Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Exec Platinum relocated to Latin America

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2016, 9:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Exec Plat, SPG Plat, HHonors Diamaond

Wondering if anyone here may have experience with this.

I recently relocated to Latin America and already well on my way to Exec Platinum status again this year. This week I have my first flight booked with LAN. They have yet to acknowledge a status match. Also, the system for whatever reason is not connecting with my AA number so they are not recognizing Emerald status. I can't get on another phone call to try and explain the situation with LAN as they can't seem to get anything done.

My question is this...I will not hit top tier this year with either airline because my company books X fairs (.5 EQM's) so I am kind screwed with AA. I won't fly enough on a new airline to get top tier in the second half of the year. I'm at 50k with American so far this year but won't fly them anymore as most of my travel will be within LatAm. Is there anyway around the system in this matter? Or is my best bet to hope for a 2016 status match with Lan and then try to get a status match for next year with Avianca?

Thanks for any help.
Old May 8, 2016, 9:36 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat 4MM, AA Life Plat, Lufthansa FT, Delta Basic
Welcome to Flyertalk.

AA and Lan, actually the new Latam, (Lan + TAM) are part of the same Oneworld alliance. So talking Status Match is irrelevant. Your flights on Lan and TAM all contribute to your AA EXP status as long as you have 4 segments on AA in 2016 and you make Lan recognize your AAdvantage number.

If Lan does not recognize your AA number, either it is a glitch or they are playing dumb (they do this a lot and I am not even sure they are playing...) you do not have to take it sitting and you'd better MAKE them recognize it. One good way to do this if you feel that a Lan agent is unhelpful is HUACA (hang up and call again). Eventually you will fall on someone competent as they are rare but they exist.

One possible cause for them not recognizing your AA number is the merger in progress between Lan and TAM. It's been difficult enough for United and Continental or Delta and Northwest, but given the usual lack of organization at both Lan and TAM (and on top of it employees hate the other airline's staff...) they may be in well above their heads trying to coordinate. I do not have much respect for either airline's skills.

Best of luck !

Last edited by Cofyknsult; May 9, 2016 at 5:48 am
Old May 8, 2016, 9:43 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
AA is adding a tier next year, iirc - though we don't know what it will require. It may be you'll have to earn Platinum this year or for an interim period until you're no longer an expat.
Old May 8, 2016, 9:43 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Cofyknsult
AA and Lan, actually the new Latam, (Lan + TAM) are part of the same Oneworld alliance. So talking Status Match is irrelevant. Your flights on Lan and TAM all contribute to your AA EXP status as long as you have 4 segments on AA in 2016 and you make Lan recognize your AAdvantage number.
Thanks for the input. The status match is important because I only get .5 EQMs towards AA status for the year 2017 because I always end up on an X booking code. So I would have to fly 100k miles in the next six months on Latam to achieve EXP again, which won't happen.
Old May 8, 2016, 10:26 pm

May I ask what country in South America you're relocating to?
Old May 9, 2016, 6:34 am

Programs: AA ExPlat 4MM, AA Life Plat, Lufthansa FT, Delta Basic
Originally Posted by JDiver
AA is adding a tier next year, iirc - though we don't know what it will require. It may be you'll have to earn Platinum this year or for an interim period until you're no longer an expat.
Slightly off topic, AFAIK the "new tier" is only an often admitted educated deduction which could take a different form (same tiers number, different levels, etc...) or is there something I have missed ? Of course we all know SOMETHING will happen.
Old May 9, 2016, 8:51 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Viajero Millero
May I ask what country in South America you're relocating to?
Colombia
Old May 9, 2016, 9:53 am

Programs: AA-PLT, HH-GLD, PP
Welcome to Colombia! I've lived here for almost a decade and I love it. I hope you will enjoy it too.

Here are my thoughts:

1) If you think AV is the better choice long term, then apply for a status match after June 30. I think that may get you top tier through the end of 2017. I would go to the AV forum and ask about that there. If I was flying a lot of intra-Latin America, I'd probably choose AV over LAN, but it would really depend on who serves my destinations better. If you'll have to do much intra-Colombia flying, then AV is by far the better choice.

2) If you want to stay LAN/OW, then push for the status match. You should be able to get it.
Old May 9, 2016, 11:54 am

Programs: Double OWE (AA EXP, QF Plat), FI Gold
I'm not sure LATAM offers status matches (I tried in 2012 and they didn't even understand the concept - things might have changed or be different in Colombia). I've been based in SCL for seven years, and after two years with LANPass, I decided to go back to AA as the LANPass program isn't nearly as robust as AAdvantage, and I do plan to move back to the US. Of course, I earn at a lower rate than I would on AA metal, but at least I get something and, this being Chile, LATAM is a no-brainer. Also, things like mileage upgrades and SWUs can't be used on LA, but most of my flights on LATAM aren't long-haul - most of my long-haul flights are usually to the USA so I fly AA.

But Colombia is a different matter. I have flown AV a few times, and overall enjoyed it. There was nothing to draw me away from oneworld, but nothing that would keep me from switching if it were a more convenient airline for my itineraries. AV will match your status, and very easily - I've done it, and although it required an in-person visit to an Avianca CTO, it worked out well. The experience is different, if that matters to you - the LAN lounges are much nicer (especially in BOG) and I find the differences of in-flight mid- and long-haul services to fall a little more in favor of LAN, but AV is a solid airline.

Check out the LAN/LATAM and Avianca forums here - there's decent information there.
Old May 9, 2016, 1:45 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by coolcoil
Welcome to Colombia! I've lived here for almost a decade and I love it. I hope you will enjoy it too.

Here are my thoughts:

1) If you think AV is the better choice long term, then apply for a status match after June 30. I think that may get you top tier through the end of 2017. I would go to the AV forum and ask about that there. If I was flying a lot of intra-Latin America, I'd probably choose AV over LAN, but it would really depend on who serves my destinations better. If you'll have to do much intra-Colombia flying, then AV is by far the better choice.

2) If you want to stay LAN/OW, then push for the status match. You should be able to get it.
So far I like it a lot. It feels like the right place for me professionally and personally. That's what I was looking for. If either of the two companies will status match through the end of 2017, I will be their customer.

Originally Posted by zpaul
I'm not sure LATAM offers status matches (I tried in 2012 and they didn't even understand the concept - things might have changed or be different in Colombia). I've been based in SCL for seven years, and after two years with LANPass, I decided to go back to AA as the LANPass program isn't nearly as robust as AAdvantage, and I do plan to move back to the US. Of course, I earn at a lower rate than I would on AA metal, but at least I get something and, this being Chile, LATAM is a no-brainer. Also, things like mileage upgrades and SWUs can't be used on LA, but most of my flights on LATAM aren't long-haul - most of my long-haul flights are usually to the USA so I fly AA.

But Colombia is a different matter. I have flown AV a few times, and overall enjoyed it. There was nothing to draw me away from oneworld, but nothing that would keep me from switching if it were a more convenient airline for my itineraries. AV will match your status, and very easily - I've done it, and although it required an in-person visit to an Avianca CTO, it worked out well. The experience is different, if that matters to you - the LAN lounges are much nicer (especially in BOG) and I find the differences of in-flight mid- and long-haul services to fall a little more in favor of LAN, but AV is a solid airline.

Check out the LAN/LATAM and Avianca forums here - there's decent information there.
I don't have a preference either...customer service is my number one concern. Avianca serves the major capitals and I will be mainly in GRU, SCL, MEX, and EZE, with an occasional trip to New York. In that regard, LAN right now is killing me but maybe they'll surprise me at the airport tomrrow. Thanks for the input.
Old May 9, 2016, 2:13 pm

Programs: Double OWE (AA EXP, QF Plat), FI Gold
Originally Posted by avlfutbol
...customer service is my number one concern.
You just chose Avianca.
Old May 9, 2016, 3:13 pm

Programs: AA-PLT, HH-GLD, PP
Originally Posted by zpaul
You just chose Avianca.
I suspect that there are a lot of people on the AV forum who would disagree.

I've never had a problem with either one of them, but I've been fortunate in that all of my trips were very straightforward with no IRROPS or other delays, so I have had to test their customer service.
Old May 10, 2016, 11:59 am

I have to agree with previous posters. Stay as AA PLT for this year if you already got it (and until Feb 2018), but get the match with Avianca and start flying there.

Use whichever airline alliance is convenient for this year (on prices, hours, etc) and next year switch it all to Avianca.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.