Wiki Posts
Search

Where to Credit LATAM

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2019, 9:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K MM - AF G – TK G – AZ Ex – Hilton D – Marriott G – IHG P
Where to Credit LATAM

I'm a UA 1K, but I have a lot of LATAM flights coming up, most of which are business class. Since I'm normally on Star Alliance, I don't really have a good idea about where I should credit these miles so I want to run it by some folks with Oneworld experience. Any creative ideas?

I do use Cathay sometimes, so that's kind of my default option, but I'm not sure AsiaMiles is that great of a program. The other one I use is Emirates but I assume I can't credit there.
Old May 24, 2019, 10:06 am
Moderator, OneWorld

Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP
Originally Posted by TomA
I'm a UA 1K, but I have a lot of LATAM flights coming up, most of which are business class. Since I'm normally on Star Alliance, I don't really have a good idea about where I should credit these miles so I want to run it by some folks with Oneworld experience. Any creative ideas?

I do use Cathay sometimes, so that's kind of my default option, but I'm not sure AsiaMiles is that great of a program. The other one I use is Emirates but I assume I can't credit there.
Have a look at Alaska Airlines; they're partners with Latam, CX, lots of others, soon including SQ. It's quite a good and versatile program. https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...rline-partners
Old May 24, 2019, 10:54 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Gardyloo
Have a look at Alaska Airlines; they're partners with Latam, CX, lots of others, soon including SQ. It's quite a good and versatile program. https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...rline-partners
Interesting idea. I've heard people talk about Alaskan a lot, though when I'm in the US, I'm Florida based so I never fly Alaskan. Do they have any requirements that you actually need to fly their metal or can you just use it as a stray miles piggybank?
Old May 24, 2019, 11:40 am
Moderator, OneWorld

Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP
Interesting idea. I've heard people talk about Alaskan a lot, though when I'm in the US, I'm Florida based so I never fly Alaskan. Do they have any requirements that you actually need to fly their metal or can you just use it as a stray miles piggybank?
If you want elite status, then, sure, you need to fly on their metal. However you can also use the miles as a piggy bank. Note that since AS acquired Virgin America, their route system has grown substantially.

Old May 24, 2019, 3:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Where do you credit Cathay flights to now?
AA ffp is another option, Does not have the own airline flight rule for status.
BA has a 2/4 flight on BA / IB for status. Is not revenue based.
AS is not (yet) a revenue based ffp. AA is an AS partner on international flights, but not USA domestic flights. EK is an AS ff partner.

https://www.wheretocredit.com/latam-airlines/j

Oneworld:- Deciding on a Oneworld Frequent Flyer Program? Help is here

Having multiple ffp’s with low balances is never a good idea. You may never get enough ff miles/points to be of use before they expire. Adding frequent miles in a ff program that you can use, are worth more than ff miles in an orphan ffp that you will never use, even if the earning rate is nominally better.

So be mindful of expiry Miles/Points that Do and Don't Expire. Click to open the wiki.

Last edited by Mwenenzi; May 24, 2019 at 5:32 pm
Old May 25, 2019, 2:02 pm

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
For business class, LATAM yields 100% base miles and ZERO class of service bonus toward AS EQM. In fact Premium Econ W-fare yield 10% bonus. Go figure!
For RDM, LATAM offers 100% additional bonus.
Old Jun 9, 2019, 3:49 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
Where do you credit Cathay flights to now?
AA ffp is another option, Does not have the own airline flight rule for status.
BA has a 2/4 flight on BA / IB for status. Is not revenue based.
AS is not (yet) a revenue based ffp. AA is an AS partner on international flights, but not USA domestic flights. EK is an AS ff partner.

https://www.wheretocredit.com/latam-airlines/j

Oneworld:- Deciding on a Oneworld Frequent Flyer Program? Help is here

Having multiple ffp’s with low balances is never a good idea. You may never get enough ff miles/points to be of use before they expire. Adding frequent miles in a ff program that you can use, are worth more than ff miles in an orphan ffp that you will never use, even if the earning rate is nominally better.

So be mindful of expiry Miles/Points that Do and Don't Expire. Click to open the wiki.
I credit Cathay to Asia Miles, though the program kinda sucks. I credit EK to EK because it doesn't take too much to get free upgrades.
I've never flown BA and haven't flown AA in 20 years. I rarely fly US domestic (1-2 times per year). I fly international constantly... literally.
Thanks for the links.

Originally Posted by allset2travel
For business class, LATAM yields 100% base miles and ZERO class of service bonus toward AS EQM. In fact Premium Econ W-fare yield 10% bonus. Go figure!
For RDM, LATAM offers 100% additional bonus.
I'd only care about RDM. Never fly Alaska, but would be ok to get a free trip as that's the only state I've never been to.
Old Jun 9, 2019, 4:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'd only care about RDM. Never fly Alaska, but would be ok to get a free trip as that's the only state I've never been to.
Alaska Airlines HO is in Seattle, Washington. Flys to many USA cities
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alaska_Airlines
Old Jun 10, 2019, 11:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond

A common mistake. Alaska Airlines is based in Seattle.

But besides that, AS has by far the best award chart for international premium cabin award travel so it's definitely where to credit any potential flights that don't have status implications elsewhere for you.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 6:54 am
mhy

Programs: JGC
Does anyone know how long it takes for LATAM miles to credit to JAL Fly On Points? I'm relying on a JFK<->LIM trip in J (in August) to reach Sapphire this year and want to make sure it's not going to take months.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 9:32 am

Programs: AA EXP (2MM), Marriott Tit
Originally Posted by mhy
Does anyone know how long it takes for LATAM miles to credit to JAL Fly On Points? I'm relying on a JFK<->LIM trip in J (in August) to reach Sapphire this year and want to make sure it's not going to take months.
It's only one data point, but I flew MIA-LIM on Friday, and the flight posted to AA on Sunday.
mhy likes this.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 8:58 am
mhy

Originally Posted by PlatinumScum
It's only one data point, but I flew MIA-LIM on Friday, and the flight posted to AA on Sunday.
Thank you, I hope it's that fast for JAL too!
Old Jul 8, 2019, 7:51 pm

Programs: AA 4MM EXP; Starwood Lifetime Plt
LATAM and the Lufthansa group have some kind of agreement. Maybe you could credit LATAM flights to LH.
Old Aug 11, 2019, 5:18 pm
mhy

Just to add a data point for LATAM crediting to JAL, I flew JFK-LIM last week and my miles / FOP posted to JAL within 2 business days.
PlatinumScum likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.