Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Marco Polo Club
Reload this Page >

Moving to the states later in the year - worth to keep CX?

Moving to the states later in the year - worth to keep CX?

Old Jan 29, 20, 1:10 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Hong Kong
Programs: CX MPC Gold, Mariott Titanium
Posts: 51
Moving to the states later in the year - worth to keep CX?

Hi guys,

This is probably very subjective but wanted to get your opinions on whether it's worth it to keep CX loyalty if I'm moving from HKG -> USA in May. A while back, I would have had no hesitation making the switch to AA, but CX, in my opinion (or I have just been lucky) has been exceeding my expectations recently. I've been getting upgrades on one leg of almost all my domestic Asia flights as a CX gold and cabin crew have been extra welcoming. Only disappointing thing would be redemption availability is still terrible.

I don't have any experience on AA's loyalty program, so wanted to ask if it is worth making the switch? I believe most my flights will be domestic Y / J with 1-2 J back to HKG each year after I move to the states.

I know there have been similar posts before, but wanted an updated opinion based on where the programs are now.

Thanks in advance!
Oneworldflyer64 is offline  
Old Jan 29, 20, 2:16 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: LHR
Programs: BA Silver/ows, CX AsiaMiles (not even GR anymore!) missing my GO days
Posts: 1,547
A lot of variables. Some things to consider:

- If you can maintain GO, you get benefits like lounge access on AA domestic not available to AA elites or domestic premium cabin pax. But you lose out on whatever upgrade opportunities AA elites get.

- make sure you understand what status you're likely to earn if you switch to AA under their spending requirements.

- sticking with MPO/AM you miss out on non-flying earn opportunities available with AA in the US, whatever those are (credit cards, etc).

- finally, ask if you really need to stick to oneworld. The AA board here is a pretty miserable place these days given AA's poor reliability and service compared to the likes of DL.
nmuva98 likes this.
CrazyJ82 is offline  
Old Jan 29, 20, 2:16 am
  #3  
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Bangkok, Thailand
Programs: CX MPC Diamond (ow emerald), TU Miles & More elite (SA Gold), Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite
Posts: 172
Will you be flying with AA or other US carriers frequently otherwise?
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
cmiller11101 is offline  
Old Jan 29, 20, 2:47 am
  #4  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Hong Kong
Programs: CX MPC Gold, Mariott Titanium
Posts: 51
Originally Posted by cmiller11101 View Post
Will you be flying with AA or other US carriers frequently otherwise?
I don't have a preference right now, I plan to stick to one program though, if AA is the best choice, then I will be sticking to AA, unless people tell me Delta or United are better
Oneworldflyer64 is offline  
Old Jan 29, 20, 2:51 am
  #5  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Hong Kong
Programs: CX MPC Gold, Mariott Titanium
Posts: 51
Originally Posted by CrazyJ82 View Post
A lot of variables. Some things to consider:

- If you can maintain GO, you get benefits like lounge access on AA domestic not available to AA elites or domestic premium cabin pax. But you lose out on whatever upgrade opportunities AA elites get.

- make sure you understand what status you're likely to earn if you switch to AA under their spending requirements.

- sticking with MPO/AM you miss out on non-flying earn opportunities available with AA in the US, whatever those are (credit cards, etc).

- finally, ask if you really need to stick to oneworld. The AA board here is a pretty miserable place these days given AA's poor reliability and service compared to the likes of DL.
Thanks for the detailed reply.
I will definitely be flying domestic US more than international going forward and can most likely hit the equivalent of OWS in AA. Let me scour the AA boards - I'm going in with the exepctation that US carriers will never be as good as Asian ones anyways haha.
I don't really have to stick to OW, I just did in the past out of convenience.
Oneworldflyer64 is offline  
Old Jan 29, 20, 3:19 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: HKG
Programs: AA EXP, Marco Polo Silver, Hilton Diamond, Marriott G, Hyatt Disc.
Posts: 18
Very subjective. I made a similar evaluation when I moved to HK from the US. I fly mostly Cathay PE/J both regionally and back to the US, and AA domestically.
I stuck with AA for a few reasons -

I fly enough to hit Executive Platinum - my experience in clearing Y->F upgrades on AA is pretty good (really depends on if you fly from an elite heavy airport on elite heavy days/routes). Cant speak to what it would be like at Platinum status though.

Mileage earning on AA is much better than Cathay - redemptions are easier than when I was CX Gold.

You do give up free access to Admirals Clubs if you switch to AA as all AA members except Conceirege Key (invite only) have to pay for lounge access. You can always buy a day pass ($50) or yearly pass for ~$450 though. CX GO get this for free when travelling on AA.

If you do fly enough to attain Executive Platinum (much easier than CX Diamond) you get 4 one way upgrades anywhere AA flies their own metal. I use these to upgrade two round trips LAX-HKG from Y->J and have a 100% clearance rate thus far.
spartanmu is offline  
Old Jan 29, 20, 3:23 am
  #7  
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: TPE / HSZ
Programs: CX MPO GO (=SPH), IHG Spire, Hertz 5*, National Emerald Club
Posts: 5,059
Originally Posted by Oneworldflyer64 View Post
Thanks for the detailed reply.
I will definitely be flying domestic US more than international going forward and can most likely hit the equivalent of OWS in AA. Let me scour the AA boards - I'm going in with the exepctation that US carriers will never be as good as Asian ones anyways haha.
I don't really have to stick to OW, I just did in the past out of convenience.
Just want to add that, even if you switch to the AAdvantage, you can still enter Admirals Club when flying AA for the remainder of your MPO GO membership.
ernestnywang is offline  
Old Jan 29, 20, 4:00 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: SIN
Programs: AS MVPG75k, AA Plat
Posts: 671
In your position I'd probably fly DL and accrue AF/KL FB. It's not as miserable as flying AA/UA. If you want domestic upgrades then fly AA and accrue AA, but do ~2 CX/JL PE runs a year, or fly UA and accrue UA, but do ~2 NH/LH PE runs a year.
Unionruler is online now  
Old Jan 29, 20, 7:43 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: NYC
Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Explorist
Posts: 350
Hi,

Another point to consider: are you moving to the US indefinitely? Or is it for a work assigment (say 1-5 years)?
When I moved from the US to HK for a 2-year contract, I decided to keep my AA membership and not get CX status, as I knew I would move back to the US.
Auto Enthusiast and Mwenenzi like this.
zip10001 is offline  
Old Jan 29, 20, 7:45 am
  #10  
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: SIN
Programs: AS MVPG75k, AA Plat
Posts: 671
Originally Posted by zip10001 View Post
Hi,

Another point to consider: are you moving to the US indefinitely? Or is it for a work assigment (say 1-5 years)?
When I moved from the US to HK for a 2-year contract, I decided to keep my AA membership and not get CX status, as I knew I would move back to the US.
That's different haha CX is good for AA EQM/EQD running.
Unionruler is online now  
Old Jan 29, 20, 10:35 am
  #11  
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 54
I've been CX Gold or Silver somewhat alternate years for the past 5 years. My experience in upgrades has been superb. I book Premium Economy ORD - HKG. About 50% of the time, I am upgraded to J. On the return route, HKG - ORD, my upgrades have been closer to 75% of the time. When I am not upgraded, PE has been less than full, allowing me to use two seats with maybe one or two exceptions in a full PE section in 5 years of flying. A family member was upgraded from PE R fare to J HKG - ORD with a Green membership during a peak summer travel period.

I haven't been high status on American for a number of years, but have never had that upgrade experience.

I've also been pleased with the Pier CX Lounge at HKG.
FlyerfromORD is offline  
Old Jan 29, 20, 8:54 pm
  #12  
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: JFK
Programs: CX Green | UA Silver | Marriott Lifetime Platinum | Hyatt Globalist | A-Club Silver | AA EXP
Posts: 793
Originally Posted by Oneworldflyer64 View Post
A while back, I would have had no hesitation making the switch to AA, but CX, in my opinion (or I have just been lucky) has been exceeding my expectations recently. I've been getting upgrades on one leg of almost all my domestic Asia flights as a CX gold and cabin crew have been extra welcoming.
I left MPC for AA in 2015 when MPC was 'enhanced' and left CX long-haul for other OW airlines at the same time. Earlier this month I flew CX long-haul (i.e. US - HK) only for the second time as AA OWE and was upgraded from J to F. In my 7 years as CX DM, I was never op-uped from J to F so I wouldn't use your CX inter-Asia op-up experience as basis for staying vs. leaving MPC as there are many variables with op-up and moving forward your CX flights will mostly be long-haul (i.e. US - HK) rather than inter-Asia.

Originally Posted by CrazyJ82 View Post
- If you can maintain GO, you get benefits like lounge access on AA domestic not available to AA elites or domestic premium cabin pax. But you lose out on whatever upgrade opportunities AA elites get.
As AA OWS, you shouldn't hope for AA op-up as it is practically non-existent especially if your route is elite heavy (i.e. to/from AA fortress hub).

Originally Posted by Oneworldflyer64 View Post
I don't have a preference right now, I plan to stick to one program though, if AA is the best choice, then I will be sticking to AA, unless people tell me Delta or United are better
Originally Posted by Unionruler View Post
In your position I'd probably fly DL and accrue AF/KL FB. It's not as miserable as flying AA/UA. If you want domestic upgrades then fly AA and accrue AA, but do ~2 CX/JL PE runs a year, or fly UA and accrue UA, but do ~2 NH/LH PE runs a year.
Originally Posted by CrazyJ82 View Post
- finally, ask if you really need to stick to oneworld. The AA board here is a pretty miserable place these days given AA's poor reliability and service compared to the likes of DL.
Where in the US will you be located? While DL maybe a better airline, it doesn't make sense to fly DL domestically if you're located at a UA or AA fortress hub because 1) less frequency and 2) all your flights will be routed through DL hubs like ATL.

Originally Posted by Oneworldflyer64 View Post
I will definitely be flying domestic US more than international going forward and can most likely hit the equivalent of OWS in AA.
You may want to double check MPC earning table but considering how stingy MPC is with partner airlines' club points, 1 to 2 CX J flights back to HKG + AA US domestic flights may not be sufficient for you to retain CX Gold (CX OWS). So if the choice (based on your flight pattern) is between CX OWR vs. AA OWS, I would say go for AA OWS (assuming you're not located at UA or DL fortress hubs and decide to stay with OW).

Also, if you work for a company, check to see if they have airline status match/challenge deal (if you decide to switch from MPC). Yes, airlines like AA has publicly available status challenge but there is a $ cost to participate. Your employer may have one without $ cost. When I switched from MPC to AA, AA matched my CX DM and gave me AA EXP/OWE (even though AA and CX are part of the same OW alliance). I got that through my employer.

Last edited by Rivarix; Jan 29, 20 at 9:13 pm
Rivarix is offline  
Old Jan 29, 20, 9:35 pm
  #13  
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: SFO/HKG
Programs: ex-UA 1K, AA EXP, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 478
Originally Posted by ernestnywang View Post
Just want to add that, even if you switch to the AAdvantage, you can still enter Admirals Club when flying AA for the remainder of your MPO GO membership.
That's a good point. I will say most of the domestic lounges are terrible anyways so don't think OP would be missing out on much.

One key question to the OP is where are you moving to? If you're moving to a city that is a non-AA hub and flying to other non-AA hubs (with the exception of JFK), then you need to ask if it's going to be realistic for you to fly through LAX, PHX, CLT, or PHL to make onward connections.
ernestnywang likes this.
triplefives is offline  
Old Jan 29, 20, 9:56 pm
  #14  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Hong Kong
Programs: CX MPC Gold, Mariott Titanium
Posts: 51
Hey guys, thanks for all the replies.

I will be moving to North Carolina for two years and then New York indefinitely after that.

A lot of my flights will be between RDU JFK LAX and SFO if that helps, with the occasional trip back to HKG / ASIA.

As for OP ups - I have received a J->F upgrade a few months ago from HKG -> LAX. One thing I did notice is that these upgrades only started happening in the last 12 months for CX. As Crazy as this sounds, I think I have been upgraded on one leg of every single round trip CX flight I've taken in the last 12 months, including long haul (unless I was already flying J and there was no F obviously).
Oneworldflyer64 is offline  
Old Jan 29, 20, 9:56 pm
  #15  
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: New York
Programs: AA, CX, Hyatt, Marriott
Posts: 1,484
To be fair DL might be slightly better experience than AA, especially in terms of operations. But I won't just jump into ST without looking at your own frequent destinations (either for leisure or work):

If you don't frequent DL hubs or AMS/CDG or Latin America (for LATAM), there isn't really a need to go with DL; If you expect a lot of HKG-USA trip, could remain with OW; UA has great network (better than DL in general). If you have already decided to stay with OW, then the above advice applies.

Without knowing your location/domestic trip frequency, it's hard to tell which alliance/airline to go with.
andersonCooper is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: