Wiki Posts
Search

UA vs. Lufthansa

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2015, 7:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Platinum Elite
UA vs. Lufthansa

Which one is better? I currently have Gold status with UA, but considering switching to Lufthansa as I end up flying with them more.
Old Jan 5, 2015, 7:55 am

Programs: UA 1K MM
UA vs. Lufthansa

Is the number 5 good? Do you fly coach or business? Routes? On and on.
Old Jan 5, 2015, 9:04 am

Programs: AA (PLATINUM), HHonors (DIAMOND)
UA vs. Lufthansa

If it's a "who will give you a better experience" question. LUFTHANSA
Old Jan 5, 2015, 9:43 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Are you asking about airlines or frequent flyer programs?
Old Jan 5, 2015, 4:40 pm
Original Poster

My question is about frequent flyer programs, not airlines.

I currently have Platinum status with UA, will probably be Gold next year. I am considering to switch to Lufthansa, mainly because I fly more with them than with UA and I hope I will get upgrades at least from time to time. Other than that I am happy with UA and have no problem maintaining at least Gold status with them, but since I live in Israel and most of my travel is to Europe or Far East (China/Korea/Japan) and typically only once a year to US, I cannot enjoy benefits such as free upgrades and I believe award tickets cost me more, since I usually get award tickets from Lufthansa using my UA miles.

Bottom line, my question is - is it worth for me to move to Lufthansa?

If so, another question would be how to do this, as they don't offer intra-alliance status match problems. I've heard that I can book my tickets using UA frequent flyer number (to get lounge access), but then change it to Lufthansa at the gate. Would this work?

1) What is your home airport? TLV.

(2) What types of fares do you usually buy? Usually economy or discount economy.

(3) How many miles do you usually fly each year? 50K-70K

(4) Do you have any kind of status at present? UA Platinum

(5) What is most important to you in a FFP? Lounge access, upgrades, miles redemption (in that order)

(6) Which routes do you fly most often? Israel-Europe (mostly), Israel-China/Korea/Japan and usually once a year Israel-US

(7) Preferred Airlines: Lufthansa, United

(8) Do you travel for work or pleasure? Mostly work.
Old Jan 5, 2015, 5:15 pm
Original Poster

Another option I am considering is to move to one of Skyteam carriers... if any of them can match my status. There seems to be some success with Alitalia.

Bottom line is, my question really is: UA vs. LH vs. Alitalia.
Old Jan 6, 2015, 12:16 am

Programs: LH SEN
I've had "the pleasure" of being a UA 1K in 2014. Service was lousy, no upgrades, three unscheduled nights in a hotel, twice delayed baggage, frequent schedule changes and so on.

In my more than 8 years as HON with 150 to 160 flights per year, none of the above happened to me with Lufthansa.

So, for me the answer is clear - even though I can't make the HON anymore.

And in my opinion you cannot look at the frequent flyer programme alone!
Old Jan 6, 2015, 1:32 am
Original Poster

I end up flying with LH a lot anyway, since many of my flights are between Israel and Europe. My question really was, given the above, would it better for me to switch to LH M&M (I guess the answer is yes, as I now realize that airlines do not upgrade Star Alliance gold member, unless they are gold with that airline).

My only remaining question is, is LH (both as carrier and as frequent flyer program) better then any of Sky Team airlines (KLM, AirFrance, Alitalia)?
Old Jan 6, 2015, 1:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
Originally Posted by gruimed
My question is about frequent flyer programs, not airlines.

I currently have Platinum status with UA, will probably be Gold next year. I am considering to switch to Lufthansa, mainly because I fly more with them than with UA and I hope I will get upgrades at least from time to time. Other than that I am happy with UA and have no problem maintaining at least Gold status with them, but since I live in Israel and most of my travel is to Europe or Far East (China/Korea/Japan) and typically only once a year to US, I cannot enjoy benefits such as free upgrades and I believe award tickets cost me more, since I usually get award tickets from Lufthansa using my UA miles.

Bottom line, my question is - is it worth for me to move to Lufthansa?

If so, another question would be how to do this, as they don't offer intra-alliance status match problems. I've heard that I can book my tickets using UA frequent flyer number (to get lounge access), but then change it to Lufthansa at the gate. Would this work?

1) What is your home airport? TLV.

(2) What types of fares do you usually buy? Usually economy or discount economy.

(3) How many miles do you usually fly each year? 50K-70K

(4) Do you have any kind of status at present? UA Platinum

(5) What is most important to you in a FFP? Lounge access, upgrades, miles redemption (in that order)

(6) Which routes do you fly most often? Israel-Europe (mostly), Israel-China/Korea/Japan and usually once a year Israel-US

(7) Preferred Airlines: Lufthansa, United

(8) Do you travel for work or pleasure? Mostly work.
The thing about you only fly 50K-70K is a problem, as LH Senator require 100K to qualify, 50K-70K will only get you FTL. LH FTL equal to star silver, which means you will lose all the star gold benefits which include lounge access except LH group's business lounge, you have to get to LH Senator to be star gold. UA gold however is star gold.

Also LH FTL don't get you any upgrade vouchers, you have to be LH Senator to get that.

For award ticket, LH do have fuel surcharge in addition to taxes and fees, for a Y award ticket, it could be as expensive as if you buy a ticket. UA however has none.

I end up flying with LH a lot anyway, since many of my flights are between Israel and Europe. My question really was, given the above, would it better for me to switch to LH M&M (I guess the answer is yes, as I now realize that airlines do not upgrade Star Alliance gold member, unless they are gold with that airline).

My only remaining question is, is LH (both as carrier and as frequent flyer program) better then any of Sky Team airlines (KLM, AirFrance, Alitalia)?
No alliance allow that ! Not even with the highest status of each alliances like Skyteam elite plus or Oneworld Emerald !

Last edited by ORDnHKG; Jan 6, 2015 at 1:39 am
Old Jan 6, 2015, 2:03 am
Original Poster

I guess this rules out LH, as I am unlikely to get to 100K miles and star alliance gold status is important for me. Is there a comparison table somewhere on the Internet where I can check which frequent flyer programs (except for UA Mileage-plus, not necessarily Star Alliance as I consider Sky Team too) will give me gold status with 60K-60K miles?
Old Jan 6, 2015, 2:08 am
Original Poster

Looks like Air France/KLM is best for me...
Old Jan 6, 2015, 2:13 am

Programs: Cathy Pacific (0.13mil)
LH > UA
Old Jan 6, 2015, 3:42 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MattSurridge
LH > UA
Meaning?
Old Jan 6, 2015, 8:23 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Meaning?
Just ignore those types of comments.

ORDnHKG's analysis is spot on. As a frequent flyer program, UA MP is generally a much better option than LH M&M unless you can qualify for SEN or HON. For both *G status and ease and cost of award redemptions (you can't book LH partner awards online).

The reality is that as a 50-70K annual flyer, no program is going to give you all that much (unless you're buying J or F tickets, in which case status is much less important anyway).
Old Jan 6, 2015, 8:37 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kacee
The reality is that as a 50-70K annual flyer, no program is going to give you all that much (unless you're buying J or F tickets, in which case status is much less important anyway).
I am starting to realize this. The only exception (suggested in some other thread) seams to be Aegean Miles&Bonus, which gives *G for just 24K miles.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.