Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

Debating between Miles and Smiles and Eurobonus

Debating between Miles and Smiles and Eurobonus

Old Jan 7, 19, 8:00 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 6
Debating between Miles and Smiles and Eurobonus

I am based in Belgium and fly 3-4 time a month mainly European routes (I work part of my time in the Nordics) and mostly premium economy. I typically fly a mix of SAS and Brussels Airlines/Lufthansa. Until now I have been putting my miles into Miles and More (or less rather), but I realise now that if I switch to M&S or Eurobonus, I should be able to hit gold. On the one hand Eurobonus is a natural choice as i can probably fly SAS most of the time, but the global nature of TK attracts me. I only have a couple of concerns:

- I see posts stating other SA airlines do not respect the Elite status of M&S as gold (I saw specifically a post on SAS which worry me)
- It is not clear to me if Elite gives you Star alliance gold lounge access globally which is a crucial point for me.

First flight is thisThursday so need to choose. Any advice insight will help :-)
al2813 is offline  
Old Jan 7, 19, 8:22 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: HEL
Programs: Only Gold card I have is at F24Seven :D
Posts: 4,955
If you fly premium tickets, M&S is my bet. SK Plus tickets earn well on M&S and redemptions will be better for you after all SK ”enhancements”
Elite with MS is star gold, accepted all places like any other gold card.
FFlash is online now  
Old Jan 7, 19, 8:42 am
  #3  
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: BOM/DEL/GAU
Programs: A few airlines, hotel programs and car rentals
Posts: 1,121
If you do decide to go with TK M&S, just be warned though that TK is plagued with numerous 'IT' issues (esp. in their FF program), and it seems to have gotten worse after their IT 'upgrade'. There are various thread in this forum related to that.
AvidFlyer1990 is offline  
Old Jan 7, 19, 8:54 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Barcelona, London, on a plane
Programs: BA Gold, TK E+, IB+, VS FC, Hyatt Globalist, MR Plat Prem, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Posts: 8,099
Don't forget Aegean as an option for easy *G, although you do have to visit Greece occasionally.
craigthemif is offline  
Old Jan 7, 19, 2:01 pm
  #5  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 6
Originally Posted by craigthemif View Post
Don't forget Aegean as an option for easy *G, although you do have to visit Greece occasionally.
don’t plan to visit Greece this year so had to exclude Aegean.
al2813 is offline  
Old Jan 7, 19, 2:05 pm
  #6  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 6
Originally Posted by AvidFlyer1990 View Post
If you do decide to go with TK M&S, just be warned though that TK is plagued with numerous 'IT' issues (esp. in their FF program), and it seems to have gotten worse after their IT 'upgrade'. There are various thread in this forum related to that.
thx will check this. I am really hesitating
al2813 is offline  
Old Jan 7, 19, 3:22 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Programs: OWE,*A G, Bonvoy LT TE, HHonors Diamond, WoH Globalist
Posts: 862
M&S membership period is two years, Eurobonus is one year. M&S Elite requires 40k miles during last 12 months to obtain,25k in first membership year and 37,5k in two years to maintain. Eurobonus Gold requires 45k miles per calendar year to obtain first and then maintain.
Jaenks is offline  
Old Jan 7, 19, 10:35 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: BOM/DEL/GAU
Programs: A few airlines, hotel programs and car rentals
Posts: 1,121
Originally Posted by Jaenks View Post
M&S membership period is two years, Eurobonus is one year. M&S Elite requires 40k miles during last 12 months to obtain,25k in first membership year and 37,5k in two years to maintain. Eurobonus Gold requires 45k miles per calendar year to obtain first and then maintain.
Maybe I am interpreting it wrong, but, this is how M&S Elite works (per my understanding):

When starting out from Base / Classic, you need 40k miles in the FIRST year to get Elite. That is valid for 2 years. To renew, you can EITHER fly 25k miles (during your renewal year) OR 37.5k miles during the 2 year period. Each time you renew, your validity of your status extends by 2 more years!

P.S.: Assuming you a non-Turkish resident!

Last edited by AvidFlyer1990; Jan 7, 19 at 11:30 pm
AvidFlyer1990 is offline  
Old Jan 8, 19, 4:11 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Programs: OWE,*A G, Bonvoy LT TE, HHonors Diamond, WoH Globalist
Posts: 862
Originally Posted by AvidFlyer1990 View Post
Maybe I am interpreting it wrong, but, this is how M&S Elite works (per my understanding):
When starting out from Base / Classic, you need 40k miles in the FIRST year to get Elite. That is valid for 2 years. To renew, you can EITHER fly 25k miles (during your renewal year) OR 37.5k miles during the 2 year period. Each time you renew, your validity of your status extends by 2 more years!
P.S.: Assuming you a non-Turkish resident!
You are correct, that is what I meant but obviously wrote 12 months instead of first year. There is a soft landing to the next lower level for the following two year period when not re-qualifying. I noticed that when I qualified to Elite+, my membership period month changed, it started from the day I was achieved Elite+. I do not remember that was same with Elite qualifying, got it with status match.
Jaenks is offline  
Old Jan 8, 19, 4:21 am
  #10  
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: BOM/DEL/GAU
Programs: A few airlines, hotel programs and car rentals
Posts: 1,121
Originally Posted by Jaenks View Post
I noticed that when I qualified to Elite+, my membership period month changed, it started from the day I was achieved Elite+. I do not remember that was same with Elite qualifying, got it with status match.
AFAIK, it should be 2 years since your status got upgraded to ELPL! And yes, soft-landing is good, but the ELPL vouchers are better!!
AvidFlyer1990 is offline  
Old Jan 8, 19, 4:26 am
  #11  
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Programs: OWE,*A G, Bonvoy LT TE, HHonors Diamond, WoH Globalist
Posts: 862
Originally Posted by AvidFlyer1990 View Post
AFAIK, it should be 2 years since your status got upgraded to ELPL! And yes, soft-landing is good, but the ELPL vouchers are better!!
It is two years, but my Elite membership year started in October,Elite+ started in August because I qualified first time in end of July or beginning of August, do not remember exactly. Elite+ vouchers are main reason to be Elite+, then comes the direct lounge access with immigration stand in IST.
Jaenks is offline  
Old Jan 8, 19, 7:50 am
  #12  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 6
Thanks for the feedback. Am indeed leaning towards M&S
Just one last one I asked and nobody answered. Can anyone confirm Elite allows access to *A lounges (so in Stockholm, Copenhagen, Brussels and Frankfurt which are my main airports)?
al2813 is offline  
Old Jan 8, 19, 11:41 am
  #13  
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: HFA
Posts: 1,547
Elite is Star Gold, so yes it should.

Shuly
shuly is online now  
Old Jan 8, 19, 11:51 am
  #14  
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: LAX
Programs: TK M&S, LH MM, Global Entry, Hertz Gold, Sixt Platinum
Posts: 1,041
Originally Posted by al2813 View Post
Thanks for the feedback. Am indeed leaning towards M&S
Just one last one I asked and nobody answered. Can anyone confirm Elite allows access to *A lounges (so in Stockholm, Copenhagen, Brussels and Frankfurt which are my main airports)?
Definitely. You even get the LH Senator lounges. As long as it’s a *A lounge, you have access as *G. At airports that only have contract lounges you usually get a voucher for lounge access at check-in (I can only think of LJU at the moment), but sometimes that isn’t the case, CTG was my most recent experience.
gr8pirate is offline  
Old Jan 8, 19, 12:02 pm
  #15  
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Programs: TK Elite
Posts: 183
Originally Posted by al2813 View Post
Thanks for the feedback. Am indeed leaning towards M&S
Just one last one I asked and nobody answered. Can anyone confirm Elite allows access to *A lounges (so in Stockholm, Copenhagen, Brussels and Frankfurt which are my main airports)?
Yes, Elite allows access to *A lounges. I've been several times in different LH SEN lounges, one time in CPH/SAS, Mapple Leaf Lounge in FRA/AC, Contract lounge in CGK, *A-lounges in EZE and GRU.

So, no worries, you will have access.
axxoo25 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: