Community
Wiki Posts
Search

miles and more versus other programs

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2014, 2:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AF platinum, ua gold 1mm, aa plat 1mm mile, hyatt diamond, starwood gold
miles and more versus other programs

Live in NYC, but will potentially be travelling monthly to Budapest. I like Austrian to Vienna - nonstop, you can rent nice car, easy drive versus ugly morning connection off red eye from USA. However, first time looking at Miles and More and was surprised by levels - first real status is SEN at 100K miles and you only get a 25% bonus. I am currently accruing Flying Blue Air France and for 30 flights a year get Gold Level and 75% bonus, for 70,000 miles flown, platinum and 100% bonus. On USA airlines, you get 100% bonus at higher levels and have intermediate status levels as you build up. Miles and More seems horrible (only 25% bonus, no intermediate levels) and HON seems almost unattainable at 300K per year. I guess I could keep accruing United Miles on Austrian (I am a million miler, ex global services though haven't flown them as much since moving to NYC)......Am I missing something?

Thanks in advance and apologies if missed answer elsewhere.
Old Apr 25, 2014, 4:36 pm
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
IMHO you really need to compare programs carefully - including based on what you want to redeem miles for. For example UA redemption levels on *A went us dramatically earlier this year (but UA still does not charge YQ - Fuel Surcharge, that M&M charges), but are still reasonable when you redeem on UA. You didn't share the booking classes you are normally ticketed in as there are also various differences - P Business Class would not earn you any miles when credited to UA but V & W would actually earn more with UA.

If your trips are limited to NYC-VIE, FTL status would get you lounge access (to LH Group lounges only), 25% Exec Bonus and 1 extra baggage (on LH Group flights only).

If you make it to SEN you would also be able to access all UA Clubs while traveling domestically within North America on *A.
Old Apr 25, 2014, 4:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON, BA Gold, EK Gold
If you travel in premium cabins (D class and above), then LH M&M is a pretty good program, especially if you travel mainly on LH group flights.

I'd base the decision where to credit on:
- the airline (group, i.e. LH group) I mostly fly
- the cabin and booking class I usually fly

Monthly NYC-BUD trips in Busines (>P class) will get you to SEN in no time and possibly HON if you can play it right.

If not, probably wise to collect with UA MP, again depending on booking class.

Alternatively, check out BA. The JFK-LHR service is fantastic in frequency and service and connections to BUD not too bad.
Even with WT+ (Premium Y) you will have status in no time.
Old Apr 25, 2014, 4:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

These may be of interest, including the linked threads
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/infor...help-here.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/star-...post-here.html
Old Apr 26, 2014, 2:08 am

Programs: BA, AA, SQ, UA, AC, WS, MR TIT
Originally Posted by Rambuster
If you travel in premium cabins (D class and above), then LH M&M is a pretty good program, especially if you travel mainly on LH group flights.

I'd base the decision where to credit on:
- the airline (group, i.e. LH group) I mostly fly
- the cabin and booking class I usually fly

Monthly NYC-BUD trips in Busines (>P class) will get you to SEN in no time and possibly HON if you can play it right.

If not, probably wise to collect with UA MP, again depending on booking class.

Alternatively, check out BA. The JFK-LHR service is fantastic in frequency and service and connections to BUD not too bad.
Even with WT+ (Premium Y) you will have status in no time.
+1 ^^^
Old Apr 27, 2014, 7:34 am

Programs: BA Bronze
Also depends on whether you are looking for status and/or miles for award tickets. A lot of guys in here fly in F or J, but as I'm pretty much always in Y I base my choice of program on what works in terms of credit card earning, as I earn a pittance of miles on actual flights. If it's miles that matter more than just status, different CC options available to you might influence your choice of program.
Old Apr 27, 2014, 11:20 pm

Programs: SEN**, Ex TK Elite+, Ex IB Sapphire, Hyatt Gold, Bonvoy, Meliá Platinum
Smile

To: testver...
Be careful, I would suggest you keep to your UA programme as I heard you are already top tier.
If you start with M&M and fly mainly on LH, then must buy high C class fares to get normal earnings.
Forget about P, Z classes, need minimum D and at 10/11 trips NYC BUD return in C, you can achieve SEN.
I would apply for TK, you get even better earnings on Swiss P class, and need only 70.000 miles to gold. But watch out, TK is changing so they might change the earnings for other *A partners as well.

Last edited by kai.lileboo; Apr 27, 2014 at 11:22 pm Reason: wrong person to reply
Old Apr 28, 2014, 4:49 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH LTD
Also consider what you plan to do with all those miles. If you spend M&M miles for air travel, you have to pay excessive YQ charges (often more than a discount Y ticket).
Old Apr 28, 2014, 8:20 am

Originally Posted by mapu
Also consider what you plan to do with all those miles. If you spend M&M miles for air travel, you have to pay excessive YQ charges (often more than a discount Y ticket).
Y awards are definitely not a good idea with M&M*. However, I find that the companion award (as SEN) and F availability on LH metal compensate for the higher YQ charges.

*except maybe for 1-day trips, open jaw / complex itineraries, last minute tickets and 4U flights (looks like a lot of exceptions but in the end it's not).

Last edited by mmff; Apr 28, 2014 at 8:27 am Reason: Forgot some exceptions. :)
Old Apr 28, 2014, 11:58 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, SPG Platinum, Hilton Diamond, A3 Gold
There are also several sweet spots as far as M&M redemptions are concerned.

testver68, what cabin will you be booking travel in? It looks like you are already UA Gold 1MM. Why are you considering M&M over UA?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.