Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

Anyone successful in getting LX, LH, or SN to status match?

Old Jul 1, 18, 11:01 am
Original Poster

I'm 1K with UA but have moved to Europe (Switzerland specifically), so rarely actually fly on UA. I've attained 1K again for next year, but was really thinking that going through one of the European airlines might make more sense. Obviously, often on LX, but most of my flights this year have actually been SN. When I first moved, I did contact LH and LX about status match, but they said "no". Has anyone actually been successful? I'm going okay staying with UA, but not capturing award miles very quickly (since my tickets are rarely booked through UA - I have no control over how they are booked).
Old Jul 1, 18, 11:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Berlin, Germany; Toronto, Canada; and SW Florida, USA
Programs: UA 1K, BA Gold, Hyatt Globalist, and assorted others
No *A airline will status match within their own alliance. I personally think UA is one of the best programmes to earning redeem on, especially since you won't be subject to spend levels or associated earning. Depending on whether or not you fly paid J, LX or LH M&M isn't going to get you something you wouldn't get on UA MP.
Old Jul 1, 18, 11:16 am
Original Poster

I'd estimate fly probably about 75% paid J. And, yes, I got the waiver for spending (still need to do four paid flights on UA metal - which is why I'm at 97K but still have no status confirmed for next year - that will be sorted with a flight next month - but that shouldn't be a problem).

So far, the only things I've noticed that I don't get (other than not getting as many award miles for UA) are seat selection on Swiss (for the "good" seats) and LHR LH lounge generally doesn't give me a pass to the Senator lounge (but I prefer the UA and AC lounges anyway - and my last trip I did get a ticket for the "special room"). Neither of which are a big deal.

And UA seems easier to get Star Gold than LH or LX.
ToddSpam likes this.
Old Jul 7, 18, 12:18 pm

Programs: UA 1K, DL PM
As long as you're not having a problem getting the 4 UA flights per year I'd stay with Mileage Plus just for the GPUs. Even though UA won't have F soon, you can use them on long haul LH flights from C, D, & J to F. I certainly wouldn't give up 1K to change to M&M Senator status, the only way I'd consider the change is if you can get HON Circle.
ElJudioErrante likes this.
Old Jul 11, 18, 12:19 am
Original Poster

I think I'm okay with the four UA flights (definitely am this year). Sounds like consensus is to stick with MileagePlus. I am annoyed that my award miles are being earned as a seriously reduced rate (rarely do I have a 016 ticket number), but switching to M&M doesn't change that (and spreads out where I'm earning miles).

And, no, I wouldn't get HON Circle.
Old Jul 11, 18, 9:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Berlin, Germany; Toronto, Canada; and SW Florida, USA
Programs: UA 1K, BA Gold, Hyatt Globalist, and assorted others
If you are a 1K you should always have SEN lounge access. Not sure what is going on there.
zeer0 likes this.
Old Jul 11, 18, 10:40 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LondonElite View Post
If you are a 1K you should always have SEN lounge access. Not sure what is going on there.
I don't understand either - I should have gotten in even when I was Gold and Platinum. To be fair, I never really thought about it and never asked. If it happens again (I don't get the little access slip), I'll ask for it.
Old Jul 12, 18, 1:03 am

Programs: UA 1K, DL PM
Originally Posted by frontenac551 View Post
I don't understand either - I should have gotten in even when I was Gold and Platinum. To be fair, I never really thought about it and never asked. If it happens again (I don't get the little access slip), I'll ask for it.
Senator interestingly enough is their *G lounge. I use it in IAD all the time, but even in Europe when I've used LH and LX lounges, there have been no questions asked, just directed to the Senator lounge after scanning my boarding pass.
Old Jul 12, 18, 2:22 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz, and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Not sure what you mean by the little access slip. Just scan your BP at the entrance or if it fails show them your 1K card and you should be fine.
Old Jul 12, 18, 8:53 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by NewbieRunner View Post
Not sure what you mean by the little access slip. Just scan your BP at the entrance or if it fails show them your 1K card and you should be fine.
The last time that I was there, the agent at the front desk handed me a slip with a QR code on it that I could use to scan at the door to the Senator lounge.

For those who've not been to the LH lounge at LHR, the Senator lounge is a basically room within/attached to the Business lounge. There is only an agent at the main entrance (who scans your BP) and then an automated dooe at the entrance to the Senator lounge part). Though perhaps scanning your BP there works.

It's the only place where I've had issues with accessing the Senator lounge (as has been said, as *Gold, I should have access). And, really, not a big deal.
Old Jul 12, 18, 5:39 pm
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz, and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
The last time that I was there, the agent at the front desk handed me a slip with a QR code on it that I could use to scan at the door to the Senator lounge.

For those who've not been to the LH lounge at LHR, the Senator lounge is a basically room within/attached to the Business lounge. There is only an agent at the main entrance (who scans your BP) and then an automated dooe at the entrance to the Senator lounge part). Though perhaps scanning your BP there works.

It's the only place where I've had issues with accessing the Senator lounge (as has been said, as *Gold, I should have access). And, really, not a big deal.
It's a long time since I was in the LH lounge in LHR and they have made several changes to how they controlled entrance to the SEN lounge. As *G you should have access to the SEN lounge, so if the front desk does not give you whatever you need to access the SEN lounge you should ask for one. It's also possible that your BP has the necessary information to give you access to the SEN lounge.
Old Nov 12, 18, 5:15 am

Programs: ex-Aeroplan Elite; A3 Gold; Hertz #1 club

If *G is on your boarding pass, the desk on the way in gives you a little slip to be scanned to access the Senator Lounge at the back. It has enhanced food options. This has worked for me multiple times, flying in economy on lots of different * airlines.
Old Nov 16, 18, 9:34 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond (*G), HHonors Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, SkyPesos, AAdvantage, MR
I've accessed the LH Senator Lounge at LHR many times with *G status. Just like others said, the agents give you a slip to use to get into the "lounge within a lounge".

The agent may have forgotten. Just make sure you mention it next time if they don't give you a slip.
Old Nov 17, 18, 5:17 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by donard View Post
If *G is on your boarding pass, the desk on the way in gives you a little slip to be scanned to access the Senator Lounge at the back. It has enhanced food options. This has worked for me multiple times, flying in economy on lots of different * airlines.
Originally Posted by zeer0 View Post
I've accessed the LH Senator Lounge at LHR many times with *G status. Just like others said, the agents give you a slip to use to get into the "lounge within a lounge".

The agent may have forgotten. Just make sure you mention it next time if they don't give you a slip.
Yes, now that I know that I need a slip, I'll ask for one if I'm not just given one next time.

Search this Thread