Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > SkyTeam
Reload this Page >

Skyteam vs. Star Alliance (Alitalia vs. UA)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2015, 5:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Platinum Elite

Currently, I have Platinum status with UA, but because I fly rarely to US (I live in Israel) (barely enough to maintain my status with UA), I consider moving to another frequent flyer program.

Skyteam is better for me, because when I fly from Israel to China/Korea, Korean would be much more convenient than LH/Swiss that I normally fly with.

It seems that the only status match program going on with Skyteam is Alitalia, hence the question - is it worth it? Will I be able to maintain my status with them (I usually fly couch, about 50K-70K miles).
Old Jan 5, 2015, 8:18 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: Dynasty Frequent Flyer (Elite Plus),Accor Platinum
Ci can match

Try china airlines to match to their Emerald card. Would give you access as well for domestic flights in Mainland China to lounges compared with Italia. And for the short term give you benefits when flying Korean until you can build more miles on your preferred carrier.
Old Jan 5, 2015, 11:42 pm
Original Poster

Thanks. In case I go with this "short term solution", would KLM or AirFrance be better then Alitalia as a Skyteam frequent flyer program?

As far as routes I take are concerned, there is no much difference for me between these carriers as I fly to different countries in Europe (economy, not business)?
Old Jan 5, 2015, 11:45 pm

Programs: UA Platinum
Would you consider Turkish Airlines? They do status matches to other *A carriers, and have many direct fights to Asia from IST. Also a good economy product and a great lounge in IST.
Old Jan 6, 2015, 1:27 am
Original Poster

The IST lounge is indeed great, I fully agree. Unfortunately, as the political situation between Israel and Turkey deteriorated in the recent years, I try to avoid going there. It is really a pity, but it is what it is.
Old Jan 6, 2015, 3:52 am

Programs: Flying Blue (LTPE) All (Gold)
Originally Posted by gruimed
Thanks. In case I go with this "short term solution", would KLM or AirFrance be better then Alitalia as a Skyteam frequent flyer program?...
Hard to answer as there are too many considerations.
You can analyse different ST programs on the website:
http://www.skyteam.com/en/Frequent-F...Flyer-Program/
For specific program, each one is targeted in a FT forum.
Hope it helps you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.