Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

UA Premier Platinum Moving to Europe

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20, 2014, 2:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium, TAP Gold

Currently based out of SFO as a UA Premier Platinum, I am moving to Berlin, which has pretty poor *A availability.

My travel next year will likely be limited to inter-EU travel with a few trips back to the US (IAH & SFO).

Any thoughts on:
1) Whether I should stick with *A?
2) Whether I should switch to another alliance?
3) Which airline I should switch to?

If sticking with *A, I'm thinking of flying Lufthansa and crediting miles to Aegean to hit gold, and then crediting remainder miles to UA. I'm also considering switching to Air Berlin, requesting a status match for AirBerlin Gold, and then crediting miles to either BA or AA.

Thanks ahead for all your thoughts!
Old Oct 20, 2014, 3:25 pm

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
If you are doing mostly inter-Europe and a few trips back to US, you can consider both Topbonus and staying with UA, although you may miss Platinum for both airlines. You can get to Topbonus Gold (OW Sapphire) on segments and UA Gold (*G) by miles.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 3:31 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
The biggest caveat I would say of being based in Berlin now is that LH has switched TXL flights except for FRA & MUC to Germanwings which is a "partner" for UA MP and there have been lots of stories and issues regarding getting miles to post, no *G lounge access etc.

For me depending on my time and what options I have the past 3 trips I have done EWR-FRA J and then booked another ticket for FRA-TXL since you can get them pretty cheap.
Recent ball park figures but EWR-TXL-EWR J could be like $4200, EWR-FRA-TXL-FRA-EWR J like $3900 and then EWR-FRA-EWR $2850. You can get a r/t LH flight for like $150 and with nearly hourly flights that I haven't seen full I wouldn't sweat (too much) late arrival in FRA to miss the TXL flight.

You'll also want to check on the LH earnings as only two fares for intraEU flights earn miles to MP: http://www.united.com/CMS/en-US/mark...spx?ItemId=298

How long will be you living in Berlin? Is it just a year...5 years? Maybe do the status match to Air Berlin who has recently been trying to carve out a market share with Ethiad. See how it goes flying for a while?
Old Oct 20, 2014, 4:31 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the helpful feedback! You bring up some great points

- Right now, only planning on staying in Berlin for a couple of years
- J class costs look fine...curious whether routing FRA-IAH is comparable in price?
- I wasn't aware that there have been so many problems with Germanwings; I'll research more
- Do you think that Etihad will make waves? The only reason why I want to stick with United is because of the mileage redemption...curious as to whether Etihad's will be as valuable
- Also, crediting AirBerlin miles to AA might not be a strong strategy; as mentioned, there are very low % redemptions...but not seeing a good alternative with OneWorld

Originally Posted by JVPhoto
The biggest caveat I would say of being based in Berlin now is that LH has switched TXL flights except for FRA & MUC to Germanwings which is a "partner" for UA MP and there have been lots of stories and issues regarding getting miles to post, no *G lounge access etc.

For me depending on my time and what options I have the past 3 trips I have done EWR-FRA J and then booked another ticket for FRA-TXL since you can get them pretty cheap.
Recent ball park figures but EWR-TXL-EWR J could be like $4200, EWR-FRA-TXL-FRA-EWR J like $3900 and then EWR-FRA-EWR $2850. You can get a r/t LH flight for like $150 and with nearly hourly flights that I haven't seen full I wouldn't sweat (too much) late arrival in FRA to miss the TXL flight.

You'll also want to check on the LH earnings as only two fares for intraEU flights earn miles to MP: http://www.united.com/CMS/en-US/mark...spx?ItemId=298

How long will be you living in Berlin? Is it just a year...5 years? Maybe do the status match to Air Berlin who has recently been trying to carve out a market share with Ethiad. See how it goes flying for a while?
Old Oct 20, 2014, 5:04 pm

There is a thread in the UA forum about 4U (Germanwings) I'm on my phone or I would find and link you. It's caused me to make an extra stop when I fly CDG-TXL or LHR.

I can't say for IAH prices but look at FRA-IAH or MUC-IAH and consider like I said giving yourself a cushion and booking a sep ticket if you're paying for J. Last trip it was like $2000 less flying just to FRA in J and then buying another ticket to TXL. Hell I would even take the train to save 2k and fly J TATL.

I can't speak too much about Air Berlin and their redemptions but I did read something about LH trying to sue or get the gov't involved about the routes and things Ethiad was pushing AB.

Ps I think you'll love Berlin and remember you can also fly SK or SN depending on where you want to go in Europe and credit to MileagePlus.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 8:46 pm
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
Please continue the discussion here - http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...l#post23707258
Old Oct 21, 2014, 1:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat
I'd stick with UA. I also second the idea of simply flying into FRA/MUC and buying a separate ticket to TXL (or just taking the train).

On another note, I am jealous of your move. Berlin has been one of our goals for a long time but I just haven't found a position that would let us move there.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 6:14 pm
Original Poster

I think that's probably the *best* option...although, I couldn't help but hoping for the possibility to quit flying United ...

Originally Posted by Hartmann
I'd stick with UA. I also second the idea of simply flying into FRA/MUC and buying a separate ticket to TXL (or just taking the train).

On another note, I am jealous of your move. Berlin has been one of our goals for a long time but I just haven't found a position that would let us move there.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 6:17 pm
Original Poster

All true...I think the verdict is to stay with UA + *A, and I should probably do the address switch to eliminate PQD requirement for next year as soon as I move.

Originally Posted by JVPhoto
There is a thread in the UA forum about 4U (Germanwings) I'm on my phone or I would find and link you. It's caused me to make an extra stop when I fly CDG-TXL or LHR.

I can't say for IAH prices but look at FRA-IAH or MUC-IAH and consider like I said giving yourself a cushion and booking a sep ticket if you're paying for J. Last trip it was like $2000 less flying just to FRA in J and then buying another ticket to TXL. Hell I would even take the train to save 2k and fly J TATL.

I can't speak too much about Air Berlin and their redemptions but I did read something about LH trying to sue or get the gov't involved about the routes and things Ethiad was pushing AB.

Ps I think you'll love Berlin and remember you can also fly SK or SN depending on where you want to go in Europe and credit to MileagePlus.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 8:02 pm

And the point that may have gotten lost in my post was that being in TXL you aren't automatically locked into what LH has turned into crappy 4U routes.

From TXL you can fly directly to EWR, BRU, FRA, ARN, OSL, CPH, ZRH, MUC, LIS, TLV, ATH, IST, VIE and with a connection you can still stay on "real" *A to get to any other major capital/city...Rome, London, Paris, Warsaw, Dublin, Geneva, Barcelona, Prague, etc. For me the biggest pain is that LHR/CDG-TXL are 4U which now means having to make a connection.

And if you fly LX on some of these shorter routes and are a nerd you can geek out getting to fly on the Avroliners.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 6:27 am

Programs: UA 1P 1MM, IHG Plat, HH Silver, DB BahnComfort
I agree completely with JVPhoto. I live in Stuttgart, and after my most recent experience with Germanwings, I will continue my efforts to avoid them whenever possible. When I fly STR-TXL, I now use Air Berlin, even though I only have BA Blue status. Still better than 4U! But if you are flying a lot of intra-Europe flights, you'll have no problems connecting from TXL with LH, LX, OS or other *A carriers. And I think the Senator Lounge in TXL is quite nice, even though it's not too big.

Have fun in Berlin, it's a great city!
Old Nov 3, 2014, 1:04 pm
Original Poster

Wanted to share a very interesting analysis by LufthansaFlyer who is switching from MileagePlus to Miles & More.

Although, I think I'm going to stick with UA.
Old Nov 3, 2014, 1:26 pm

Originally Posted by pnt1
Wanted to share a very interesting analysis by LufthansaFlyer who is switching from MileagePlus to Miles & More.

Although, I think I'm going to stick with UA.
It's not a perfect argument but it works for me and what I need from an FF plan. Plus United let me down a few times with flight bumps, stand by issues and a few things that added up over time.
Old Nov 5, 2014, 1:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Your question of UA vs another alliance/airline ffp has been asked before
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/infor...help-here.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/onewo...help-here.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.