Wiki Posts
Search

Latam pass or skymiles

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2022, 11:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: AAadvantage EXP, UA MilagePlus
Latam pass or skymiles

Have been a OW traveler for a long long time. Last two years just two long distance round trips (will not add why guess is quite obvious). Just grabbed a great fare MVD-GRU-MAD-LIM-MVD. We live 6 months in Barcelona and 6 months in Punta del Este Uruguay. Fare in J was too good to let it pass just have to add the BCN-MAD-BCN which will use AVIOS to cover and the minor hassle of having to do a check in in MAD.

FIND IT HARD TO UNDERSTAND LATAM PASS EARNINGS. Are there any bonus for flying J or it is just the dollars spent? Once in Spain have 2 US trips and an ASIA trip. Should I go for LATAMPASS or SKYTEAM… From what I gather the only airlines to get qualifying points are DELTA, AEROMEXICO and ALASKA (don’t understand this last one so go figure). The aim is to at least achieve the equivalent of EMERALD ON OW.

last option forget about qualifying for EITHER ONE OF THE ABOVE and credit the trip to IBERIA (SILVER WITH IBERIA ) and continue with OW which I know well but not the best prices.

NOTE: I always used to issue my tats in Spain but we got stuck here in 2020 so in 2021 issued RT from MVD AS FARE ON IB WAS ALSO CHEAP.

ANY WORD OF ADVICE. THANKS.
Old Feb 22, 2022, 11:59 am

Programs: LA Platinum
Hi,

Yes, only dollars no class bonuses as far as Im aware.

I would maybe suggest Sky Team or Alaska as your fare was cheap but with a lot of mileage which is what most partner points are based off of
Old Feb 22, 2022, 12:35 pm

Programs: LATAMPASS Silver, SkyMiles Silver Medallion
For LATAM's own program, you earn miles just by dollars spent and your current status.

With Delta, Alaska or British/Iberia you will earn miles based on distance plus a class bonus
Old Feb 27, 2022, 9:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Also, LATAM Pass points or miles "hard" expire after 2 or 3 years, and the only way to reset that is a paid LATAM (not partner!) flight (but even that sometimes doesn't work in practice!). So if you aren't going to use your LATAM points / miles up fairly quickly, earning in another program where your miles expiration can be easily extended "indefinitely" is much, much better IMHO.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.