Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

Moving to Doha: Decide whether to stay with AAdvantage or switch Privilege Club?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Moving to Doha: Decide whether to stay with AAdvantage or switch Privilege Club?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2017, 10:57 am
Original Poster

Moving to Doha: Stay with AAdvantage vs. Privilege Club

Moving to Doha from the US and currently AA Executive Platinum (with Lifetime Gold Status). Once in Doha, I will be traveling a decent amount all over the world and it will all be in biz. I have been doing a decent amount of research and torn on whether I stay with Advantage Program or switch to Privilege Club. Any thoughts on making the switch would be greatly appreciated. It doesn't seem like a no brainer either way, so pretty torn at the moment.

A few guys I work with are based in Doha, but maintain allegiance to Emirates, so they have not been much help. For what its worth, I have always been a fan of OneWorld and it works well for my personal/family situation so prefer to stay with either AA or Qatar (OneWorld).

Pros for Joining Privilege:
-Upgrades on Qatar (QCredits once you hit Gold - though only helpful for personal travel
-Lots of non-stop options from Doha (convenience)

Cons:
-All biz travel is paid business so airline allegiance becomes less relevant
-For personal travel it seems like Qatar is quite expensive, so in some circumstances it may make sense to just book whats cheapest and connect (though this is of course hypothetical since I haven't moved yet)
- AA doesn't fly to ME, so would only be able to use eVIPs to Europe (when traveling for personal) then economy onward to Doha, though decent roundtrip fares to the US make it likely I just purchase biz personally (in which case eVIPs aren't particularly relevant
- Only 1.5x EQMs on AA when flying biz on Qatar (2x on AA)
- ONLY 20%-25% EQD credit on Qatar!

Any thoughts appreciated!
Old Feb 14, 2017, 11:02 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Melia Gold, Shangri-La Jade, BA Amex PP, Iberia+, Nandos Card
Not sure why you needed to post two threads?

AA and QR are both one world airlines as you know, so nothing is stopping you keeping your AA account and crediting any QR flights there. Given you already have status this would be my personal choice but it depends on how much you travel home and whether you can meet the specific requirements to maintain status.

You've identified a lot of airline-specific reasons that shouldn't really relate to a decision on FF. "Lots of non-stop options from Doha" is an airline thing and not in itself a reason to change FF program, similarly the point you mention as a con that "Qatar is quite expensive" is also an airline thing. It seems the only reason you have identified as a pro is the upgrades, which again aren't a reason I would personally throw away the AA program.

Good luck with your decision and your new job!
Old Feb 14, 2017, 11:04 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
How close are you to AA lifetime Plat? That would give lounge access when traveling international, right? Do you have an AA lounge membership or admission through a credit card? It sounds like EQD requirements for AA elite status will be a concern for you, but have you done the calculation of your EQM and EQD levels if you stay with AA versus what status you would get from QR? Could it make sense to split between the two programs? Also, can we assume that you can't get an initial status match/challenge from QR?

Have you looked at the travel policy for your new position? Preferred carriers? What fare classes do they normally purchase? How much flexibility do you have to pick flights?
Old Feb 14, 2017, 11:15 am
Original Poster

Thanks for your thoughts. I am 700,000 miles away from Lifetime Platinum.

I have AAdmirals Club membership, but its about to expire. I also have Chase Sapphire preferred, which gives me access to the Oryx lounge in Doha, and many more around the world.

I would have sufficient EQM/EQDs to hit both top tiers, but the benefit of staying with AA is that you get additional eVIPS at certain thresholds over 100k. Though again, less relevant if the majority of my travel is paid business.

Qatar is preferred travel carrier, so not a problem there, but either way its pretty flexible (as many guys stay loyal to emirates and always connect through DXB).

I may get a status match with Qatar, they are mulling it, as we speak. However, I think at best it would be a Gold status, at best based on what others have been granted.

A big perk for me is the ability to redeem miles for premium travel when on vacation. AA has historically been very good, but its becoming less and less appealing as Advantage continues to be gutted. Thoughts on value/availability of redeeming Qmiles on Qatar? Generally decent availability?
Old Feb 14, 2017, 11:17 am
Original Poster

Thanks, somehow I created two thread and I've asked the moderators to delete/merge this thread so there are not duplicates.

Do you have views on your perceived value of Privilege club redemption rates/availability? For me AA has been very valuable in that respect with booking long-hauls international premium travel.
Old Feb 14, 2017, 11:44 am

77WBoeing on the dashboard there is a widget 'Migrating to Privilege Club'. This contains all the information you are looking for and has links to many helpful posts. You will find post 2 especially valuable.
Old Feb 14, 2017, 12:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 77WBoeing
Moving to Doha from the US and currently AA Executive Platinum (with Lifetime Gold Status). Once in Doha, I will be traveling a decent amount all over the world and it will all be in biz. I have been doing a decent amount of research and torn on whether I stay with Advantage Program or switch to Privilege Club.
How long will you be in Qatar for? A short time (1~2 years) or for ever?
What are your objectives from a ffp?

With upgrades USA airlines & non USA airlines have very different policys. Non USA airlines do not give out upgrades like USA based airlines. Look in the QR forum to see how QR upgrade requests are processed.

Look at linked threads in post 3 here http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/onewo...help-here.html

Awards assistance tools
Use at your own risk. These may not be up to date. (These are not recommendations)
These links give a guide of ff miles needed. Availability is from the airline ffp web sites/phone.
Award flights are never guaranteed. You need to be flexible with date and route.
Frequent flyer miles/points are not equal to or burn. They are not 1 to 1
If a multi segment award check the rules/cost carefully. With some ffp’s it can be 2 or more awards or cost more ff miles/points than a direct flight.
If the award is on partner airline it may cost more miles/points than an award on the ffp airline.
Some awards/airlines/routes can have cash surcharges, in addition to real taxes.
Real taxes/regulatory fees are the same for all airlines on the same route/class. Some carrier imposed surcharges can trigger additional real taxes
-AwardAce: Compare Award Redemptions Across Airlines In Seconds --> http://www.awardace.com/ Has surcharge indication
-Economical Excursionist's Tools to compare Frequent Flyer Mile Redemptions --> http://www.flyermiler.com/
-http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...ast-miles.html --> http://www.awardhacker.com/
Old Feb 14, 2017, 12:58 pm

Programs: AA EXP,SPG 75
Originally Posted by remdk
77WBoeing on the dashboard there is a widget 'Migrating to Privilege Club'.
77W, just don't. Privilege Club is by far the weakest frequent flyer program in Oneworld. If you can meet the minimum 4 AA flights to keep status then just stick with that. If you cannot meet that requirement then I'd think about Britsh Airways before troubling myself with Privilege Club.
Old Feb 14, 2017, 1:22 pm

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by YouGeeElWhy
I'd think about Britsh Airways before troubling myself with Privilege Club.
which has a 4 BA flights minimum as well. BAEC has the advantage/disadvantage that the booking classes in premium classes have the same accrual rate, i.e. a discount "R" business class credits as much as an "J"/"D" business class. Moreover, you don't get tier bonus on QR.

The QRPC may be more interesting if more expensive fares (J,D, etc...) are booked, if OP can reach a high tier with QRPC in short time (tier bonus) and if QR continues to offer multiplier promos.

A combo of x5 promo and a tier bonus (the tier bonus is taking into account by the xN promos) could result in much more miles, than you could collect with BAEC on QR.
Old Feb 14, 2017, 4:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by YouGeeElWhy
77W, just don't. Privilege Club is by far the weakest frequent flyer program in Oneworld. If you can meet the minimum 4 AA flights to keep status then just stick with that. If you cannot meet that requirement then I'd think about British Airways before troubling myself with Privilege Club.
If that's the case Qantas QF give QR a very good run at the prize for weakest frequent flyer program in Oneworld.

From 2017, AA does not have the "minimum 4 AA flights to keep status".
BA (and QF) do have the minimum 4 own airline flights to get/keep status.
Old Feb 14, 2017, 9:16 pm
Original Poster

Thanks everyone, this was very helpful. Sounds like I will just stick with AA, or possibly switch to BAEC (will need to diligence that a little more). The most valuable benefit, to me, of a FFP is premium cabin award redemption. A close second would be the ability for some long haul upgrades from economy to biz - AA system wides still decently valuable.

Again, thanks for all the responses!
Old Feb 14, 2017, 9:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The most valuable benefit, to me, of a FFP is premium cabin award redemption.
So that is AA
BA has sky cash surcharges on most awards.

A close second would be the ability for some long haul upgrades from economy to biz - AA system wides still decently valuable.
As for upgrades the general rule is you can only upgrade a flight marketed (flight number) and operated (metal) by the airline of your frequent flyer programme (no codeshares) with your airline ffp upgrade instrument (e.g. SWU, miles) or complementary with status (if applicable) or ff miles/cash co pay. All subject to the t&c's of your frequent flyer program and your paid ticket. Low cost tickets are often not eligible for upgrades.

BA & AA have a limited cross airline upgrades system. They tend to require a very expensive base fare and have t&c’s.
Old Feb 14, 2017, 9:44 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
If that's the case Qantas QF give QR a very good run at the prize for weakest frequent flyer program in Oneworld.

From 2017, AA does not have the "minimum 4 AA flights to keep status".
BA (and QF) do have the minimum 4 own airline flights to get/keep status.
And I'll raise you CX program as worse than QF ;-)
Old Feb 15, 2017, 2:02 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, AA EXP, QFF WP, HH D, SPG G, Hertz PC
ONLY 20%-25% EQD credit on Qatar!
Whilst I would think you might be better with AA given that you value premium award redemptions, The EQD situation is much better than you think.

EQD being calculated as 20-25% of mileage on long haul flights will work out very well.

Take this fare:

MPM-DOH-JFK-DOH-MPM, US$2253, total 20893 miles. You'll spend all up US$2253 including taxes, but given the EQD is calculated from distance, you'll end up with EQD of US$4178 being added to your account (20% of the miles as EQD).

This is a very good thing.
Old Feb 15, 2017, 2:26 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Melia Gold, Shangri-La Jade, BA Amex PP, Iberia+, Nandos Card
Thanks everyone, this was very helpful. Sounds like I will just stick with AA, or possibly switch to BAEC (will need to diligence that a little more). The most valuable benefit, to me, of a FFP is premium cabin award redemption. A close second would be the ability for some long haul upgrades from economy to biz - AA system wides still decently valuable.

Again, thanks for all the responses!
At least you have come to a decision - always good to think things through! and again good luck with the move! ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.