Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Based in Korea. How useful is Asia Miles vs Kris Flyer?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2019, 12:30 am
Original Poster

Will be spending more time in Korea in the future. Currently using Kris Flyer and Asia Miles. If you had to pick between the two, which of these programs would be more useful for travel throughout Asia, Europe and to the US from Seoul?

I tried looking at redemption options on SQ website. Was met with flight unavailable in red pretty much all the time. Must be me not knowing what to enter? Asia Miles looked ok to Europe and US. But I don't know if this is a rip off with partner airlines or not.

I need to use my card points and these two airline programs are transfer partners. Prefer this than redeeming for shopping vouchers.

Thanks
Old Apr 25, 2019, 10:02 am

Programs: CX Diamond / OWE
Originally Posted by HatesFlyingMiles
Will be spending more time in Korea in the future. Currently using Kris Flyer and Asia Miles. If you had to pick between the two, which of these programs would be more useful for travel throughout Asia, Europe and to the US from Seoul?

I tried looking at redemption options on SQ website. Was met with flight unavailable in red pretty much all the time. Must be me not knowing what to enter? Asia Miles looked ok to Europe and US. But I don't know if this is a rip off with partner airlines or not.
It really depends on where you will most likely be travelling to in Asia - if mostly South East Asia destinations SQ will be a better choice. However, whichever you choose you will have to transit in either Singapore or HK, which means spending a fair bit of time at the lounges. By this measure, CX has the best lounges in the industry (although many are debating that the quality of the food at the CX lounges are going downhill) so CX may be the better choice. The other point you should consider is the duration of the flights from Seoul to Singapore or HK - it is 6+ hours to Singapore and 3+ hours to HK.
craig44485 likes this.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 4:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Actually, SQ is a better choice regardless of destinations.

Korea has 2 major airlines - KE and OZ, which are allied with ST and *A respectively. On that basis, I would say your chance of finding an award seat is better with SQ, especially given all the major cities nearby have heavy *A presence.

(AFAICT - SQ's IT isn't really perfect. So you may have to call for an award reservation.)
Old Apr 25, 2019, 10:05 pm

Programs: BA Gold, JGC Sapphire, OZ Diamond, AF Silver, CX GR, Marriott Lifetime SL
BTW will you stay there long enough and keep travel frequent enough? You may want to consider OZ to accumulate for lifetime *G and KE for lifetime SkyPriority (500K miles to attain). However be warned both program has bad redemption rate.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 10:39 pm

Programs: AS MVPG75k, AA Plat
Originally Posted by ChrisLi
BTW will you stay there long enough and keep travel frequent enough? You may want to consider OZ to accumulate for lifetime *G and KE for lifetime SkyPriority (500K miles to attain). However be warned both program has bad redemption rate.
Both OZ and KE have good redemption rates when compared with SQ KF and CX AM.
Old Apr 26, 2019, 2:50 am

Programs: BA Gold, JGC Sapphire, OZ Diamond, AF Silver, CX GR, Marriott Lifetime SL
Originally Posted by Unionruler
Both OZ and KE have good redemption rates when compared with SQ KF and CX AM.
I said the have bad redemption rate when talking about miles required to redeem a flight. Please share if otherwise.
Old Apr 26, 2019, 8:49 am

Programs: AS MVPG75k, AA Plat
Originally Posted by ChrisLi
I said the have bad redemption rate when talking about miles required to redeem a flight. Please share if otherwise.
Yeah, your statement is really astounding because there are many examples.

KE Skypass (own metal) China/Japan - NA First 160k RT (off peak)
KE Skypass (partner) Asia 2 - Europe First 150k RT, Business 115k RT
KE Skypass (partner) NA - Europe First 100k RT, Business 80k RT <-- this is actually common knowledge because the blogs keep harping about it, surprised you don't know

OZ Northeast Asia - NA First 160k RT, Business 120k RT
OZ Southeast Asia - NA, Central America First 180k RT, Business 135k RT
OZ Southeast Asia - Europe First 150k RT, Business 115k RT
OZ Europe - NA, Central America, Hawaii First 100k RT, Business 80k RT
OZ Europe - Middle East First 80k RT, Business 60k RT
Old Apr 27, 2019, 12:09 am

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
Cross posting is against FT rules. I am closing this thread. Members may continue discussion at: Based in Korea. How useful is Kris Flyer vs Asia Miles?.

cxfan1960
CX CoMod

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.