Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Time to jump ship... switch from CX to whom?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25, 2021, 6:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: CX Diamond (DM)

Looks like for many of us it's time to jump ship with CX. So to which airline? Qatar? Singapore? I mean, I know it depends greatly on where you are based and where you fly... but wondering what others are doing. I'm having serious concerns over the viability of CX to recover.

-Chris
Old Nov 25, 2021, 8:02 am
Suspended

Programs: BAEC KLM
I think its a safe bet that Swire group are being made offers they cant refuse to let CX become part of Air China and the CCP will forget about all the loans and Shenzen will become the new hub for passengers and cargo.
GordonMacPherson likes this.
Old Nov 25, 2021, 9:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: CX Diamond (DM)
Originally Posted by archerjohn
I think its a safe bet that Swire group are being made offers they cant refuse to let CX become part of Air China and the CCP will forget about all the loans and Shenzen will become the new hub for passengers and cargo.
A bit far-fetched and unrelated to my question, but not totally impossible I suppose.

-Chris
Old Nov 25, 2021, 11:48 am

Programs: Delta Skymiles DM, CX GO, Hilton Honors Diamond
I am leaning towards QR myself, but, the fares for the flights I usually take right now are simply outrageous. $19,000 for Qsuites JFK>MNL>JFK in January, February and even March? Transiting DOH is a breeze. No way I can justify spending that much even for Qsuites though. Just WOW! Hoping eventually they will come back in line with CX and JL in the $5000 range, and even then that is still a bit higher than normal.
Old Nov 25, 2021, 12:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Grass is not always greener on the other side. At the moment, staying is better than moving elsewhere.
clubeurope and Kongduino like this.
Old Nov 25, 2021, 2:10 pm

Programs: CX Green | UA Silver | Marriott Lifetime Platinum | Hyatt Globalist | Hilton Gold | AA EXP
Originally Posted by cmiller11101
Looks like for many of us it's time to jump ship with CX. So to which airline? Qatar? Singapore? I mean, I know it depends greatly on where you are based and where you fly... but wondering what others are doing. I'm having serious concerns over the viability of CX to recover.

-Chris
Why loyal to a particular airline in the first place? I can understand if you want to focus on a particular FFP (I certainly do) so as long as it is within the same alliance, why not pick the airline that's convenient (whatever that means to you - price, time, service, non-stop, etc) for the particular trip you're looking at? By sticking within the same alliance you still accrue status and miles with your FFP of choice.

I'm flying back to SE Asia in Jan for CNY for the first time since Feb 2020 and I'm flying JL for 3 reasons: 1) after all the CX cancellation horror stories you all mentioned JL seems like a better option. 2) price is decent for the date I prefer @ USD5K which is comparable to SQ (and cheaper than QR). 3) AA FFP increases status requirement again. Top 2 status - top 3 if you count their invitation-only - are OWE so getting OWE is now even easier but ya, I don't know how my flight pattern will be for 2022 so it's better to fly with AA's 'preferred' OW partner like JL (instead of CX or QR) since I can accrue status quicker. This will be my first JL TPAC flight ever.

If the price is right and HK opens again (and open meaning no quarantine), I'll be more than happy to consider flying CX so I can wast ... err ... support local economy by transiting/staying (and spending) in HK for several days.
Old Nov 25, 2021, 4:28 pm

Programs: Marco Polo Club, KF
Originally Posted by Rivarix
Why loyal to a particular airline in the first place? I can understand if you want to focus on a particular FFP (I certainly do) so as long as it is within the same alliance, why not pick the airline that's convenient (whatever that means to you - price, time, service, non-stop, etc) for the particular trip you're looking at? By sticking within the same alliance you still accrue status and miles with your FFP of choice.
Because this is an airline that has played a very special role in the lives of many of us over a long period of time and has in the past invested heavily in its people, product and passengers (including critically in operational safety, which should NEVER be taken for granted).
fairhsa, ExpatExp, lsquare and 7 others like this.
Old Nov 25, 2021, 7:00 pm

Are you just switching FFP's for now while still flying CX, or changing completely?
Old Nov 25, 2021, 7:50 pm

Programs: AA EXP
I have some of the best memories with Flying CX. Its so sad to see such a great airline being torn into pieces. For me the choice is to fly what ever airline is the most easiest for the routing. Being in Taiwan I BR and CI will obviously be a major part of that.
lars747 and HarbourGent like this.
Old Nov 25, 2021, 7:57 pm
Suspended

Programs: Taiwan is a country.
Originally Posted by garykung
Grass is not always greener on the other side. At the moment, staying is better than moving elsewhere.

no grass in Pennys Bay.

sorry, sometimes one needs to abandon ship.
Those who remained aboard the Titanic did not live.
Old Nov 25, 2021, 9:10 pm

I have 2 flights booked next year on CX with Asia Miles. Happy staying with Marco Polo.
Old Nov 25, 2021, 11:43 pm

Programs: AA 3MM EXP, SQ Solitaire, LH SEN, CX DM, Hyatt CC, Marriott LT Titanium
I'm not sure if this thread is about switching to other airlines or just relocating to another city.. If it's the former and being based in HK, there's really no point to remain loyal to a single airline.. With the changing schedules and availability of quarantine rooms, you just have to be flexible to take whatever airline that fits your schedule and budget...
Old Nov 26, 2021, 3:26 am
Suspended

Programs: Taiwan is a country.
Originally Posted by walkup
I have 2 flights booked next year on CX with Asia Miles. Happy staying with Marco Polo.
good luck actually flying them.
fakecd and NetJets Germany like this.
Old Nov 26, 2021, 10:27 pm

Programs: CX DM, SQ KF Gold
Originally Posted by craig44485
I am leaning towards QR myself, but, the fares for the flights I usually take right now are simply outrageous. $19,000 for Qsuites JFK>MNL>JFK in January, February and even March? Transiting DOH is a breeze. No way I can justify spending that much even for Qsuites though. Just WOW! Hoping eventually they will come back in line with CX and JL in the $5000 range, and even then that is still a bit higher than normal.
QR’s hard product is usually top, but I have found them to be utterly disorganised and not caring one bit in case of IRROPS. We last flew them pre-pandemic Asia-Europe in Q-Suites and had an equipment change halfway, with the system or someone tearing our family (With infant) apart as a result. We spoke to ground staff, lounge staff and crew of the new plane and nobody wanted to help us, just shifting responsibility away from themselves, and some of them were plainly rude, which made it worse. It was a total debacle and my wife in tears, and me fuming (Which really requires some effort to evoke). And I was OWE (CX DM) at the time. Not sure how they treat their own FF, but whereas prior to this episode I would have booked QR in a heartbeat, now I am a lot more hesitant with them when I choose my flights. Which is a pity, because their hard product is usually great, and their inflight service very good, too (If robotic). Lounges also pretty good overall. Have heard from others that booking award seats using their own FFP is quite tricky though. So in summary, I would not join their FFP.

JL is another option, but while we still travel with infants their business class seats are too narrow for us. Again, worried about their wedded-to-script culture in case we want to do anything less common or in case of irrops.

SQ is better in my experience, at least living in SG. And I am only a mere KF EG = *A Gold.

not sure whose FFP / which airline still offers really good service, especially in case of irrops, even when excluding their hard product for a moment.
Old Nov 26, 2021, 11:00 pm

Programs: MPC-DM, Enrich-Plat
CX does get a lot of flame over here at FT, though when I compare with SQ, KE, TG and MH, my preference would be CX.

Where "scripting" is used business wide, I do have the impression, the CX scripting is build around the concept to support the own personality of the staff, whereas other airlines do seem to use the scripting to wipe out the staff own personality.

Even SQ is pretty disappointing on that. The moment the routine is out (a nearly empty cabin, for example), the scripting breaks down and the whole service perspective goes out of the window with itt. Having done a couple of LH/SH flights with SQ, I have to say, the experience is outright disappointing, LH even more than SH. Take away the glamour of the high SQ pricing (IE manage to obtain low-priced tickets), and it becomes clear, things aren't as shiny as the SQ pricing suggests. Both for the metal as well the service perspective.

Maybe, because CX staff did (largely) grow up in freedom, whereas all the other airlines natives have some kind of political or social oppressive system/culture ?

Not to speak about QR with the spartan labor and human rights situation in the country of origin. Once things go haywire, the shiny appearance becomes very dull.
Cryofern and GordonMacPherson like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.