Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

I'm becoming a frequent flyer! What do I need to know?

Old Jan 7, 20, 6:09 am
Original Poster

Hey guys!!!

I'm moving to Amsterdam for work, but will fly back to CPH 4 times a month to visit my family + girl.

I am thinking this might open some opportunities, considering I can gather many points and will fly alot.

What, are your advice? Are there anything I should be aware of that can come in handy when flying this often? Any deals/opportunities/promotions/hacks?

Cheers!
Old Jan 7, 20, 7:45 am

Programs: HH Diamond, OZ Club Diamond, *A Gold, QFF Gold, BAEC Gold, OW Emerald
Fly with one airline alliance in order to achieve status with them. Then you will gain lounge access and other benefits that you'll come to appreciate immensely. Oh, and a mileage run here and there outside of your normal outing between AMS and CPH might be worth it to reach or maintain an elite tier with the alliance.
Old Jan 7, 20, 8:06 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rybylee View Post
Fly with one airline alliance in order to achieve status with them. Then you will gain lounge access and other benefits that you'll come to appreciate immensely. Oh, and a mileage run here and there outside of your normal outing between AMS and CPH might be worth it to reach or maintain an elite tier with the alliance.
Beautiful! It makes sende, Thanks.
Old Jan 7, 20, 8:07 am

Programs: HH Diamond, OZ Club Diamond, *A Gold, QFF Gold, BAEC Gold, OW Emerald
You're welcome. Good luck my friend!
Old Jan 7, 20, 10:01 am

Hi,

If you want to get a "frequent flyer" status, rybylee is 100% right: stick to one airline.

Which such a short route, it will take quite some time and you won't get billions of miles. Unless you fly Business.

I doubt you will not spend a single weekend in Amsterdam... Anyway, if you don't, it means 96 flights AMS - CPH a year.

If you choose KLM and fly Economy, that will give you 96*5 = 480 XP. Not een enough to reach the Platinium status.

However, it will give you the Gold (280 XP) status only and only after flying 7 months. Once you get it, you will finally be able to sip Heineken at Schipol or eat bread and cheese at CPH.
Old Jan 7, 20, 10:57 am

Programs: UA 1K
Also be mindful airline frequent flyer programs change (for the worse) all the time. From qualification requirements to benefits and all things in between. So keep yourself informed on your airline (and alliance).
Tokyoite likes this.
Old Jan 7, 20, 11:08 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bonboncl View Post
Hi,

If you want to get a "frequent flyer" status, rybylee is 100% right: stick to one airline.

Which such a short route, it will take quite some time and you won't get billions of miles. Unless you fly Business.

I doubt you will not spend a single weekend in Amsterdam... Anyway, if you don't, it means 96 flights AMS - CPH a year.

If you choose KLM and fly Economy, that will give you 96*5 = 480 XP. Not een enough to reach the Platinium status.

However, it will give you the Gold (280 XP) status only and only after flying 7 months. Once you get it, you will finally be able to sip Heineken at Schipol or eat bread and cheese at CPH.
That is a great motivation! Hahaha. Well I only got time to lose.
Old Jan 7, 20, 11:09 am

If you are without any status you can consider these few options to make your life easier or get a headstart:

1. Buy a privium pass membership to get priority (IMO for Schengen destinations not really worth it but check it out)

2. Find a nice friend who has Flying Blue platinum status. By getting an FB AMEX Plat card he can gift/sell you Platinum4two.

AMSCPH gives 10xp and costs EUR90 when booking in advance.
AMSCDGCPH gives 60xp and costs around 450ish

Edit: some more tips😊 booking your other travel EX CPH is sometimes cheaper than EX AMS because airline logic.

Last edited by IAmJasper; Jan 7, 20 at 11:42 am
Old Jan 7, 20, 3:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Deltaworst Peon Level, TSA "Layer 21 Club", NW WP RIP
Being a frequent flyer and collecting miles is a psychological addiction. Seek professional mental help. Whatever you do, do not associate with fellow addicts, they will only enable you.

Oh. Wait. You are already in the Flyertalk mileage run forum. Surrounded by the most hardcore of the hardcore. .

Never mind. Enjoy the flying. Just always remember to have fun. ^
Old Jan 7, 20, 3:58 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Flaflyer View Post
Being a frequent flyer and collecting miles is a psychological addiction. Seek professional mental help. Whatever you do, do not associate with fellow addicts, they will only enable you.

Oh. Wait. You are already in the Flyertalk mileage run forum. Surrounded by the most hardcore of the hardcore. .

Never mind. Enjoy the flying. Just always remember to have fun. ^
Hahah I Will watch out
Old Jan 7, 20, 4:46 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Platinum; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Keblovszki View Post
Hahah I Will watch out
Too late. You are becoming a part of the hardcore of the hardcore.

Just choose the cheapest, most convenient routes and fly as little as you can. Hopefully, status of a FF program is just a by-product.
Happy travels.
Tokyoite, E55 and rill2503456 like this.
Old Jan 7, 20, 5:23 pm

Originally Posted by bonboncl View Post
Hi,

The other good option for status is to sign up with Aegean, and fly SAS. You'll earn 600 miles on cheap economy tickets for direct flights (except the go-light ones), one hop routings will increase commute time and double earnings. You need 24000 miles to get to silver (or 12000 miles + 2 flights on Aegean/Olympic). So 20 weekends gets you to silver (or 10 weekends + 1 trip to Greece). You need another 48000 miles (or 24000 + 4 Aegean/Olympic flights). to get to gold. That's another 40 weekends after getting silver if you aren't flying Aegean, or 20 weekends + 1 trip to a Greek island (actually a bit less since Aegean flights will also earn miles).

More expensive economy and "business" class tickets double that earning rate, so you can save weekends at the cost of spending quite a lot more money. A return trip from AMS to CPH with the more expensive business class options will net you 8000 miles upfront, at a cost of ~ 600 to 700 EUR for the round trip. Slightly cheaper options in Z net you 5000 miles at ~ 500 EUR.

The Aegean earnings rates are at Aegean earning tables

KLM does have the advantage in the Netherlands that you can get a Flying Blue AMEX and earn some spendable miles via that.
Old Jan 10, 20, 6:42 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, HH G,Hyatt E,*A Gold, OW Emerald.
I second going with Aegean M&B. Easier to achieve and retain, more star Alliance presence in Europe and the star Alliance lounges are awesome.
however, some tips about frequent flying.

1. Itís a game. Have fun with convoluted routings, accruals and redemption.

2. Itís risky. All mileage programs eventually devalue, so accrue and spend miles judiciously.

3. Itís addictive. Once you are in, you wonít stop easily.
Old Jan 11, 20, 11:48 pm
E55

This is an hour flight, right? Definitely what Kmxu said, then. Less time spent waiting and less money spent on flights = win.

Originally Posted by Kmxu View Post
Just choose the cheapest, most convenient routes and fly as little as you can. Hopefully, status of a FF program is just a by-product.
Happy travels.
Old Jan 20, 20, 7:34 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, HH Diamond, Marriott 'clink clink' Titanium
I would suggest following the suggestions above and to not track too closely or obsess about your status. Then suddenly (after a few years) you’ll find that you will have both status and a nice nest egg of usable miles.

PS: welcome to the club

Search this Thread
Search Engine: