Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Qantas program worth it for Canadian resident?

Old Dec 24, 18, 6:44 am
Original Poster

I will be flying roundtrip to Australia with Air Canada (Montreal-San Francisco) and Qantas (San Francisco-Melbourne), and I have two questions:

1. Is it worth registering in the Qantas frequent flyer program considering the steep registration fee and considering that I do not travel very often in the Pacific area?

2. If I take internal flights (probably 5 flights) in Australia, does it make the Qantas FF program more interesting? Not sure yet I will fly with Qantas for the internal flights as their prices seem higher than those of Tiger Air or Jetstar -- traveler on a budget here :-)

Happy to hear your thoughts.
Old Dec 24, 18, 9:42 am

Originally Posted by fallabarie View Post
I will be flying roundtrip to Australia with Air Canada (Montreal-San Francisco) and Qantas (San Francisco-Melbourne), and I have two questions:

1. Is it worth registering in the Qantas frequent flyer program considering the steep registration fee and considering that I do not travel very often in the Pacific area?

2. If I take internal flights (probably 5 flights) in Australia, does it make the Qantas FF program more interesting? Not sure yet I will fly with Qantas for the internal flights as their prices seem higher than those of Tiger Air or Jetstar -- traveler on a budget here :-)

as a canadian resident, it's free to join qantas frequent flyer program.

if you already have another one world program, it might be easier just crediting your san francisco to melbourne qantas flight to that program assuming that you will earn enough to redeem something useful. also don't forget most programs have expiry policy, you need to check which one suits you best. need to check also the earn rate, since each program varies.

for the domestic flight, sure that jetstar flight can credit to qantas but i doubt the amount of points would be important to influence your decision.

note that you can credit your qantas flight into westjet dollar or british airways' avios but i don't know the value of it you need to check for yourself. however, you can open up credit cards easily to make the points worthwhile. (ex: by converting RBC rewards points to avios, sometimes they have conversion bonus)

at the end of the day, you have to decide which program to credit to get the most out of your points, since it's hard to give you suggestions without knowing what you want to do with your points and what programs you already have. also, maintaining account activity is also hard, you cannot just park yours points into a program and letting it idle. in addition, we have to know the fare class of your qantas flight to know how much you will earn. the points earned on that flight might be negligible.
Old Dec 24, 18, 10:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No. It makes no logical sense to join the (poor) QF ffp. Better to join Alaska AS or AA. QF is a freq flyer partner of AS, AA & others. https://www.wheretocredit.com/qf. QF points expire if no eligible activity in 18 months, awards cost a lot of QF points and often have cash surcharges.

With TT & JQ check carefully what is included in the headline fare. Particularly carry on & checked baggage. All Australian airlines have been strictly enforcing the carry-on weight & size conditions of tickets in the last month or so. The other Au full service domestic airline is Virgin Australia, as ff partner of DL.

Airlines that fly in Australia domestically. Excludes some small operators
jridge likes this.

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Dec 24, 18 at 1:21 pm
Old Dec 24, 18, 2:15 pm
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF SG, LH SEN, OZ D+, HH D, SPG P
I agree with Mwenenzi. Joining QFF only makes sense if you regularly actually fly Qantas or if you are after certain special benefits. If your main objective is collecting miles for flight redemption on an airlines other than QF I would join a different program.
Old Dec 25, 18, 2:30 pm

Programs: Now back at base level for these 2:QFF-now NB, Virgin-Velocity-NR
WAFFLE coming.
Also, it would take more than your number of flights, ie, status per sector to get to any lounge access. Ie, QF PS which gives one entry to a QP in Aust.
Unless you flew J, which is $$$, you would also have no lounge access, per se.
On the SFO to SYD sector, there is on AFF a meet and greet sub website, where people do make agreements, if they flights match, to bring in another member of AFF into a QF international lounge as a guest.
Let's presupposed you really wanted to join QF's FF program.
Air Canada is not in the QF's OW alliance, so your flights on them won't count towards anything with QF.
If you had chosen AA/AS/WS, you could have earn a smallish amount of SC to start with, ie, 15 SC each way.
SFO - SYD is only 45 in whY discounted economy, domestic Au flights on the cheapest fares, is only about 10 QF SC per sector, with QF, and 10 QF SC with a points earnings bundle with JQ.
Even if you also flew Au - NZ in this trip on the cheaper fares, your earnings would haul after the trip be very small.
If you were moving to Au for work or study, and flew a lot, or if for work and work paid, for you to fly QF's flexY, and work paid for QF's lounge access, then it would be a good idea to join.
As it is, I would agree with the others, if you have membership of a OW alliance airline, keep with that.
TT is not in any program, and VA is not in the QF program, so the 2 cheaper airlines, if you flew with them in Au, would also not count for status with QF.
Old Dec 25, 18, 3:40 pm

If travelling on a budget take the best fare you can find for each flight!

Otherwise look carefully at the point earn rate and redemption rates on Alaska Airlines to credit your QF flights for the class of ticket travelled.

Will you earn enough points to offset any additional cash cost by traveling on Qantas when in Australia?
Old Dec 25, 18, 4:56 pm

As a QF FF member, no status is earned with WS, which is also a downside.
I do realise you have picked AC for YUL to SFO, but if you had chosen AS, its the only one that will earn you QF SC.
Need 300 QF SC to attain QF PS.
Your haul total might just be, say 125 after the return to Canada.
All my estimations are collecting status on the lower fares, ie, discountY.
Old Dec 25, 18, 8:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AustralianPoochie View Post
As a QF FF member, no status is earned with WS, which is also a downside.
I do realise you have picked AC for YUL to SFO, but if you had chosen AS, its the only one that will earn you QF SC.
Need 300 QF SC to attain QF PS.
Your haul total might just be, say 125 after the return to Canada.
All my estimations are collecting status on the lower fares, ie, discount Y.
Post 5 line 1.
OP did not mention status.
As a wild guess an OTA offered QF SFO-MEL in conjunction with AC YUL-SFO. Or maybe AC/QF for the YUL-SFO-MEL. AC do fly to BNE/SYD/MEL
Old Dec 26, 18, 4:54 am

Guess for ease of flying from YUL, maybe as to OP's schedule, ((and putting SC earn aside/out of the way/consideration)), maybe/probably the OP's linked AC and QF ticket will be ok for the OP, if just taking cost as the only consideration.
Yes, agreed, OP did not mention status, and I am wild guessing, which in some situations, is not the ideal.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: