Wiki Posts
Search

United MileagePlus vs. Lufthansa Miles&More [merged]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2007, 10:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, airline free agent
United MileagePlus vs. Lufthansa Miles&More [merged]

A little background... I am a UA 1K, based in SFO, travel about 50% US domestic, 30% to Europe, 20% to Japan. Given flight patterns and home base UA is my airline of choice.

I am about to embark on a trip to India that will have me exclusively on LH, in C class. I am considering banking the miles from my upcoming trip into a new LH M&M account as opposed to my UA MP account. Having read up on M&M (in this forum an on the LH site) I want to make sure that my mileage accumulation assumptions are correct for my upcoming trip. If you could, please take a look and let me know if I'm incorrect somewhere.

Again this is all in C class and I currently have no status on LH

SFO-MUC 11758 redeemable miles / 11758 Status miles
MUC WAW 1500 / 3000
WAW FRA 1500 / 3000
FRA BOM 8174 / 8174
BOM FRA 8174 / 8174
FRA SFO 11398 / 11398

Assuming the above is correct that would put me at 42504 redeemable miles and 45504 status miles. By the end of the trip I should be an FT. (By comparison, I would be getting 40162 / 26541 if I bank this trip to UA MP)

Is all this correct? Any other advice?

Last edited by HSaxa; Feb 27, 2007 at 10:51 am
Old Feb 27, 2007, 10:49 am

Programs: LH SEN, SN Gold, Eurostar Carte Blanche, BA, QF, AF
Originally Posted by HSaxa
MUC WAW 1500 / 3000
WAW FRA 1500 / 3000
I don't get these numbers - shouldn't this be 2000/2000 in both cases?

I haven't checked your other numbers, but you should get twice the distance miles both as award and status miles.

If your numbers are correct, you should be FTL after this, and for all subsequent flights you would get a 25% bonus on all M&M and NA airlines.

SmilingBoy.
Old Feb 27, 2007, 10:56 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SmilingBoy
I don't get these numbers - shouldn't this be 2000/2000 in both cases?

I haven't checked your other numbers, but you should get twice the distance miles both as award and status miles.

If your numbers are correct, you should be FTL after this, and for all subsequent flights you would get a 25% bonus on all M&M and NA airlines.

SmilingBoy.
Thanks for the reply. I was uncertain about the European segments so 2000 / 2000 is probably correct. As for the other segments, I did just double the base mileage.
Old Feb 27, 2007, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
Most of it appears to be correct. MUC - WAW and v/v is 2000 miles each. Status miles and redeemable miles are identical. You could make a small sidetrip in Germany and fly this schedule:

SFO-MUC 11758 miles
MUC-FRA 1500 miles
FRA-WAW 2000 miles
WAW-FRA 2000 miles
FRA-BOM 8174 miles
BOM-FRA 8174 miles
FRA-MUC 1500 miles
MUC-SFO 11758 miles + 1468 miles.

Should cost only little extra (taxes) and bring you over the hurdle to FTL before your return flight giving you the executive bonus and you would end up with 48332 miles.
Old Feb 28, 2007, 1:59 am
TKG

Programs: SPG Lifetime Platinum, Star Alliance Gold
Not sure if this is actually possible, but it might be worthwhile to ask M&M whether they can comp you status based on your 1K-ness.
Old Feb 28, 2007, 2:25 am

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold
Originally Posted by TKG
Not sure if this is actually possible, but it might be worthwhile to ask M&M whether they can comp you status based on your 1K-ness.
Actually I'd say no, it's not worthwhile as it is absolutely unlikely that M&M would do so…
Old Feb 28, 2007, 3:31 am

Programs: LH SEN+, UA 1k, AA Plat, Solitaire PPS, BA Silver, :rolleyes:, :eek:
Currently 1k is not sufficient for status matching with LH.

A GS might try with his regional LH sales manager - if the latter one has a good day and the former can prove he will have significant business with LH in the near future the GS might be matched to SEN.
Old Feb 28, 2007, 1:38 pm
Original Poster

The recent threads really have me wondering if I should even post this trip to LH as opposed to UA. From reading this board, it does not sound like I'd gain much from posting this to LH as I am already UA1K / *A Gold, so making it to FTL on LH does not add much, except for diversification in mileage programs (and I understand that redeeming miles on LH is easier)

If I has a good sense that I could make it to HON / 100k status miles on LH this year, then I would go for it, but at this point, I am rather pessimistic that I could achieve another 56,500 status miles on LH.

Is making it to FTL alone worth it?
Old Feb 28, 2007, 2:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
Well, you would never make to HON, but to SEN (Star G) only. FTL makes sense if you travel in Germany and parts of Europe on cheap Eco tickets, because you get free lounge access in certain locations.

But in the US? It will make sense for you to reach SEN because you would get free access to these lovely RCCs on domestic flights, but that's it.
Old Feb 28, 2007, 2:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Currently in Bloomington, IN, but Normally NYC, CDG, and even POZ or wherever FT takes me.
Programs: Northwest Airlines. MTA pay-per-ride Metrocard; zero-balance Oyster card.
Originally Posted by Flying Lawyer
Well, you would never make to HON, but to SEN (Star G) only. FTL makes sense if you travel in Germany and parts of Europe on cheap Eco tickets, because you get free lounge access in certain locations.

But in the US? It will make sense for you to reach SEN because you would get free access to these lovely RCCs on domestic flights, but that's it.

I thought RCCs are closed to SENs now?

---

To the OP: I've asked myself this question a million times too. Most of my *A segments are UA domestic, though most of my longhauls are other carriers in C or F, paid. Because of the enormous bonuses that LH gives for paid premium cabin travel, I have stuck with them, even though it does absolutely nothing for me on UA. (And I was a Sen until this year - still, basically no help on UA).

If you ever fly paid F within the USA on UA you might wish to consider crediting those flights to LH too. That's what I've been doing and I'm slowly accumulating a nice pile. But, like I said, I get no respect from UA.
Old Feb 28, 2007, 2:52 pm

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by notsosmart
..If you ever fly paid F within the USA on UA you might wish to consider crediting those flights to LH too..
Yes, F,A,P accumulation into Miles&More is worthwile .. but you will
not get first meal choice as an LH*G .. so it can be tough at times .
Old Feb 28, 2007, 3:39 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Flying Lawyer
Sorry, yes, I meant SEN. I already (I believe) get lounge access as a *A gold. So really it seems like the perks only start if I can get to SEN, and then access lounges here in the US. (But even that seems to be in doubt given nottosmart's post)

Last edited by HSaxa; Feb 28, 2007 at 3:54 pm
Old Feb 28, 2007, 3:58 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by notsosmart
I thought RCCs are closed to SENs now?
Not AFAIK. The change last year was UA no longer provided automatic E+ for non-UA *G travelling in Y.
Old Feb 28, 2007, 8:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HSaxa
The recent threads really have me wondering if I should even post this trip to LH as opposed to UA. From reading this board, it does not sound like I'd gain much from posting this to LH as I am already UA1K / *A Gold, so making it to FTL on LH does not add much, except for diversification in mileage programs (and I understand that redeeming miles on LH is easier)

Is making it to FTL alone worth it?
Also bear in mind that the extra 26K miles on UA might get you close(r) to an additional 2 SWUs on UA, in case these are incremental miles on top of your first 100K EQMs.
Old Feb 28, 2007, 11:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Currently in Bloomington, IN, but Normally NYC, CDG, and even POZ or wherever FT takes me.
Programs: Northwest Airlines. MTA pay-per-ride Metrocard; zero-balance Oyster card.
Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
Not AFAIK. The change last year was UA no longer provided automatic E+ for non-UA *G travelling in Y.
Oh right. That was the change. A major one actually!

Has me considering a NW > UA status match. Wonder what a plat would get? I better ask in the appropriate forum...

My problem is that I don't fly enough to realistically support more than one primary and one secondary program. UA and LH are not attainable for me at the same time. I gotta pick one. Decisions decisions...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.