Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Considering moving from UA to BA - anything I haven't thought of?

Old Jan 9, 2015, 5:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist

I used to live in Chicago, and have been a UA frequent flyer for about 7 years, ranging from the 50K-100K level. I've been at the 50K level for the last 4 or 5 years now.

3 years ago I moved to London, and most of my flying is now LHR-USA, in fact mostly LHR-ORD. I make between 4 and 8 trips to the US per year, almost all for work. Our work travel policy is that flights under 5 hours are in economy, and over 5 hours premium economy is allowed. I've been booking economy tickets on UA, but getting "economy plus", which basically means extra legroom (which is vital for me - I'm tall, and have to be able to stretch my legs out due to having had a lot of knee surgery).

I'm trying to decrease the amount I fly, but it's unlikely to ever go below 4 trips/year to the US. If I understand correctly, a return flight in premium economy LHR-ORD would earn 180 tier points, so 4 of those per year would be enough for Silver status on BA. This would appear to give me lounge access and priority security at LHR (which is roughly what I get from UA, in addition to the extra legroom).

Now, I'm guessing that BA premium economy is at least as comfortable as UA economy plus. There also seems to be a slightly better cabin baggage allowance (22x18x10 vs 22x14x9), which would be great for me as I usual fly carryon only, and my B+R carryon is now too big for UA. So it seems to me that I have:

Pluses:
- only need 4 US flights/year for mid-tier status
- probably more comfortable flights

Minuses:
- fuel surcharges on award tickets on BA appear to be pretty horrifying
- won't have status to start with
- can't use TSA Pre in the US (I have Global Entry, which is presumably unaffected)

The other option that had occurred to me was to fly BA but credit to AA. In particular, that would mean that if I ever got to 70k miles/year on BA, I'd get EXP status at AA, with systemwide upgrades the following year. On the other hand, I think I'd have to fly 4 AA flights/year, which might be tricky, and I'm not sure in what other ways I would be gaining, except possibly in lower fuel surcharges.

On other thing that I wondered was whether I could profitably status match my UA status to Air Berlin, and get lounge access that way for my first few BA flights - but would I then have to be crediting to them as well?

Any thoughts would be very welcome, especially pointing out mistakes in my thinking - I don't think I've flown BA in more than 10 years, so this is a bit of a leap in the dark for me!

Last edited by tsg20; Jan 9, 2015 at 5:52 am Reason: adding TSA Pre to minuses
Old Jan 9, 2015, 6:01 am

Programs: BA GCH
Originally Posted by tsg20
- can't use TSA Pre in the US (I have Global Entry, which is presumably unaffected)
You won't be able to use TSA Pre on BA flights anyway. BA don't collect your known-traveler number or participate in the Pre programme.

If you're flying US domestic with a US carrier, and supply your known-traveler number, you should get Pre. This is about the only way I get to use it myself.
Old Jan 9, 2015, 6:12 am

- fuel surcharges on award tickets on BA appear to be pretty horrifying
Only if you insist on flying BA metal l/h.

For US Domestic reward tickets you might be pleasantly surprised at the low fees, plus there's no close-in booking fee like AA levy. Other OW carriers can also be relatively good value, check out NYC-HKG with CX in J or F and you'll find the surcharges are (fairly) reasonable.

EDIT: ORD-NYC-HKG with AA then CX J is 120k + 64. Some of us think 64 is a steal for almost 16h of CX J !

EDIT: s/h rewards round Europe are also good value as the fees are capped, read up on RFS.

On the other hand, I think I'd have to fly 4 AA flights/year, which might be tricky, and I'm not sure in what other ways I would be gaining, except possibly in lower fuel surcharges.
If you opted for AA, couldn't you book a TATL to deliberately include AA or US metal sectors? ORD-NYC-LON or, if you were keen to do it all in one crazy itin, ORD-WAS-NYC-LON or something? That would get you the AA or US metal sectors pretty easily, and probably makes only a marginal difference to price.
Old Jan 9, 2015, 6:27 am

Originally Posted by shorthauldad
If you opted for AA, couldn't you book a TATL to deliberately include AA or US metal sectors? ORD-NYC-LON or, if you were keen to do it all in one crazy itin, ORD-WAS-NYC-LON or something? That would get you the AA or US metal sectors pretty easily, and probably makes only a marginal difference to price.
Why the complication? AA operate ORD-LHR. CX also operate ORD-HKG so not sure why you suggest routing via NYC there too?
Old Jan 9, 2015, 6:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
Main question is will your company policy stretch to premium economy?

BA's World Traveller Plus is considered a separate cabin (you have to pay the higher rate of APD) and is not just the better seats at the front of the main cabin that products like economy plus are. If you book economy, you get economy. No status or seat selection fees will get you into the WTP cabin unless you pay to upgrade.
Old Jan 9, 2015, 6:35 am
Original Poster

Thanks for all this. Quick thoughts:

- I live in London now, so awards would be preferably based from here - I don't know if that removes the possibility of interesting redemptions?

- I've been able to use TSA Pre on most of my US-UK flights, not just domestically in the US, but this is definitely a minor point.

- if I flew AA LHR-ORD, I don't think there's any premium economy? I really don't want to fly with standard economy seat pitches. Also I guess the earning would be 1x miles, rather than 1.5x.
Old Jan 9, 2015, 6:35 am

Programs: I go wherever the content takes me.

Deleted. Garbage!

Last edited by paul4040; Jan 9, 2015 at 6:41 am
Old Jan 9, 2015, 6:36 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by layz
Main question is will your company policy stretch to premium economy?

BA's World Traveller Plus is considered a separate cabin (you have to pay the higher rate of APD) and is not just the better seats at the front of the main cabin that products like economy plus are. If you book economy, you get economy. No status or seat selection fees will get you into the WTP cabin unless you pay to upgrade.
Yes - as I said, flights under 5 hours are economy, but 5 hours or longer (which is surely all flights UK-USA) is premium economy.
Old Jan 9, 2015, 6:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
Yes - as I said, flights under 5 hours are economy, but 5 hours or longer (which is surely all flights UK-USA) is premium economy.
One day I will learn to read

I just read it as you were booking economy at the moment but getting economy plus (presumably due to status) and thought that's what you were expecting on BA.

Anyway, assuming economy plus is just like AA's Main Cabin Extra (regular economy seats but with more space) then BA's WTP will be a better product.

One other thing to consider is if you like the LHR T2 experience whether you'll feel the same in T5. Although I've rarely had issues with security others haven't been as lucky and have had long waits in T5. Give it a shot and see how you like it. Your flights may depart at times the security queue is light.
Old Jan 9, 2015, 6:39 am

Originally Posted by Ldnn1
Why the complication? AA operate ORD-LHR.
OP stated Y+, isn't it worth getting the TATL on BA metal for WTP?

CX also operate ORD-HKG so not sure why you suggest routing via NYC there too?
It was just an example of a loooooong award trip that didn't incur a large
fuel surcharge (since it didn't involve BA metal or any TATL)
Old Jan 9, 2015, 6:41 am

Programs: I go wherever the content takes me.
Thanks for all this. Quick thoughts:

- I live in London now, so awards would be preferably based from here - I don't know if that removes the possibility of interesting redemptions?
Not sure what you mean by "interesting" - but the best value redemptions are RFS ones to Europe. These are capped at £35 in fees for a return, plus the redemptions start at 9000 Avios for the shortest distance. (Places like Dublin, Paris, and so on)

Best to read up on RFS. Long haul redemptions can be eye watering unless you pull a few tricks or fly with another OW carrier.
Old Jan 9, 2015, 6:44 am

Programs: BA Gold
Depends on your definition of 'interesting'. As a BA Silver card holder a WT+ return trip to Chicago will net you sufficient mileage (about 18,000 by my reckoning) for two return tickets to near Europe destination (France, Germany etc... - see calculator) with taxes capped at 35pp return. BA offer cash+Avios combinations still with capped taxes which allow you to get further afield with those Avios, or failing that will let you knock real cost off purchase tickets by trading in your Avios (valuing them around the 0.5p/point mark).

I think the "Earn on longhaul for work, redeem on shorthaul for pleasure" combo for UK-based folks earning/burning on BA is pretty attractive overall.

If your employer pays for WT+ as you say then those Avios could potentially be used to upgrade to Business at negligible cost to yourself - 12,500 each way, and of course subject to availability - if that's what you'd rather use them for.
Old Jan 9, 2015, 7:22 am

Originally Posted by shorthauldad
OP stated Y+, isn't it worth getting the TATL on BA metal for WTP?
Versus flying direct in MCE? Arguable for the overnight. Westbound I'd certainly take MCE direct over WTP + transfer in NYC + Y domestic.

Point was OP was saying if opting for AAdvantage it might be difficult to get 4 AA sectors flying ORD-LHR, when there's a very simple solution to that!

In any case I think BAEC is the best solution for OP's needs so AA sectors doesn't matter (except for extra TPs, but that's a different question!)
Old Jan 9, 2015, 7:52 am

Programs: BA Gold, KLM Ivory, TK Classic Plus, Car Hrtz PC, AVIS Pref, Hotel HH Dia, ICPC Gold, Marriot Gold
Originally Posted by BA97
If your employer pays for WT+ as you say then those Avios could potentially be used to upgrade to Business at negligible cost to yourself - 12,500 each way, and of course subject to availability - if that's what you'd rather use them for.
From my perspective this is easily the best option for AVIOS use
Old Jan 9, 2015, 7:54 am

Programs: BA Gold, Bonvoy Platinum, HH Diamond; others
I made exactly this transition a few years ago (UA MP to BAEC). UK-ORD is one of of popular routes. If you can get BA WTP signed off as normal, then I'd make the switch and don't look back. It's simply better than UA E+ (or AA MCE). You'll earn enough Avios to upgrade a reasonable proportion of the flights to CW (if you can find availability - which is not too bad on the LHR-ORD route).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.