Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

Optiontown.com paid upgrades on SAS

Old Mar 25, 2013, 7:54 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: oliver2002
Optiontown - Upgrade on SK flights
SAS Scandinavian Airlines offers, via partner Optiontown, all customers the opportunity to purchase an upgrade on SK operated flights, which will be confirmed 72-24 hours prior to departure, pending on seat availability.

SAS Go passengers can purchase an upgrade to SAS Plus on all flights and to SAS Business class on SASs intercontinental flights between Scandinavia, the US and Asia, while SAS Plus passengers also can buy an upgrade to SAS Business class on intercontinental flights.
Booking class Europe: A (SAS Plus)
Booking classes Intercontinental: Z (Business) and P (SAS Plus)
Note: All upgrades will be handled by Optiontown.
Contact to Optiontown

Phone: UK +44 (0) 203 371 7854
E-mail: [email protected]
Homepage: www.optiontown.com
Upgrade fees

Intercontinental flights:
Upgrade fees will range between EUR140 and EUR900, depending on availability, destination and service class.
European flights:
Upgrade fees will range between EUR30 and EUR75, depending on availability, destination and service class.

EUR 1 (one) for short haul flights
EUR 5 (five) for long haul flights.
Note: During the period 10JUN15-31AUG15, no sign up fee will be charged.
Reservation

All upgraded PNRs will be updated with and include OS SK OPTIONTOWN UPGRADE.
Reservation for non 117-documents (only applicable on long haul flights)

Reservations for non 117-documents will be updated by Optiontown with the following information:

OS SK UTO
SR CKIN SK KK. ATTN CHECK-IN. UTO PSGR. PLS UPGRADE TO (CLASS) ACC TO PROC ON SKXXX (DATE), UPG ALREADY PAID BRGDS REV MNGT.
Note: Tickets will not be reissued and upgrade will take place at check-in counter.
Rebooking
If the passenger wants to rebook a flight with confirmed upgrade via Optiontown, always use the original ticket fare, found in TWD, to calculate the fare difference.
Change fee must be collected if applicable for the original ticket.

Refund

After requesting upgrade it is not possible to change or cancel the upgrade request.
Upgrade amount is not refundable.

If the passengers upgrade request is not successful, the upgrade fee will be refunded.
Optiontown must be contacted for refund.
Restrictions

Upgrade of the following passengers cannot be performed:

Travel Pass passengers
Groups (booking class G)
Passengers holding award tickets (booking classes I and X)
ID-passengers (booking classes R and N)

Irregularity

Rebooking procedures for passengers with an upgrade, affected by irregularity:

Rebooking to other SK-flight
If the same booking class as passenger was upgraded to is available - rebook the passenger in the upgraded booking class.
If the same booking class as passenger was upgraded to is not available - rebook the passenger in the same service class as originally booked and refund the upgrade.
Rebooking to other airline
Rebook the passenger in the same service class as originally booked and refund the upgrade.

Note: In case of refund in above cases, the passenger himself must contact Optiontown and request refund.
Benefits

The upgraded passenger is entitled to:

Baggage allowance according to the new class
Star Alliance Priority tag
SAS Business check-in
Fast Track security
SAS Lounge access
EuroBonus points earned according to the new class
Onboard service according to the new class

Passenger process

Passenger makes a reservation on an SAS operated flight. Reservation must be confirmed.
Passenger logs onto www.optiontown.com, creates an account and enters credit card info.
Passenger can register the upgrade request immediately after reservation is made
Sign-up must be made latest 36 hours before departure

Optiontown selects the passengers to be upgraded according to conditions set forth by SAS

If there are seats available and the upgrade request is successful, the upgrade will be confirmed 72-24 hours prior to departure.
Updated 03JUL15 08.57
Print Wikipost

Old Jan 19, 2010, 9:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: EB*G, UA ex1K

Has anyone had recent experience with the 'optiontown.com' upgrades?

Is this program still running? Do flights still get status points of the upgraded class? Any sense of whether flights booked close in (couple of weeks before) do better or worse than flights booked way in advanced?

Thanks,
Old Jan 19, 2010, 9:32 am

Programs: BA, Virgin, SAS, ANA, JAL, Asiana but sadly no longer Daimond Club
On the back of this, any idea if the business lounge access is given or is it purely the flight upgrade?

As it goes I noticed optiontown about two weeks back. I,ve tried this for a flight to Tokyo next week so I'll let you know how it goes.
Old Jan 19, 2010, 10:30 am

Programs: SK EB*G
Originally Posted by neko
Has anyone had recent experience with the 'optiontown.com' upgrades?

Is this program still running? Do flights still get status points of the upgraded class? Any sense of whether flights booked close in (couple of weeks before) do better or worse than flights booked way in advanced?

Thanks,
Data point: CPH-BKK return. Applied early October for upgrade, Eco to Eco Extra. Outbound (Nov 26) I was not upgraded, return flight (Dec 12) I did get the upgrade.

On the upgraded return flight I also got the 150% points of upgraded class.
Old Jan 19, 2010, 5:18 pm

Originally Posted by paulwoodh
On the back of this, any idea if the business lounge access is given or is it purely the flight upgrade?

As it goes I noticed optiontown about two weeks back. I,ve tried this for a flight to Tokyo next week so I'll let you know how it goes.
If you get upgraded to Business Class using Optiontown, *A upgrade or point upgrade at CI you will have access to the Business Class lounge SAS uses at the departing airport.

This is not clearly stated on the SAS homepage, but as you hold a C-class BP you will be let in without problems.
Old Jan 20, 2010, 12:05 am

Programs: EBS
Upgraded a Jan 8 ARN-EWR flight successfully from economy to economy extra, applied for the upgrade at the end of December. Got points for Y.
Old Jan 20, 2010, 1:12 am

Programs: BA, Virgin, SAS, ANA, JAL, Asiana but sadly no longer Daimond Club
Ah brilliant, thanks for the info there. Well fingers crossed.
Old Jan 20, 2010, 1:46 am
jth

Programs: SK EBS, BAEC blue, SPG
Originally Posted by SK_RSJ
If you get upgraded to Business Class using Optiontown, *A upgrade or point upgrade at CI you will have access to the Business Class lounge SAS uses at the departing airport.

This is not clearly stated on the SAS homepage, but as you hold a C-class BP you will be let in without problems.
A bit OT but:
Actually, if you do a points upgrade at the checkin it says in the terms you are NOT entitled to ground services such as lounges. But your C-class BP looks the same as everybody elses so they cannot tell the difference. I have never been denied access, anyway
Old Jan 20, 2010, 3:51 am

Programs: A3*G, ex SK*G
Do any of you have any experience with optiontown upgrades intra-Europe? If so, what are typical costs of such an upgrade? Success rate of getting upgraded? Is it at all worth it?

-AspFF
Old Jan 20, 2010, 4:18 am

Programs: EB*G
I just got my confirmation for a ORD-ARN flight on Saturday. Applied yesterday and the cost was 175 Euro for cheap Economy > Economy Extra. Now I hope to be able to use 20,000 points to upgrade to C at the airport.

And of course the 150% earning is way better than 25%, especially with the double status points offer currently running.
Old Jan 20, 2010, 4:59 am

Originally Posted by caravaca
I just got my confirmation for a ORD-ARN flight on Saturday. Applied yesterday and the cost was 175 Euro for cheap Economy > Economy Extra. Now I hope to be able to use 20,000 points to upgrade to C at the airport.

And of course the 150% earning is way better than 25%, especially with the double status points offer currently running.
Do you know how much approx. they charge for an Economy Extra > Business upgrade on the same leg?
Old Jan 20, 2010, 5:35 am
jth

Programs: SK EBS, BAEC blue, SPG
Originally Posted by AspirationalFF
Do any of you have any experience with optiontown upgrades intra-Europe?
They only offer upgrades on the longhaul routes, so you cannot upgrade on europan flights.
Old Jan 20, 2010, 9:52 am

Programs: A3*G, ex SK*G
Originally Posted by jth
They only offer upgrades on the longhaul routes, so you cannot upgrade on europan flights.
Right. Thanks for the clarification!

-AspFF
Old Jan 20, 2010, 9:09 pm

Programs: EB*G
Originally Posted by maarit
Do you know how much approx. they charge for an Economy Extra > Business upgrade on the same leg?
If I remember correctly my Y+ ticket ARN-EWR would be about 475 Euro to upgrade to C. I did not go for it on the outbound flight.
Old Jan 21, 2010, 8:16 am
fcl

I am right now waiting for M->Y upgrade to clear on CPH-NRT tomorrow (cost was 199). There is availablity in all cabins on this flight but I hope SAS wants the extra added revenue for the upgrade even if they don't need to clear space in M. I am wondering whether I will kill the chance of it clearing if I check in online? What is the closest time to departure that an optiontown upgrade has been cleared for those who have tried it here?
Old Jan 21, 2010, 11:38 am

Programs: Flying Blue, Eurobonus
My experience with Optiontown upgrades has not been so good! Last two flights I tried it (both Tokyo-Copenhagen) the upgrades did not clear. But there was plenty of room in C so I upgraded with points instead. I found that weird that they would not take my money but accept points for an upgrade?! The only time it did work was when Economy was obviously full, so I would probably have been op-uped anyway.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.