Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

As an AY class Y flyer should I leave BAEC?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

As an AY class Y flyer should I leave BAEC?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8, 2015, 12:06 pm
Original Poster

Exclamation As an AY class Y flyer should I leave BAEC?

Me: Flying mainly short haul from Helsinki with AY and some random BA and AB flights. In addition, I fly 1-2 yearly AY long haul trips to US or Asia

My target:
  1. OW lounge access
  2. Business upgrades

Current status: BAEC Silver 600 points, Tier Point collection year ends 08SEP. Finnair Silver 12 000 points, tier point collection year ends 31DEC.

Upcoming flights:
  • June HEL-TXL-FRA-TXL-HEL (AB)
  • June HEL-MXP-HEL (AY)
  • June HEL-BIQ-HEL (AY)
  • Aug HEL-LHR-HEL (BA, J)
  • Aug HEL-BCN-HEL (AY)
  • Oct HEL-HKG-HEL (AY)
  • Oct HEL-LHR-HEL (BA, J)

Problem:
I fly mostly AY with economy Value ticket class. Flying from Helsinki to any European city (excluding Malaga(20TP) and London(10TP)) grants me 5TP, which is 0,8% of OWS. With AY+, I’d get 2000 points, which is 2,5%of OWS. As a results, BAEC seems bad choice for me.

I have 2 J class flighst to LHR. Previously, HEL-LHR (BA) in discounted economy has granted me 457 AY+ points and full fare economy 1826 AY+ points. I guess I’d get around 1826*1,25 AY+ points from those flights, which is 2,8% of OWS. In comparison, I’d get 80TP in BAEC, which is 13% of OWS. Unfortunately, the first LHR J flight is before my tier point collection year ends.

Conclusion:
I feel that I’m wasting my flights in both AY+ and BAEC. If that is correct, could you please share your experience and recommend me a new FFP.
Old Jun 8, 2015, 12:56 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Hello Lauri_fly and welcome to the BA Flyertalk board.

Have you investigated the Finnair program? More information in their own forum.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/finna...nair-plus-636/
Old Jun 8, 2015, 10:27 pm
Original Poster

Thank you for your reply. Yes, I have. Should I still post the question in that forum?
Old Jun 9, 2015, 12:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by golfmad
Hello Lauri_fly and welcome to the BA Flyertalk board.

Have you investigated the Finnair program? More information in their own forum.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/finna...nair-plus-636/
The OP must have since they refer to calculations in AY+.

Originally Posted by Lauri_fly
Thank you for your reply. Yes, I have. Should I still post the question in that forum?
Welcome to FT, Lauri_fly. I suspect that you might get more informed answers on comparisons between BAEC and AY+ or more generally alternatives to AY+ for AY flyers on the AY board. While there is considerably less traffic on the AY board, most of those who post there are regular AY flyers and are more likely to have investigated the best FFPs for AY flyers. By contrast, rather few flyers on the BAEC board will have a flying pattern focused on AY. IIRC, there have been discussions in the past on the AY Board of the relative merits of AY+ and BAEC.
Old Jun 9, 2015, 2:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Lauri_fly Welcome to FT
AA is the default choice for many. Good earn/burn and nil/low awards surcharges unless on BA. But you need 4 AA flights for status

Lounge access comes from mid-high status or class of travel (business/first). Flying Y very hard to get.

Upgrades on the airline you are flying tend to only be with miles from that airlines FFP (there are some expensive exceptions).

Look and ask here http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/onewo...help-here.html

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Jun 9, 2015 at 3:14 am Reason: corrected 4 AA marketed flights. BA&QFhave the same 4 flight status rule
Old Jun 9, 2015, 3:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
But you need 2 AA flights for status
It's 4 segments (https://www.aa.com/elitebenefits), and it's of AA-marketed (codeshares OK) flights. Transatlantic BA flights sold as AA* codeshares qualify.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.