Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Should I switch from UA to AS?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15, 2014, 1:50 pm
Original Poster

Should I switch from UA to AS?

Hi! I am a United Gold member thinking of getting a status match to Alaska Gold but looking for advice, feedback, thoughts. I live in the Seattle area and have always really liked Alaska but rarely fly with them anymore because of Star Alliance. While I have quite a few domestic west coat trips, I fly internationally (South America, SE Asia, Europe) just as much if not more.

It seems like Alaska has a pretty good Mileage Program but given that many of my trips are to destinations that Alaska doesn't fly, I don't know if it makes that much sense. Also it doesn't look like you get lounge access with Delta or AA (or anyone else) on International flights. Can someone clarify this?

Thanks for your help!
Old Nov 16, 2014, 12:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There are several UA vs other ffp in the links in post 3 here http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/infor...help-here.html
Old Nov 16, 2014, 6:26 am
Used to be 'flymanbeast'

Programs: Delta silver/marriot platinum
Switch to us air and challenge to top tier status ( i am doing this)
Old Nov 16, 2014, 7:13 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
You can credit AA and DL flights (among others) to AS, but AS status gives only very limited benefits when you fly either AA or DL. Given that you fly international, I would think that you should also consider at least DL from SEA, maybe (depending on the fares you purchase) AA too but that will mean more connections.

In all of these discussions, you need to think about what you want to get from your FF program: award tickets, upgrades, lounge access, etc.
Old Nov 23, 2014, 2:20 am
Used to be 'flymanbeast'

Programs: Delta silver/marriot platinum
AS does have one ways with stopovers however which is awesome!
Old Nov 23, 2014, 9:28 am

Programs: AS MVPG, Hyatt Discoverist, Hilton Gold
I agree with others. You don't get much international benefit with AS. I primarily fly up and down the West Coast. I get the AS domestic benefits for my paid flights and then use my miles for international vacations.
Old Nov 23, 2014, 5:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
You can credit AA and DL flights (among others) to AS, but AS status gives only very limited benefits when you fly either AA or DL. Given that you fly international, I would think that you should also consider at least DL from SEA, maybe (depending on the fares you purchase) AA too but that will mean more connections.

In all of these discussions, you need to think about what you want to get from your FF program: award tickets, upgrades, lounge access, etc.
Keep in mind that DL, like UA has revenue requirements which for me at least is a deal breaker since I refuse to purposely buy a higher fare to get the same elite status I use to get for less $$...your options if you want a traditional mileage program are AS or AA/US
Old Nov 23, 2014, 6:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
i have been happy with my AS status after switching from UA but not happy enough to prevent me from using my expiring 1K to execute a PM challenge on DL (~40% complete to date).

on AS metal, MVPG is awesome. on DL/AA, it's just "OK". for regional west coast travel AS is the way to go. transcon i'm having trouble making it work and >50% of my domestic travel is transcon. internationally, i tend to buy premium economy on AS partners (or J if the cost is right) and credit to AS, which works fine.
Old Nov 23, 2014, 11:06 pm

Programs: AS: MVPG, Hyatt: P, SPG: G, Marriott: G, IHG: P
I was UA Gold and matched to AS MVPG last November, I re-qualified as MVPG this year.

Domestically I fly AS as much as possible, as ex-SJC I got a really high chance of complimentary upgrades (in fact, I only sit on coach once on AS metal!). For international my main route was SFO-China, so I fly CX's SFO-HKG-China on Premium Economy instead. Downside is that I no longer have lounge access or priority baggage, but the inflight service was much much better than UA's E+.

I also flied some AA this year. MVPG gives me free MCE seat and some priority, which is nice.
Old Nov 24, 2014, 10:37 am

The great thing about AS out of SEA is that for now, you can do your business travel on so many different international airlines. To me, the benefit of having non-stops to so many European cities, Dubai, and Seoul credited to a single program is worth the fact that I don't get FF benefits on those trips. In practice, the main FF benefit people care about is upgrades and you don't get those on international flights anyway.
Old Nov 25, 2014, 9:16 am

Programs: AS MVPG75, UA 1K, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Gold, Starwood Gold, Hilton Platinum
I am getting ready to move back to the Pacific NW after five years in DC and will use this excuse to finally so good riddance to UA. I have 1.2 million lifetime miles on US and thus lifetime gold status, but other than burning up my left over balance, I don't expect to fly UA at all. I just passed MVP and should be MVPG by May or June with the travel I have. So long, UA.
Old Nov 25, 2014, 4:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Originally Posted by peejayemm
I am getting ready to move back to the Pacific NW after five years in DC and will use this excuse to finally so good riddance to UA. I have 1.2 million lifetime miles on US and thus lifetime gold status, but other than burning up my left over balance, I don't expect to fly UA at all. I just passed MVP and should be MVPG by May or June with the travel I have. So long, UA.
Why don't you apply for a Status Match to your UA 1K with AS MVPGold75K? This way you can have all the benefits of AS's top tier status while earning the tier for 2016. Top priority for all those upgrades when you fly AS.
Old Nov 25, 2014, 6:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by Shareholder
Why don't you apply for a Status Match to your UA 1K with AS MVPGold75K? This way you can have all the benefits of AS's top tier status while earning the tier for 2016. Top priority for all those upgrades when you fly AS.
will AS status match an already elite (MVP) member to a higher level? OP's signature indicates he is already AS MVP. most other programs (DL, UA) will only match you if you are dirt (makes no sense, but it is what it is).
Old Nov 25, 2014, 10:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's BB: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

It also prevents one from status matching in the future. Guess I'm in favor of organically achieved status
Old Nov 25, 2014, 10:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by peejayemm
As a UA elite that switched to 100% AS this year, I haven't looked back...the grass doesn't just look greener, it IS greener I will say that it has been sad to watched a one great mileage program self-destruct so quickly....the revenue requirement is what finally kicked me over to AS and now they are raising it even higher

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.