Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Transfer from Germany to US-based program?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Transfer from Germany to US-based program?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2018, 12:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: LH
Transfer from Germany to US - Which program to use?

Hi guys,

I recently moved from Germany to the US (Chicago). At the moment, I am a Lufthansa M&M member (Silver status, 250k miles accumulated). Now, I'm wondering if I should continue to earn Lufthansa miles (I have weekly flights within the US for work) or switch to United's program (given that it's Star Alliance) or any other airline (I guess AA is the only other Chicago alternative) to enjoy better benefits.

Any advice?

Thanks

Last edited by Berbatov; Jan 23, 2018 at 12:22 pm
Old Jan 23, 2018, 12:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
If you have weekly flights in the US, switch to UA MP, and keep your Germany address if you are still legally considered a resident there.

You will enjoy the benefits of UA Gold relatively soon (once weekly RT flights at 1000 each way is easily 100,000 a year and so 1K but being conservative) and you will waive the PQD requirements with a non-US address.

Meanwhile, ensure your M&M miles are used up or extended (not sure of their expiry policies).
Xyzzy and zeer0 like this.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 1:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by aacharya
If you have weekly flights in the US, switch to UA MP, and keep your Germany address if you are still legally considered a resident there.

You will enjoy the benefits of UA Gold relatively soon (once weekly RT flights at 1000 each way is easily 100,000 a year and so 1K but being conservative) and you will waive the PQD requirements with a non-US address.

Meanwhile, ensure your M&M miles are used up or extended (not sure of their expiry policies).
Thanks for the information.
Is there any way I can carry over my LH status or do I have to start from scratch? On UA's status match page, it says Star Alliance members are excluded...
Old Jan 23, 2018, 1:49 pm

It never hurts to send them an email and ask, the worst they can say is no. Admittedly I've never heard of anyone getting a match from M&M, then again I don't know anyone who's tried.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 1:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
I would not try the match. Especially if you think you may need the PQD exemption, I wouldn't try it as if you say you "moved" here, they may watch your account very very carefully for address changes.

But if you get the account first with the German address and then say " i want to switch as I will be traveling UA a lot", then maybe.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 1:57 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by aacharya
I would not try the match. Especially if you think you may need the PQD exemption, I wouldn't try it as if you say you "moved" here, they may watch your account very very carefully for address changes.

But if you get the account first with the German address and then say " i want to switch as I will be traveling UA a lot", then maybe.
What is the issue with the PQD requirement you mentioned? Isn't the dollar amount (more or less) directly related to the miles collection (i.e. with frequent flights, both should be easy to check after a while)?
Old Jan 23, 2018, 2:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K; *G and *A Top 1000; HHonors Diamond; *$ Gold; Global Entry
Originally Posted by Berbatov
What is the issue with the PQD requirement you mentioned? Isn't the dollar amount (more or less) directly related to the miles collection (i.e. with frequent flights, both should be easy to check after a while)?
It’s easier to accrue PQM than PQD. In the U.S., it’s relatively easy to find airfare under $.12/mile.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 2:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
It depends entirely on your travel patterns. For example, I was just below 10 cents per mile last year, flying almost exclusively paid premium cabin or (successfully) upgraded fares. Some people pay triple or quadruple that much for the same miles.
ContinentalFan likes this.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 2:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I recently moved from Germany to the US (Chicago). At the moment, I am a Lufthansa M&M member (Silver status, 250k miles accumulated). Now, I'm wondering if I should continue to earn Lufthansa miles (I have weekly flights within the US for work) or switch to United's program (given that it's Star Alliance) or any other airline (I guess AA is the only other Chicago alternative) to enjoy better benefits.
How long will you be living in USA? Forever or a short time (few years)?
Is Germany still home and if yes will you have flights back to Germany?
What are your objectives from a ffp?
Will you have choice of airline if flying for work? (UA/AA/DL/other)
Corporate travel policy / preferred airline?
What class will you travel?
Many people in USA get many many ff miles from cc spend/cc sign up.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 2:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by eric.chen3742
It never hurts to send them an email and ask, the worst they can say is no. Admittedly I've never heard of anyone getting a match from M&M, then again I don't know anyone who's tried.
OP only has Silver status with LH, so a match wouldn't matter for very long given the number of domestic UA flights he/she takes.

Getting 1K on UA will mean some upgrades on domestic UA flights, while IIRC SEN/HON (if that's possible on LH with OP's increased travel) would give access to UA lounges while flying UA domestically as well as internationally (which is the *Gold benefit from either side).
Old Jan 23, 2018, 3:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K
you need 35k PQM for a LH M&M Silver (still valid for two years after qualification) but pretty much useless if you are US based now ...

register with your German address and start flying UA and earning on UA MP.

You can easily hit UA MP Gold by flying a little domestic and fly home twice a year - just avoid to travel home on Lufthansa's cheap fare K ... get a credit score and get a UA branded credit card - all you need

UA MP mileage redemption is 100 times better than miles & less which charges you more fees than an actual ticket would cost
Old Jan 23, 2018, 3:23 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
How long will you be living in USA? Forever or a short time (few years)?
At least 2+ years
Is Germany still home and if yes will you have flights back to Germany?
I fully live in Chicago now and there won't be more than 1 flight a year back to Germany (which is how I can use my "old" Lufthansa miles)
What are your objectives from a ffp?
Lounge access, faster service (I travel mainly for business)
Will you have choice of airline if flying for work? (UA/AA/DL/other)
Usually yes
Corporate travel policy / preferred airline?
More or less flexible, personally I prefer United as a current Star Alliance user / Chicago resident
What class will you travel?
Mostly economy
Many people in USA get many many ff miles from cc spend/cc sign up.
Thanks for the additional feedback, see answers in the quote above
Old Jan 23, 2018, 3:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

A very similar BA/AA "moving to USA from Eu" thread on the BA forum:- BA Gold GL moving to USA....should I switch affiliation ?

Lounge access will be a challenge as a UA ff.
With many USA frequent flyers upgrades are the primary ffp objective.

Be careful of the LH M&M 3 year hard ff miles expiry

Award cost guide:- ORD to FRA Award Pricing Calculator | AwardAce
Old Jan 23, 2018, 3:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well, you're going to be a little disappointed. Neither AA nor UA offer lounge access to frequent flyers on domestic routes. DL does, if you reach Diamond level and choose that benefit; however, DL has many fewer nonstop destinations out of Chicago.

Both AA and UA sell lounge access, and lounge access is included with various credit cards (but check to makes sure the airports you'd be using have a lounge that you can enter with a given credit card).

You can get lounge access on UA domestic flights by accruing Gold status on a Star Alliance partner. You wouldn't get any other benefits, but if that's the most important thing to you, it might be worth considering. Aegean and Asiana have both offered reasonably quick paths to Star Alliance Gold in the past. It will be extremely difficult to get Gold status on your Miles & More account by flying UA domestic fares.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 3:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
I agree with jsloan that the news isn't great. If you primarily value lounge access, you cannot get that (domestically) from UA status, and making SEN by flying domestic Economy is basically impossible. I would recommend getting the United Club Card as a means of lounge access and better treatment (or do the same on AA).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.