More effective OW rewards programs?

Old Feb 4, 18, 5:54 pm
Original Poster

More effective OW rewards programs?

So I was thinking - BA have made it harder and harder to rake up TPs on their reduced cost tickets. Is there any other program in the OW family that would rake up the TPs quicker, or have a lower threshold to get to the equivalent of say, Silver (Sapphire)?

I am essentially wanting to still fly on BA metal but have the benefit of a different airline's loyalty program where they may get me to Sapphire quicker than in BA's program.
Old Feb 4, 18, 6:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by simon1234567 View Post
So I was thinking - BA have made it harder and harder to rake up TPs on their reduced cost tickets. Is there any other program in the OW family that would rake up the TPs quicker, or have a lower threshold to get to the equivalent of say, Silver (Sapphire)?

I am essentially wanting to still fly on BA metal but have the benefit of a different airline's loyalty program where they may get me to Sapphire quicker than in BA's program.
The grass in not always greener on the other side

What are your objectives from a ffp?
What do expect to get from OW status?

Deciding on a Oneworld Frequent Flyer Program? Help is here.
Old Feb 4, 18, 6:04 pm
Original Poster

I'm simply trying to determine if I flew say, LHR - NYC in Y on BA but as a member of another OW carrier, whether I would be credited with either 1. more TPs to get to Sapphire easier OR 2. be in their program so that they require LESS TPs to get to Sapphire than the 600 currently required by EC members.

I do remember colleagues of mine a while back were AA members and seemed to be able to climb the ranks quicker than if they were BA members.
Old Feb 4, 18, 6:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I'm simply trying to determine if I flew say, LHR - NYC in Y on BA but as a member of another OW carrier, whether I would be credited with either 1. more TPs to get to Sapphire easier OR 2. be in their program so that they require LESS TPs to get to Sapphire than the 600 currently required by EC members.

I do remember colleagues of mine a while back were AA members and seemed to be able to climb the ranks quicker than if they were BA members.
If you are travelling in economy class, then I suspect that AA may be a better bet for status

Y fare basis will earn 1.5 qualifying mile per mile flown ( if on AA or BA )
Other economy bases will earn 1 qualifying mile per mile flown ( if on AA ) ( or 0.5 on BA)

50,000 miles will earn Platinum status ( OW Sapphire)

LHR-JFK is 3452 miles approx 7 r/ts in discount economy to attain status

A cheap economy ticket ( (Q, O, G) will earn 40 TPs r/t, so 15 r/t required .
In K, L, M, N, S and V class, 70 points is earned so about 8.5 trips

What sort of booking class do you book?
Old Feb 4, 18, 6:43 pm

Programs: AA,CX, BA, Priority Club, SPG, Hilton
Originally Posted by Dave Noble View Post
If you are travelling in economy class, then I suspect that AA may be a better bet for status

Y fare basis will earn 1.5 qualifying mile per mile flown ( if on AA or BA )
Other economy bases will earn 1 qualifying mile per mile flown ( if on AA ) ( or 0.5 on BA)

50,000 miles will earn Platinum status ( OW Sapphire)

LHR-JFK is 3452 miles approx 7 r/ts in discount economy to attain status

A cheap economy ticket ( (Q, O, G) will earn 40 TPs r/t, so 15 r/t required .
In K, L, M, N, S and V class, 70 points is earned so about 8.5 trips

What sort of booking class do you book?
also dont forget the $6k EQD in order to qualify for AA Platinum (ow sapphire), so while aa may be easier, but BA probably cheaper, three xEU PE can get to BA silver, or if cheapest y fare, then you need 15 rt lhr-jfk (40tp per trip), 9rt if discount y fare (70 tp per trip). As Dave mentioned about fare class, If OP only travel Lhr-jfk.... then buy BA ticket, you probably still need 8 rt trip+. 700010%9 for eqd for cheap Y fare, the cheapest y fare only earn 5%, then u need 17 trips. If buy AA ticket, with current promotion around $600 per ticket, then probably need 10 rt ( but no less then 8 trips even with higher price due to eqm requirement) either way, a lot of y tatl

Last edited by Fly2Where; Feb 4, 18 at 6:59 pm
Old Feb 4, 18, 7:37 pm

ex eu BA in Premium Economy , say AMS-LHR-JFK
credited to AA , would earn 750 + 5178 = 5928 miles one way (11,856 r/t) , so 4.2 trips needed and about 1739 EQDs per trip , so 4 trips would complete teh EQDs

Even so - the OP was asking about economy travel
Old Feb 4, 18, 8:02 pm

Programs: AA,CX, BA, Priority Club, SPG, Hilton
Originally Posted by Dave Noble View Post
ex eu BA in Premium Economy , say AMS-LHR-JFK
credited to AA , would earn 750 + 5178 = 5928 miles one way (11,856 r/t) , so 4.2 trips needed and about 1739 EQDs per trip , so 4 trips would complete teh EQDs

Even so - the OP was asking about economy travel
i probably wrote too much that confused everyone. Ex eu credit to BA... 3 trips is good enough for BA silver, that why I said credit to BA probably is cheaper.

And I understand OP mentioned about economy, that why wrote whole bunch regarding economy trip. Aa wont be any easier.
Old Feb 4, 18, 9:21 pm
Original Poster

This is where it gets interesting. So with BA it's all about the TPs as far as status goes (& eligible flights). Miles flown don't matter, only when it comes to redemptions. Are you saying that with AA, status is based on TPs OR actual miles flown or do TPs still play a role in determining Ruby, Sapphire, etc?

I usually end up with companies getting the discounted economy fares so I earn anything from 40 to 70 TPs to NYC return. In a year I fly to the US about 2-3 times, Australia once (twice this year) maybe middle east once and a handful of EU trips. It's quite possible I could fly 50,000 physical miles in a year but only attract just over 300 TPs - so enough for Bronze (Ruby). If those same 50,000 miles (on BA metal) got me Sapphire on AA's program then it's a bit of no-brainer. That's what I am trying to work out.

I use the ex-EU fares at times but more for a cheaper Y fare if I am paying, than for a PE fare. That may be about to change with a few flights.

Then there is Qantas' program that I need to look into as well.

Last edited by PAL62V; Feb 4, 18 at 9:32 pm
Old Feb 4, 18, 9:33 pm
Original Poster

Holy crap - I just had a read of AA's program and seems a heck of a lot more complicated than BA's. EQMs, EQDs EQSs. What happened to basic TPs?

Yeah, it may be easier to hang with the EC and see how best to max out my flights. I can't really see the AA way being much better after all.
Old Feb 4, 18, 9:34 pm

Programs: EK Silver, QR Gold

What about QR? You could get your 4 segments a year on your trip to Australia. 300 TP's gets you gold/sapphire.
PAL62V likes this.
Old Feb 4, 18, 9:41 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
This is where it gets interesting. So with BA it's all about the TPs as far as status goes (& eligible flights). Miles flown don't matter, only when it comes to redemptions. Are you saying that with AA, status is based on TPs OR actual miles flown or do TPs still play a role in determining Ruby, Sapphire, etc?

I usually end up with companies getting the discounted economy fares so I earn anything from 40 to 70 TPs to NYC return. In a year I fly to the US about 2-3 times, Australia once (twice this year) maybe middle east once and a handful of EU trips. It's quite possible I could fly 50,000 physical miles in a year but only attract just over 300 TPs - so enough for Bronze (Ruby). If those same 50,000 miles (on BA metal) got me Sapphire on AA's program then it's a bit of no-brainer. That's what I am trying to work out.

I use the ex-EU fares at times but more for a cheaper Y fare if I am paying, than for a PE fare. That may be about to change with a few flights.

Although trying to compare the different levels may have the same or similar benefits, the way you get to them is different, eg BA use tier points. I suggest that you take a look at the forums for the respective airlines to find out more about each programme.
Old Feb 4, 18, 9:52 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by madfish View Post

Although trying to compare the different levels may have the same or similar benefits, the way you get to them is different, eg BA use tier points. I suggest that you take a look at the forums for the respective airlines to find out more about each programme.
Yes, I am getting that just from scouring the airline websites themselves. I have a feeling it is all going to end up the same, no matter how you cut it.
Old Feb 4, 18, 10:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

..Then there is Qantas' program that I need to look into as well.
Not worth looking at the QF ffp. Poor compared to AA.
And you need 4 QF or eligible JQ flights before status is granted.

If you get OW Sapphire status then what? What will that do for you?
Old Feb 4, 18, 10:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Doing AA from Europe can be very easy.

ARN-LHR-LAX (rt) on BA in PE (Y for ARN-LHR)
Cost: $735 USD
Earns: 17,200 EQM /\ 2,350 EQD /\ 11,800 RDM

Do this route 3x
Cost: $2,200 USD
Earns: 51,600 EQM /\ 7,050 EQD /\ 35,400 RDM (plus elite bonus)

This is a cheap and efficient way to earn Platinum for a relatively small cost. That said, that combination of flights would also earn 600 TP, which might be a better way to go.
1flyer likes this.
Old Feb 4, 18, 11:17 pm

Holy crap - I just had a read of AA's program and seems a heck of a lot more complicated than BA's. EQMs, EQDs EQSs. What happened to basic TPs?

Yeah, it may be easier to hang with the EC and see how best to max out my flights. I can't really see the AA way being much better after all.
AA's system is very straightforward

Fly 1000 miles on an AA flight and will earn 1000 qualifying miles on a flight ( other than basic economy fares in US) - fly 2152 miles and earn 2152 miles

If flying in business or 1st class will earn 2 or 3 times the rate

How complex is that?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: