Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

Star Alliance ExPat in Australia

Old May 8, 2018, 10:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS, QF Plat, Marriot/SPG Plat, IHG Plat Amb, Hertz PC, National Exec

I recently accepted an ExPat assignment from the US to Australia from my employer. I’ll be heading down officially later this month but I have earned UA 1K already from the back and forth. My job will require travel within Australia (Melbourne to Perth or Brisbane) on a regular basis, but there doesn’t seem to be many good options for Star Alliance. I’ll also get 1 home visit in Biz annually.

What are my best options? Switch to Quantas/AA or stick it out and see what AirNZ does after the breakup with Virgin?

We will most likely use SQ for leisure family trips to South East Asia, but I’m really unsure what I should do for business. To compound my head scratching, I think I might have a shot at GS this year which would be very cool in and of itself.

Any insight anyone may have would be awesome.
Old May 8, 2018, 10:19 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
For regular travel within Oz you’ll find it hard to steer clear of Qantas (note spelling). And with only one trip on US, your GS won’t do much for you.
Old May 8, 2018, 10:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by willfam3
What are my best options? Switch to Quantas/AA or stick it out and see what AirNZ does after the breakup with Virgin?
I would remain everything as-is instead.

Your biggest problem is your travel will be significantly reduced. Take QF as an example, it takes 4 RT in full fare Y for you to earn a QF Silver (equivalent to UA Silver). So in this case, it will be difficult for you to earn similar level from QF.

AA could be a good alternative. However, the problem is EQD. Unlike UA, AA does not waive EQD requirement to those "outside" the U.S. Instead, AA calculate EQD based on portion of the flight miles of the partners instead.

NZ could be considered as well. Providing your company allows you to fly to Auckland and come back, which is unlikely IMO.
Old May 9, 2018, 1:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I recently accepted an ExPat assignment from the US to Australia from my employer. I’ll be heading down officially later this month but I have earned UA 1K already from the back and forth. My job will require travel within Australia (Melbourne to Perth or Brisbane) on a regular basis, but there doesn’t seem to be many good options for Star Alliance. I’ll also get 1 home visit in Biz annually.

We will most likely use SQ for leisure family trips to South East Asia, but I’m really unsure what I should do for business. To compound my head scratching, I think I might have a shot at GS this year which would be very cool in and of itself.

Any insight anyone may have would be awesome.
Welcome to Melbourne Oz (when you get here) ^
(It is mandatory to select an AFL footy team to support when you live in Melbourne. Your co-workers will explain this within 30 minutes of starting work, if they have not done so already.)
How long will you be in Australia for? Months or a few years or 5 years?

Does your employer have a preferred airline? Many to most large companies do. That may decide for you.
There are no Star Alliance domestic airlines in Australia (RIP Ansett)

If you have a choice, its QF (Oneworld: AA & AS partner) or VA (DL partner).
Also Jetstar (owned by QF) & Tiger (owned by VA), but avoid both if you can.

Air NZ is an extremely poor ffp, even compared to the poor QF ffp. And NZ does not fly domestically in Australia, even though they could if they wanted to. If flying VA very unlikely to earn NZ airpoints after October. Not that you want to.

Many medium~large companies have corporate lounge membership schemes. Paid by the company or discounted if you are employed by a less generous company.

For trips back to USA you have QF, AA, VA, UA, DL & HA and NZ via AKL. QF & VA have non stop flights from MEL. Transferring aircraft at AKL can be better than the domestic-international transfer at SYD. Air NZ business class is an OK product and flys non-stop to several USA airports. Business class airfares can be competitive.

And as above Quantas does not a u

Last edited by Mwenenzi; May 9, 2018 at 4:29 pm Reason: Added AS to QF
Old May 9, 2018, 3:27 am

Programs: UA1K, QF Plat, *A & Marriot Gold, OW Emerald, Hyatt Hertz PC CanPass Nexus APEC Global Entry
I’ve been an expat in Mel for almost 2years, I fly enough Qantas to get gold and then fly air NZ united to get the 1K

works out well well as you end up having benefits all around, I make my Perth visits via auckland so that racks up points but lately the Trent engines are down

dont pick the bombers as your team , they just had more drug problems

the saints are a good choice
Old May 9, 2018, 3:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

QF gold get lounge access

Originally Posted by Jimmie Jet
Don't pick the Bombers as your team , they just had more drug problems

The Saints are a good choice
1) good advice
2) bad advice
Old May 9, 2018, 4:19 am

Programs: M&M SEN, Amex Plat, Club Carlson, Marriott, HHonors & Accor Gold, Velocity Silver, Qantas Bronze
Don't forget, OP will have to learn about cricket too!
Old May 9, 2018, 4:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by vbroucek
Of course. But some people do not comprehend 5 days test matches.
Always a test match at the 'G on Boxing Day ^
Old May 9, 2018, 5:27 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by vbroucek
and new uses for sandpaper too !
Old May 9, 2018, 11:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS, QF Plat, Marriot/SPG Plat, IHG Plat Amb, Hertz PC, National Exec
Thanks for the advice. I guess I'll try an AA Challenge and use OW status on Qantas. I know 1K or GS wont get me much in Australia, but this is most likely my best shot at getting GS and that would just be cool.

We already went to the Essendon/Melbourne footy match. The kid chose Melbourne as his team, but I was kinda partial to the Kanga's from watching them destroy the Hawks.

Originally Posted by Jimmie Jet
the saints are a good choice
Really? Even I know they suck.

We are looking forward to Cricket, we are hearing 20's(?) are fun but wont be as good as baseball. (And I was in town during the Sandpaper / Underwear incident).

It will be interesting to see what AirNZ does after the VA split in OZ.

Thanks again.
Old May 10, 2018, 4:29 am

NZ has stepped up their Trans-Tasman schedule post-break-up already. Highly unlikely they will enter the AU domestic market themselves (apart from the few odd routes from SYD and BNE to NLK). They simply don't have the size and the fleet to take on this market.
Old Sep 3, 2018, 9:16 pm

Programs: UA1K, QF Plat, *A & Marriot Gold, OW Emerald, Hyatt Hertz PC CanPass Nexus APEC Global Entry
As a note , Qantas just had their double status credit sale so with that I racked up 425 status credits in August flying Mel-bne-syd-mel-bne-akl-mel it was a 14 day journey but killed the path to gold on qantas as you only need 600 status credits to re-qualify after doing it the first year at 700 status credits. My trip to DOH tomorrow will hit the 500 at which you get a gift from qantas of 50 status credits

Long story short you only need 275 status credits to re-qualify if you book during the double status credit sale (600-50)/2

there were 2 sales in 2018 so far

Cheer for the Tigers this month.............

this gives you one world sapphire , so lounges baggage etc

Last edited by Jimmie Jet; Sep 3, 2018 at 9:17 pm Reason: added tigers
Old Sep 4, 2018, 2:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The kid chose Melbourne as his team, but I was kinda partial to the Kanga's from watching them destroy the Hawks.
A fine choice your kiddo made in selecting the mighty Melbourne Demons ^

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.