Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Banking Star Alliance Miles on TK or UA?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2023, 9:30 am
Original Poster

Banking Star Alliance Miles on TK or UA?

I fly periodically for business long haul, in business class, on TK. The most likely use of those earned miles are for leisure flights on United... therefore, I have been banking the miles on my United FF account. I'm starting to wonder though, would I be better of banking on M&S, and still use them on United?
Old Jul 8, 2023, 3:07 am
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
Big advantage is complimentary access to UA Clubs for TK*G - even while flying on UA domestic itinetaties and even on Basic Economy fares. Yes - these Clubs are mediocre, but still better than waiting for your flight at the gate.

But please be careful - there is a dedicated thread on this forum about totally idiotic and cumbersome process of redeeming TK miles on non-TK flights.

Choices, choices...
Old Jul 8, 2023, 4:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
M&S has a "use or lose" hard expiry policy. Miles expire at the end of the third year after being earned. So there is no such thing as "banking" miles with M&S.

It is also excruciatingly difficult to use TK miles. Long-haul J awards on TK are now like unicorns and UA award flights are really hard to book.

Perhaps you should look in the direction of Aeroplan if you are looking for a better home for crediting your *A flights.
miamiflyer8 likes this.
Old Jul 9, 2023, 10:08 am

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by craigthemif
M&S has a "use or lose" hard expiry policy. Miles expire at the end of the third year after being earned. So there is no such thing as "banking" miles with M&S.

It is also excruciatingly difficult to use TK miles. Long-haul J awards on TK are now like unicorns and UA award flights are really hard to book.

Perhaps you should look in the direction of Aeroplan if you are looking for a better home for crediting your *A flights.
This!

I am a free agent so I don’t care much about status but AC Aeroplan is great for crediting my Star Alliance long haul J trips to. UA also just devalued their awards so they aren’t worthwhile to me.
Old Jul 9, 2023, 5:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
if leisure flights on UA are in coach ... good plan. In J ... hard to redeem. No expiry and depending what you mean by 'infrequent', it might just work for you. If you fly frequent enough to conceivably get Elite status ... that is worth another look to see how your usual airline and booking classes earn elsewhere on *A relative to Elite thresholds
Old Jul 13, 2023, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
UA for redeeming award flights - no YQ and you can easily see the availabilities and do the whole thing online. However, beware of the luggage allowance displayed by UA as it is not always right.

TK for UC access
Old Jul 15, 2023, 1:20 am

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Originally Posted by nacho
TK for UC access
Could you elaborate on this?
Old Jul 15, 2023, 2:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by nacho
TK for UC access
Originally Posted by invisible
Could you elaborate on this?
If you obtain Elite or Elite Plus status with TK, you can then access United Clubs in the US. United elites cannot...
ISTFlyer and nacho like this.
Old Jul 21, 2023, 10:44 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by craigthemif
If you obtain Elite or Elite Plus status with TK, you can then access United Clubs in the US. United elites cannot...
yes, I will add, when you fly *A airlines.
Old Jul 22, 2023, 12:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Well, if the intention is to book UA domestic flights for cheap with TK M&S I suggest you read through the various recent posts from US credit card milers transferring the points to TK M&S and trying to book award seats they see online on the UA website....good luck!
Old Jul 22, 2023, 5:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Originally Posted by Mama
yes, I will add, when you fly *A airlines.
You have UC access even if you are flying UA within the US if you are any *A G except UA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.