Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Information Desk
Reload this Page >

Need your guidance, please

Need your guidance, please

Old Oct 15, 2014, 12:11 am
Original Poster

Question Need your guidance, please

Hi All,

It have been a while since I had frequent flights/hotel stays and I'm really out of the scene, and I would appreciate your assistance.

I have tried to do my research, but it's getting too ramified on the way of finding an answer (my mind hurts already ).

I will put the question in its raw state, and if someone has an insight, that would be great.

So - I am currently residing in Singapore and have collected approx 200k CitiMiles in my Citibank visa. I can transfer them to FF points on 1:1 in the following companies:
  • KrisFlyer
  • Asia Miles
  • Royal Orchid Plus
  • SkyMiles
  • Executive Club
  • Enrich
  • Infinity MileageLands
  • Garuda Frequent Flyer
  • Etihad Guest

The tricky thing is that I will be moving to Canada soon, and my flights would probably be within the US & Canada. I've tried to look up what's the companies' benefits are in the states, but I got lost.

Any captain to save me around?

Thanks in advance!!!
Old Oct 15, 2014, 12:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Welcome to FT!

Assuming that "Executive Club" refers to the British Airways Executive Club, here is the BAEC redemption chart:

http://thepointsguy.com/wp-content/u...ward-Chart.png

These rates are for one-way travel on a single flight number; if connections are necessary, you must compute the Avios needed for each flight based on the length (in miles) of each flight.

For travel within the U.S., or between the U.S. and Canada, BAEC Avios can be redeemed for travel on AA, AS, and US.
Old Oct 15, 2014, 5:33 am

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
When you're dealing with programs that charge fuel surcharges (all of these do except DL) then BA is often one of the best deals for point to point flights but if you're making connections then a distance based (total trip, not per segment) or region based program are usually better.

Keep in mind also, all except DL have hard set expiration dates on the miles once you transfer them, so unless you'll close your Singapore Citi account then I'd leave the points set until you actually need them. If they operate the same as Citi Japan then those points don't expire as long as you have an account.

For the US, Amex has a number of the same partners via Membership Rewards so that'd be at least one good program to use to complement whatever you have from Citi now. There are so many good deals though in the US depending on what kinds of miles you want. With just modest spending you could cycle through them all in a couple years and reap the rewards of all should you wish.
Old Oct 15, 2014, 7:10 am

Programs: Caesars-Diamond Hilton-Diamond IHG-Plat MGM-Gold Wyndham-Diamond Hertz-PresCircle National-Exec
Doesn't this post belong in The Information Desk?
Old Oct 15, 2014, 8:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

"When you're dealing with programs that charge fuel surcharges (all of these do except DL) then BA is often one of the best deals for point to point flights but if you're making connections then a distance based (total trip, not per segment) or region based program are usually better."

BA does not assess fuel surcharges on AA, AS, or US for travel wholly within the Americas.
Old Oct 15, 2014, 8:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Keep in mind also, all except DL have hard set expiration dates on the miles once you transfer them, so unless you'll close your Singapore Citi account then I'd leave the points set until you actually need them. If they operate the same as Citi Japan then those points don't expire as long as you have an account.
Not sure I understand what you're saying here. Sure, BA,AA,US, etc, all have expiration dates, but normally any activity in the account extends the date, so we usually don't worry much about that.

Unless you're saying that transferred-in miles are treated differently than, say, BIS miles, which I don't believe is the case.
Old Oct 15, 2014, 10:47 am

Programs: Hyatt, SPG, IHG
Please move this to information forum.
Old Oct 15, 2014, 10:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by BigLar
Not sure I understand what you're saying here. Sure, BA,AA,US, etc, all have expiration dates, but normally any activity in the account extends the date, so we usually don't worry much about that.

Unless you're saying that transferred-in miles are treated differently than, say, BIS miles, which I don't believe is the case.
SQ miles expire, IIRC in three years, regardless of account activity. There might be exceptions for elites, etc.

DL is notorious for poor award ticket availability and for an award calendar that doesn't work (and sometimes shows availability when it isn't there or when the award itineraries feature horrible schedules and overnight connections). Don't transfer miles to DL unless you are sure you can redeem at reasonable prices in miles for flights you want.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.