Gold for life, time to switch?

Old Jan 4, 20, 10:52 am
Original Poster

Gold for life, time to switch?

Hello everyone, my first post here so apologies if this is something that has been addressed before.

Iíve been trying to figure this out but wondering if someone smart here can help me answer this.

- I was recently awarded gold for life.
- Most years I get to GGL havenít yet this year at (1600 TP but look like I will).
- I fly first on all of my long haul trips (mostly LAX-LHR) so get access to the Concorde room and first lounge anyway.
-I moved to the US a few years ago so fly more internally with American but use my BA FF when I do.
-Iím flying less that I used to so unlikely to get to Gold guest list for life.

Is now a good time to switch to American loyalty program? Is there anything that they offer that my status at BA wonít match?

Thanks in advance.

TT.
Old Jan 4, 20, 11:02 am

Programs: BA GGL, TK Elite
AA tends to prioritise their own members for upgrades, that is the only advantage I could see in switching. Apart from that the move to AA seems pretty pointless. If you want to try out new things, why not check out star alliance?
Old Jan 4, 20, 11:15 am

Programs: Aadvantage platinum; IHG Spire
Don’t you get AC lounge access for domestic flights with BAEC gold that you don’t get with AA EP? That’s the only downside I can think of.

One of the upsides of switching would be the system wide upgrades you get on AA.
Old Jan 4, 20, 11:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador
Welcome to posting on FT!

If you do a lot of internal flights in the US, I would pick either United (Star Alliance) or Delta (SkyTeam) and start building status with them. Delta tend to have the better reputation, but it depends on whether you'd fly with other airlines in SkyTeam.

There's little point to earning status with another oneworld airline if you will always be Emerald.
Old Jan 4, 20, 11:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

threethousand Welcome to FT

Originally Posted by threethousand View Post
Hello everyone, my first post here so apologies if this is something that has been addressed before.

I’ve been trying to figure this out but wondering if someone smart here can help me answer this.

- I was recently awarded gold for life.
- Most years I get to GGL haven’t yet this year at (1600 TP but look like I will).
- I fly first on all of my long haul trips (mostly LAX-LHR) so get access to the Concorde room and first lounge anyway.
-I moved to the US a few years ago so fly more internally with American but use my BA FF when I do.
-I’m flying less that I used to so unlikely to get to Gold guest list for life.

Is now a good time to switch to American loyalty program? Is there anything that they offer that my status at BA won’t match?
Questions BA vs AA from people who live in UK or USA are not uncommon

What do you use the avios for?
What benefits do you get from BA status?
If flying long haul in a premium cabin, status does not get you many extra benefits.

Some of the main difference
  • BA status will get you lounge access for USA domestic flights. The equivalent AA status will not
  • AA status will/can get you upgrades (~on the upgrade list and/or SWU). With BA status not on the upgrade list
  • AA is a revenue based ffp. Program changes are making it harder to get AA status (as AA want)

Other threads
28 Nov 2019 - Ditch UA 1K for BA Gold ? Lives in USA. 14 transatlantic & 30 domestic US flights.
23 Oct 2019 - AA and BA Account Lives in USA. Has AA account. Sign up for BA?
15 Jul 2019 - Which loyalty program for US to London on BA? Lives in USA. Family trip to UK
12 Dec 2018 - Just moved to London: AA versus BA versus United UA 1K & AA lifetime Gold (AA forum). Good BA AA summary

Oneworld:- Deciding on a Oneworld Frequent Flyer Program? Help is here

I would stay with BA ffp and consider flying another alliance for some flights
Old Jan 4, 20, 11:28 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Silver, Mucci
I'm sure more sage advice will come along but nothing from me as I am very unlikely to ever hit Gold for Life.

However, here's a few previous threads which you may find interesting and a warm welcome to Flyertalk and the BA Board threethousand ^

GFL - what next?
GfL and trying other airlines
Mwenenzi likes this.
Old Jan 4, 20, 12:01 pm

Programs: BAEC gold, M&M FQTV
There are so many variables it's hard to know what to recommend. If your main route is still LAX-LHR and you fly paid first, then you should probably stick with oneworld since VS and NZ only have biz class and all other airlines mean you have to connect somewhere.
If you are flying paid first within the US, then you don't need the upgrades that could come with AA's EXP status (note that these are getting harder and harder to come by). in that case, BA might still be better since it will save you the cost of an Admiral's Club membership. On the other hand, if you are USA based, using a joker as BA GGL means you have to go through London to get anywhere which might not be the most convenient routing for vacations.
Delta has good service but Delta's FF program is not very good (meaning you have to use astronomical amounts of miles to get award tickets).
For me, service in IRROPs would be important. If you're flying more within the US, then being EXP might be better than being BA Gold but I would think you would still get good service recovery when things go wrong.

Last edited by eefor jfp; Jan 4, 20 at 2:37 pm Reason: changed VX to VS (thanks Mwenenzi; VX was Virgin America; I should have looked it up).
Old Jan 4, 20, 12:36 pm
Original Poster

Thank you!

Really helpful, thank you so much. Iíll read through all the other threads today.

Old Jan 4, 20, 12:39 pm
Original Poster

I don’t really see that many benefits to be honest. I also don’t really spend my Avios I’m sat on a big chunk but my flights are always covered by the company.
I’d been looking for other ways to spend them (hotels, vouchers etc) none of them seem as cost effective as flights so I figured I’d just hold on to them to use for personal flying later down the line.
Old Jan 4, 20, 12:41 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
I'd stick with what you have and enjoy it. Your EXP would need to be renewed every year and I believe there is no soft landing, so if your travel drops off, so does the benefit. With BAEC GfL you'll always have your benefits. Plus you get your 100% avios bonus and if you're flying a lot you get the jokers etc. Access to AA lounges using BAEC is an excellent benefit. As someone else said, if you're already in First, SWU won't be much use and I concur that they are difficult to use. Have some friends with high AA status and they repeatedly complain of lack of availability to use them. I see where you question probably comes from, a bit of a feeling of "what next?". Perhaps I'm wrong though. But if it were me (which for another 20-30 years it likely will be not), I would just enjoy the fruits of gold and not stress about trying to hit top level on another FF program. If you are tempted outside, try a Status Match or Challenge as a faster way to hitting top-tier.
PETER01 likes this.
Old Jan 4, 20, 12:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by threethousand View Post
I don’t really see that many benefits to be honest. I also don’t really spend my Avios I’m sat on a big chunk but my flights are always covered by the company.
I’d been looking for other ways to spend them (hotels, vouchers etc) none of them seem as cost effective as flights so I figured I’d just hold on to them to use for personal flying later down the line.
Far better to spend the avios on flights (self family others) when you can and not later. They will not increase in value

Fixed link GfL and trying other airlines

off topic

Originally Posted by eefor jfp View Post
....If your main route is still LAX-LHR and you fly paid first, then you should probably stick with oneworld since VX and NZ only have biz class and all other airlines mean you have to connect somewhere.
Air NZ are going to stop flying LAX-LHR. Will no longer being flying to UK from Oct 2020
Links
https://www.airnewzealand.co.nz/pres...tional-network
https://www.stuff.co.nz/travel/news/...after-36-years

VX = VS Virgin Atlantic?

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Jan 4, 20 at 12:48 pm
Old Jan 4, 20, 1:09 pm

Programs: BA Gold/Life. Marriott T/Life, DL Diamond, Hilton Diamond,UA 1K
Moved to the US 20 years ago and flew with BA enough to get GFL but after 8 more years only at 40000 TP
Diamond with Delta and just 1k with United
delta best domestic for flights for me but united partners much better for international business class awards. Fly American 1 in 30 flights due to my location but access to Los Angeles Flagship lounge is good and using Avios for short domestic and Hawaii is great value vs using them on BA.
i have an AA membership number with nothing in it as I always credit BA Diversify to Delta worked well for me
Old Jan 4, 20, 1:12 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold; Hilton Gold, IHG Spire, Marriott Titanium, Wyndham Diamond
I suggest enjoying being free of the hamster wheel of status chasing and just enjoy the status that you have!
Crampedin13A and Tobias-UK like this.
Old Jan 4, 20, 1:13 pm
Suspended

Programs: BAEC GGL, HH DIAMOND, AVIS Presidents Club, Karahi Express
Simple Answer - No
Old Jan 4, 20, 1:21 pm

Programs: BA GGL (98% to Lifetime Gold), SPG convert from IHG (and Marriott fan now!)
Personal view (having made GfL in the last few months) is to try out other options. Pressure of retaining status being removed is weirdly liberating. Iíve a couple of European short haul trips on Star Alliance members booked for the next few months and may try SkyTeam to South America (if I can find other uses for my remaining GUFs and jokers). VS one way to Boston or Tel Aviv in Premium also on my radar (to use a credit card voucher) - but I wouldnít want to do Premium on an overnight

(And having experienced TAP lounge in Lisbon I wonít be complying (as much) about BAís lounges!)

Search this Thread
Search Engine: