Oneworld Program for India Based Fliers

Old Apr 27, 18, 1:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriot Platinum
Oneworld Program for India Based Fliers

Is there any value to extract out of BA Executive Club. BA has One stop flights to most of the Tier-2 US cities I travel ( DEN, AUS etc). For work, I fly in Business Class, so I earn a good amount of miles with flying as well. Is there any good value out of BA EC redemption ( I see Intra US and some Intra UK flights as good options). Is there another Oneworld Program makes sense for India based flyers? I'm looking for some good redemptions for personal travel to South East Asia.

Ps. - I have a ton of Citi PM points as well - which can be transferred to top up redemptions.

PPS: Posting in IBA Forum as the question is specific to India based flyers.
Old Apr 27, 18, 1:44 pm

Programs: AA LT Plat
Originally Posted by Whizkid View Post
I'm looking for some good redemptions for personal travel to South East Asia.
If you are asking whether CX is in OW, yes it is.
Old Apr 27, 18, 1:49 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SeeBuyFly View Post
If you are asking whether CX is in OW, yes it is.
Thanks for the reply.

My question is more on any oneworld program which makes it a good value for India based fliers for crediting miles.

Also the sweet spots for redemption from India for Oneworld.
Old Apr 27, 18, 10:53 pm

Programs: Shangri-La Jade, Best Western Diamond, Hilton Gold
Here's a crazy and impractical idea, but worth putting it out there since you mentioned you are looking for intra-Asia redemptions.

BA's paid J fares earn handsomely on Alaska ( 'I' fare commonly found earns 250%).

So one DEL-LHR-DEN roundtrip could net you about 45k miles right off the bat.

You could then use those miles to book intra-Asia redemptions on JAL. Economy roundtrip costs 30k and Business roundtrip costs 50k.
One-way are allowed at half the price.

The caveat (or opportunity depending on how you look at it) is that you have to route through Japan, or more accurately, your first flight has to be DEL-NRT as that is the sole flight JAL has out of India.

On the upside, you can have a stopover in Japan even on one-way tickets.

As I said, this may not be for everyone, but worth a reminder to those who can benefit.
Old Apr 27, 18, 11:59 pm

Programs: Vistara Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold
JAL doesn't show up on the list of India-Asia redemption options though.
Old Apr 28, 18, 12:27 am

Programs: Shangri-La Jade, Best Western Diamond, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Anish View Post
JAL doesn't show up on the list of India-Asia redemption options though.
You have to search Asia-Asia region for that.

I've done this award twice last year in fact. Bookable online on Alaska website without even calling.
Old Apr 28, 18, 5:04 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, Marriott & SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, ShangriLa Jade, Enterprise Plat, Taj Gold
Interesting problem and tradeoffs to be made. So let us know what you finally go with.

Now here’s your challenge. The easiest and generally best place for redemption is generally any US airline (because of low/no YQ and generally low mileage requirements) - so from a pure redemption perspective I’d go with AA on OW.

The problem with doing that is 3 fold - BA credits miserly to AA and other programs - you can earn upto 250%-350% RDM on BA J. You earn about 125% on AA, CX etc. So half or less. The second problem is that Citi doesn’t transfer to AA. And finally you get screwed on the lounge access while traveling domestic in the US.

I wouldn’t credit to BA because while the earnings there are double or more... redemptions with them require significantly more miles - but not double. But then they have the dreaded YQ! And with BA it’s quite a lot of money.

The options then are CX, QR and QF.

I’d go with CX. Very decent redemption charts. Great airlines to fly with. And generally better award availablility for their own members as you’re only looking at SE Asia redemptions.

I have a more difficult question for you. Why BA in J? Even to get to some of the smaller cities in the US I’d prefer LH, LX, TK or even EY, EK, QR doing a 2 stop.
Old Apr 28, 18, 11:08 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PiperAtGatesofDawn View Post
I have a more difficult question for you. Why BA in J? Even to get to some of the smaller cities in the US I’d prefer LH, LX, TK or even EY, EK, QR doing a 2 stop.
Thanks Everyone for great insights.

Piper, BA flies direct to AUS & DEN (While LH Flies to DEN). Most of my trips are 4-7 days and ability to fly in in Directly without having to go thru TSA again in USA makes BA a better choice.

But I'm enjoying the Qatar QSuites in the current trip and I must say, Impressed ! Also the Free Hotel in DOH and Visa Entry makes it more attractive.
Old Apr 28, 18, 1:21 pm

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, Marriott & SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, ShangriLa Jade, Enterprise Plat, Taj Gold
Thanks Everyone for great insights.

Piper, BA flies direct to AUS & DEN (While LH Flies to DEN). Most of my trips are 4-7 days and ability to fly in in Directly without having to go thru TSA again in USA makes BA a better choice.

But I'm enjoying the Qatar QSuites in the current trip and I must say, Impressed ! Also the Free Hotel in DOH and Visa Entry makes it more attractive.
TSA is a 10 minute inconvinience. You’re on the flight for 16-18 hours. I’d choose comfort on the flight any day. Besides if you route on EK for instance you can do your customs and immigration in AUH. Saving you all that time in USA as well as not going through TSA again in the US depending on your connections.

My limited point is, as you’re currently experiencing... there are far far better options to fly to the US in J.

Oh... and how good is Al Mourjan!

Last edited by PiperAtGatesofDawn; Apr 28, 18 at 1:43 pm
Old Apr 29, 18, 8:01 am
Original Poster

Oh... and how good is Al Mourjan!
Great! Taking a break in the Sleeping Rooms now. I'm starting to love flying Qatar & connecting thru Doha.

Also found that in ORD, there is a Air side Transfer from T3 to T5 (Where all international Flights operate from), helping to skip TSA on the return journey.

And Thanks for the inputs.
Old Apr 29, 18, 1:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
I wouldn’t credit to BA because while the earnings there are double or more... redemptions with them require significantly more miles - but not double. But then they have the dreaded YQ! And with BA it’s quite a lot of money.
the dreaded yq is the main reason i stopped flying ba....i wouldn't credit to them as well....
Old Apr 30, 18, 8:42 am
Suspended

Programs: BA
Is there any value to extract out of BA Executive Club. BA has One stop flights to most of the Tier-2 US cities I travel ( DEN, AUS etc). For work, I fly in Business Class, so I earn a good amount of miles with flying as well. Is there any good value out of BA EC redemption ( I see Intra US and some Intra UK flights as good options). Is there another Oneworld Program makes sense for India based flyers? I'm looking for some good redemptions for personal travel to South East Asia.

Ps. - I have a ton of Citi PM points as well - which can be transferred to top up redemptions.

PPS: Posting in IBA Forum as the question is specific to India based flyers.
If you are mostly flying to USA and in paid business maybe American Airlines AAdvantage is the way to go. I mean if your flying J anyway the status benefits are going to be minimal (e.g. you mention flying QR and lounge access is class of service based for the AM and AS lounges) and out of India its not as if Oneworld Emerald or Sapphire is going to get you a better ground experience than flying J. Potentially if flying often to the USA (presumably on AA intra USA) having status would help with mileage earning and status benefits like dedicated phone lines, waitlist priority, etc in case of operational difficulties/flight problems. I think the AA award chart is one of the more decent options nowadays.
Old May 1, 18, 8:03 am

Programs: Marriots Platinum, Hhonors Diamond,EY Gold, Taj Gold, Frecacia Alata
Yes. credit miles into JAL. Best redemptions is JAL partner airlines . Delhi to Europe in business return using JAL miles flying partner airlines ( Qatar) cost 63000 JAL miles plus 4000 INR as taxes. We can also club family members in JAL , therefore good value addition.
Old May 8, 18, 7:19 am

Programs: AS MVP ; Free Agent Super Duper Diamond Treasure Chest ;)
Another vote for Alaska. 250% mileage on BA "I" fares is nothing to scoff at. 350% on higher Business class fares. You can redeem Alaska miles on Cathay, JAL and Singapore for South East Asia. At 60k OW in Business it is also a great redemption deal for IND-USA. 70k in First.

The downside is non-existent elite benefits on any partner airlines.

Last edited by knit-in; May 9, 18 at 7:38 am
Old May 8, 18, 8:38 pm

Programs: AA (current EXP, occasional PLT, 0MM); UA; DL
Don't let the tail wag the dog. Common sense suggests you should credit your miles to the airline that you fly the most. That would maximize your benefits in many tangible and intangible ways. If you make Emerald or Sapphire, you can get some benefits on other alliance partners too. So BA, QR, JL, CX, whichever one you fly the most for long-haul flights.

I agree that BA's J product is sub-par. I won't recommend AA's program these days: their miles are hard to use, and you won't get lounge access on their domestic network. Nevertheless, if you fly AA domestic a lot, then the possibility of upgrade would be a positive. So there are pros and cons to balance.

Last edited by aktchi; May 8, 18 at 8:50 pm

Search this Thread