Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA Gold GL moving to USA....should I switch affiliation ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2018, 11:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Exec Club

Hi everyone. I've been a long standing BA member and got the GL card this year. Looks like I'll be GL or maybe Gold for the next year or so based on travel so far, and predicted travel. I'm relocating to Chicago next month and will be making largely domestic USA flights (probably weekly) and the occasional (once a month) international flights - mostly from ORD to Brazil / Mexico. I am considering my options.... (1) stick with BA, fly AA where I can and take the OW Emerald benefits; OR (2) switch to AA; OR (3) switch to United. United have offered a status challenge to their Premier Platinum card - AA are so far not playing ball on any sort of status challenge higher than AA Platinum (which I guess is not so good ??). I'm guessing (1) is a very inefficient path to any sustainable status. Does anyone have any opinions on whether I stick with BA or switch to a domestic programme ?
Old Jan 22, 2018, 11:23 am
IMH

Programs: BA Gold; Accor Plat; IHG Diamond-Amb; Meliá & HH & Marriott Gold
Welcome to FlyerTalk!

There's sure to be lots of input (and probably pointers to some of the many previous threads that have considered similar questions), but one additional piece of information might stop discussion of BAEC as an option in its tracks: will you be travelling to/through the UK at least once a year? If not, you'll struggle to get four BA sectors and won't make use of some of the nicest benefits of being a US-based BAEC member (Chase vouchers, AARP discounts).
Old Jan 22, 2018, 11:43 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Stick with BA for now? You'll have access to certain privileges as a BA Gold (let alone GGL) when flying domestically on AA that even AA's own top-tier don't get - like access to Flagship lounges where available...

There are also fairly widespread reports of AA giving "Concierge Key" treatment to BA GGLs especially at ORD: I can't speak to the detail as I'll likely never get to GGL for it to matter, but there's a whole thread on the topic elsewhere.
capin likes this.
Old Jan 22, 2018, 11:47 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Hello Sion Roberts and let me add my welcome to you. You raise an interesting question and one that I've been considering for several years now although inertia has so far got the better of me. I have chosen to stick with BAEC since we moved out here. There are certainly plusses and minuses for all options.

One of the best reasons to choose a US domestic program will be ability to get upgraded to domestic first subject to your upgrades clearing if you choose to purchase coach tickets. In my case I tend to purchase inflexible First fares so that's not too much of a downside for me. With BAEC silver status or above you'll get AAdmirals club access although if you joined AAdvantage you could always purchase access through the AA MasterCard.

If you're close to Lifetime Gold you may want to consider sticking with BAEC. If not and if you don't think you'll make it at some point there's less of a pull for you in that direction. I still have lifetime GGL in my sights and cannot quite bring myself to throw in the towel on that one which is another reason I've not changed.

GGL is recognized by AA as a form of VIP so you'll get Concierge Key treatment from time to time when flying AA as well as an excellent telephone service when calling in.

I agree with the advice above that if you're not heading back to the UK on a regular basis then keeping status with BAEC may be a challenge in its own right.

If I wasn't still hankering after Lifetime GGL then I would probably have switched to AA by now. The first year might be a little less comfortable while attaining Executive Platinum but after that it would be plain sailing.

Please let us know what you decide to do.
Old Jan 22, 2018, 11:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Do be aware that neither AA or UA elites get access to their respective lounges when flying domestically, whereas similar status other OW or *A passengers do.

Having said that, it probably depends upon your fare types and flying patterns. Whilst the field has narrowed, it's still true to say that the US programmes are relatively more generous in terms of elite qualification to economy passengers. Both AA and UA have gone to revenue multipliers, rather than mileage, for earnings.

The other principal difference is that fuel surcharges are unknown to UA and not common on AA (unless redeeming on BA flights), so if you are planning regularly to transport your family back to the UK, you could save $$$ by having miles in UA or AA currency - and, of course, it's much easier earning their miles whilst in the USA - join their dining programmes, get their cards etc. etc.
Old Jan 22, 2018, 12:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
That’s complicated.

I would however note that the 4 BA sectors can be covered by a vacation in UK/Europe with a bit of pre-planning.

I’ve certainly found the basic BAEC Gold advantageous when flying AA within the US.
Old Jan 22, 2018, 12:20 pm

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, UA Silver
If you’re likely to be able to earn EXP status on AA (now requiring a combination of elite qualifying miles and spend), I’d suggest switching to AA since you’re primarily going to be traveling domestically. . In addition to the upgrades on domestic flights (and a free snack and drink when in coach), I’ve found that AA will bend over backwards to accommodate me as an EXP in cases of IRROPS, lost luggage, schedule changes, and the like. The agents on the EXP phone line are generally more competent at dealing with issues than the regular phone lines as well. I don’t know for sure, but would guess they’d be a little less accommodating to a BA Gold, beyond the standard OWE benefits. Certainly I get minimal recognition/consideration from BA as a non-BA OWE when traveling with them. That said, if your travel or spend patterns will only get you to plat or plat pro on AA you’re probably not getting much benefit in switching.
Old Jan 22, 2018, 12:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
My perspective is distorted by the fact that we never fly Coach/Economy

Wow ... a free pretzel and a soda!
Old Jan 22, 2018, 1:53 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by whimsey21
If you’re likely to be able to earn EXP status on AA (now requiring a combination of elite qualifying miles and spend), I’d suggest switching to AA since you’re primarily going to be traveling domestically. . In addition to the upgrades on domestic flights (and a free snack and drink when in coach),
AA crew used to usually give OneWorld Emerald the same freebies in Y as given to EXP status holders, though it was never an official benefit. Anyone know if this is still in operation?
Old Jan 22, 2018, 2:01 pm

Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
AA crew used to usually give OneWorld Emerald the same freebies in Y as given to EXP status holders, though it was never an official benefit. Anyone know if this is still in operation?
Yup they still do, as of last month at least. In their computers you'll be listed as an EXP. Also when I've had IRROPS i was on the same standby priority as EXP members
Old Jan 22, 2018, 2:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Sion Roberts Welcome to FT

Originally Posted by Sion Roberts
..I've been a long standing BA member and got the GL card this year. Looks like I'll be GL or maybe Gold for the next year or so based on travel so far, and predicted travel.

I'm relocating to Chicago next month and will be making largely domestic USA flights (probably weekly) and the occasional (once a month) international flights - mostly from ORD to Brazil / Mexico.
I am considering my options....
(1) stick with BA, fly AA where I can and take the OW Emerald benefits; OR
(2) switch to AA; OR
(3) switch to United. United have offered a status challenge to their Premier Platinum card - AA are so far not playing ball on any sort of status challenge higher than AA Platinum (which I guess is not so good ??).

I'm guessing (1) is a very inefficient path to any sustainable status. Does anyone have any opinions on whether I stick with BA or switch to a domestic programme?
How long will you be living in USA? Forever or a short time (few years)?
Is UK home and if yes will you have flights back to UK?
Will you have choice of airline if flying for work? (UA/AA/DL/other)
What are your objectives from a ffp?
Many people in USA get many many ff miles from cc spend/cc sign up.
Old Jan 22, 2018, 3:13 pm

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, UA Silver
Originally Posted by T8191
My perspective is distorted by the fact that we never fly Coach/Economy

Wow ... a free pretzel and a soda!
I wish that I were in your position- my employer mandates that I travel in coach. As such the free bourbon and cheese plate on my AA flights goes a long way towards making me feel less like cattle.
T8191 likes this.
Old Jan 22, 2018, 4:45 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
Originally Posted by Sion Roberts
Hi everyone. I've been a long standing BA member and got the GL card this year. Looks like I'll be GL or maybe Gold for the next year or so based on travel so far, and predicted travel. I'm relocating to Chicago next month and will be making largely domestic USA flights (probably weekly) and the occasional (once a month) international flights - mostly from ORD to Brazil / Mexico.
Will these flights be in Business ("domestic First") or economy? This greatly affects whether you want AA status; not least, AA status (especially EXP) can get you a lot of domestic upgrades, while BA status gets you none. If you don't need upgrades, and you're going around in premium cabins a lot, just make sure you get your four BA segments and then cruise your way easily to GGL Then maybe switch to crediting to AA and get EXP as well, although EXP does require a lot more bum in seat time than BA Gold.
Old Jan 22, 2018, 4:47 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, AS Gold MVP, IC RA, IHG Spire Elite, HH Diamond, Dennis The Menace Fan Club
Can offer a little perspective having done the same thing last year, as a (now former) GGL moving to the US. As with everything, the answer to this one is 'it depends'.

If you're mostly travelling in Y on these domestic and South American journeys, I would look into switching to AA or DL; and if you care about your OneWorld status I guess that weighs heavily toward AA. Status-based cabin upgrades are much more plentiful on AA than you're used to on BA, and you'll find yourself often (though not always) bumped up to F/J if you're able to attain EXP status, either involutarily, or by requesting upgrades on the day.

If you're mostly travelling in J/F, then I'd probably stick with BA, as your status will already afford you lounge access and a comfortable spot on the plane. Being based in ORD also makes this a whole wodge easier, as you have a huge number of AA connections to earn TPs on. Bear in mind too though that whilst some people have experienced CK treatment as a BA GGL pax in ORD, it is not guaranteed, and as AA don't publicise the requirements to make CK, it might be easier to retain BA GGL.

If you weren't in an AA hub, of course, this would be a different question. For me, stuck in SEA, AS is making the most sense.
konagirl2 likes this.

Last edited by opalfruit; Jan 22, 2018 at 5:59 pm
Old Jan 22, 2018, 5:49 pm

Programs: BAEC G, Bonvoy T, Avis PC, Hertz PC
To me, the most precious thing is the lounge access. You will keep lounge access being BAEC, however, won't have access if you are not Concierge Key in domestic flights...
Switching to AA, in my opinion, you will get more upgrades, maybe once every 15 flights average, but honestly for 2h flights I do not care... however lounge access makes the difference for me.

Hope this helps.
Cheers!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.