Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > oneworld
Reload this Page >

Delta Diamond moving to Spain, what OneWorld program should I use to fly Iberia?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta Diamond moving to Spain, what OneWorld program should I use to fly Iberia?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2022, 11:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond
Question Delta Diamond moving to Spain, what OneWorld program should I use to fly Iberia?

I'm a Delta Diamond member but moving from NYC to Barcelona for the next 3-5 years. As SkyTeam options out of Barcelona are limited, I guess I'll likely start flying Iberia. I know very little about the OneWorld program, so looking for some guidance on what I should do next.

I typically fly 100k+ miles per year, mostly in business class on paid fares. I will likely do a lot of inter-EU travel, but also likely 2-3 trips back to the US: BCN > NYC/HNL/SFO/LAX. There will likely also be a yearly trip to LATAM (probably Brazil).

- Lounge access is a priority for me. I have an Amex Business Platinum card to get access to Centurion lounges, but those are sparse; I also have Priority Pass.

- I typically pay cash for business class fares because I typically do a lot of transcon red-eyes (US>EU), but while already living in the EU, it's likely I'll fly more economy fares, so getting upgrades would be nice.

- For awards, I have about 500k Alaska miles, 500k Chase, 250k Amex, 100k Citi.

I assume crediting Iberia flights to AA or AS (or another OW program) will earn differently (are they miles flown based, or spend based, or...?). I'm assuming AS is going to devalue their program soon, earning there might not be a great options since I already carry a large balance.

Also assuming whichever route I go, I can status match my Delta Diamond to a OW Emerald equivalent.

So, should I sign up for Iberia Plus? Or credit to AA, AS, BA, or some other program? Am I overlooking anything?
Old Apr 8, 2022, 3:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

betatalk Welcome to FT
Originally Posted by betatalk
I'm a Delta Diamond member but moving from NYC to Barcelona for the next 3-5 years. As SkyTeam options out of Barcelona are limited, I guess I'll likely start flying Iberia. I know very little about the OneWorld program, so looking for some guidance on what I should do next.

I typically fly 100k+ miles per year, mostly in business class on paid fares. I will likely do a lot of inter-EU travel, but also likely 2-3 trips back to the US: BCN > NYC/HNL/SFO/LAX. There will likely also be a yearly trip to LATAM (probably Brazil).

- Lounge access is a priority for me. I have an Amex Business Platinum card to get access to Centurion lounges, but those are sparse; I also have Priority Pass.

- I typically pay cash for business class fares because I typically do a lot of transcon red-eyes (US>EU), but while already living in the EU, it's likely I'll fly more economy fares, so getting upgrades would be nice.

- For awards, I have about 500k Alaska miles, 500k Chase, 250k Amex, 100k Citi.

I assume crediting Iberia flights to AA or AS (or another OW program) will earn differently (are they miles flown based, or spend based, or...?). I'm assuming AS is going to devalue their program soon, earning there might not be a great options since I already carry a large balance.

Also assuming whichever route I go, I can status match my Delta Diamond to a OW Emerald equivalent.

So, should I sign up for Iberia Plus? Or credit to AA, AS, BA, or some other program? Am I overlooking anything?
What are your objectives from a ffp?
USA and non USA airlines operate very differently when it comes to upgrades. With non USA airlines always expect to fly in the seat you buy. Always.

BA, IB, QR and some other IAG airlines use avios as the common frequent flyer currency. Subject to the various rules, avios can be moved around between ffp's, but not status.

The chances of status match are low. And top tier OWE negligible to nil. Earning status the hard way is likley to be needed. But a few well chosen long business fares can help a lot.

For lounge access need mid (OWS) or top (OWE) tier status or class of service (business first). If have OWS / OWE, that is not from AS or AA, will be able to access lounges for USA domestic/regional flights.
--->https://www.oneworld.com/travel-benefits.

BA, IB & AS are distance based ffp. AA ffp, when flying non AA airlines, is distance based. However read the ff mile & status earning rules carefully as is not that simple. For AS need a lot of AS flights to get and keep status, so would ignore AS.

EU is small, so any ff miles earning will be low. Most to all intra EU business class are economy seats with the middle seat blocked. For EU flying can be a good to base on schedule and price, with ff miles/status earning as a minor consideration. Trains go every where.

IB(OW) is not the only airline from BCN--->https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Josep_...l_Prat_Airport
http://www.gcmap.com/mapui?P=c%3Ablu...=bm&PW=3&DU=mi

At this stage would tend to BA (~IB), but keep crediting to DL/Skyteam where possible to keep that status.
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...tive-club-446/
Your guide to the Executive Club, attaining status and earning Avios | 2022 edition

Look here, including the links to other threads (posts near the start have links)

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Apr 8, 2022 at 5:09 pm Reason: added IAG link
Old Apr 9, 2022, 1:49 pm

BCN is the main hub for Vueling (VY). Do you expect to take a lot of VY flights? In that case, IB+ could be a good choice.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.