance based when not an AA disuse (001) ticket. With AA, and other revenue based ffp, its complicated to determeibe earning
You are mixing the ffp rules.
Long gone are the days when 1 miles of flying go you 1 frequent flyer mile

Not all airline ffp's are in awardhacker
A general guide only:--->https://www.awardhacker.com/#f=SEA&t...=1&c=y&s=1&p=1
Okay yeah I understand that happens if I credit to AA but if I credit to CX I get one mile for each mile flown right? I had just gone with the general 'AA program is crap' sentiment and wasn't planning to credit there anyway. I guess I should take a look at AA redemptions for each of the OW programs.
Old Aug 23, 19, 3:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Are all the flight QR/AA flight numbers? Any codeshares?
https://www.wheretocredit.com/qatar-airways/y
https://www.wheretocredit.com/american-airlines/y

....I had just gone with the general 'AA program is crap' sentiment and wasn't planning to credit there anyway.
But AA was one of the better OW ffp's. And still may be, even after until the recent award dynamic pricing announcement & married segment award issues.
Dynamic Award Pricing to Expand, AA announces 30 May 2019
"Economy Web Special" Award (dynamic price, fewer miles, more restrictions Oct 2018)

The grass in not always greener on the other side
Old Aug 23, 19, 3:58 pm
Original Poster

Yup. BKK-DOH-FRA is on QR flight numbers and FRA-CLT-IAD is on AA.

But AA was one of the better OW ffp's. And still may be, even after until the recent award dynamic pricing announcement & married segment award issues.
Dynamic Award Pricing to Expand, AA announces 30 May 2019
"Economy Web Special" Award (dynamic price, fewer miles, more restrictions Oct 2018)

The grass in not always [COLOR=&quot]greener[/COLOR] on the other side
Yeah I agree with you that is a fair point. But in this specific case, AA might not be the best option if they pay 7500 miles vs 10000 and also have more expensive redemption. In general, I've found Etihad Guest to be excellent for AA redemptions but obviously thats not in OW.
Old Aug 23, 19, 4:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Starting in BKK it may be QR issued. If the ticket number starts 001-xxxxx its AA issued

Search this Thread