Wiki Posts
Search

Which M&M to move to from LX in 2020?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6, 2019, 11:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Swiss Senator, Flying Blue Gold, BA EC Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Which M&M to move to from LX in 2020?

With the new system I’m seriously concerned about being able to keep my Senator status.

I’m based in Switzerland and typically do 10-12 trips to China (and sometimes the US) in J and a similar amount of Intra-Europe flights in Y, in line with company policy.

Unfortunately I have little control about being able to book Star Alliance consistently, we have pretty clear guidance to use the lowest cost J alternative, and from ZRH LX is really milking the non stops to PVG and PEK, LH and AUA are also quite pricey typically, so I often end up on QR, CX or AF instead.

If I understand the new system as well I’d need at least 5 trips to Asia plus some others to requalify for SEN.

Would you recommend switching to another M&M partner with easier access to SA Gold in my situation?

And would I benefit from my Senator advantages (still active until 2/21) while accumulating miles & status on another M&M partner?
Old Dec 7, 2019, 12:17 am

Programs: UA, TK, Starwood > Marriott, Hilton, Accor
You realize that the new system only kicks in in 2021, do you? So if you manage to requalify for SEN in 2020 under the current rules, your status will be valid for 2 more years (to 2/23).
chris63 and worldclubber like this.
Old Dec 7, 2019, 1:03 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by airoli
You realize that the new system only kicks in in 2021, do you? So if you manage to requalify for SEN in 2020 under the current rules, your status will be valid for 2 more years (to 2/23).
Actually I completely missed that point. Thanks for flagging.
chris63 likes this.
Old Dec 7, 2019, 2:47 am

Programs: 1 thousand
I know a lot of United MP members in Switzerland. Their system is also changing, but not that bad for getting Gold IMHO if you fly in J. Historically one of the better programs for redeeming miles flights too (no fuel surcharges and other BS like that), although they're getting a bit stingier.

The main catches are:
- You need 4 United-metal flights to qualify. That's not too hard out of ZRH with flights to EWR/IAD, from March also ORD (new year-round flight), and during the summer to SFO.
- High priced tickets on non-UA-metal gain more miles when purchased via UA, lower priced tickets gain more when purchased direct from LX/LH - so you need to evaluate flight purchases carefully. But idk if United will sell Europe->Asia tickets in the first place.

P and Z fares on LX/LH to China will still get you around 3000 qualifying points, other business fares get you around 4000 qualifying points - purchasing through UA you'll get points equal to USD spent on the ticket, so it's not too hard to figure out earning. You need 10'000 qualifying points to get United Gold (and hence Star Gold), so with 10-12 china trips in business you'll easily qualify, as long as you watch out for the 4-UA-segments requirement. (You could probably make 1k actually.)

You'll get less op-ups as UA*G flying LX/LH, but I have had a few both intra-europe and internationally from PE to business. And as 1k you'd get upgrade points that work on LH flights (but not LX), which you can also use for J->F.
Mozart0815 likes this.
Old Dec 7, 2019, 4:49 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by televisor
I know a lot of United MP members in Switzerland. Their system is also changing, but not that bad for getting Gold IMHO if you fly in J. Historically one of the better programs for redeeming miles flights too (no fuel surcharges and other BS like that), although they're getting a bit stingier.

The main catches are:
- You need 4 United-metal flights to qualify. That's not too hard out of ZRH with flights to EWR/IAD, from March also ORD (new year-round flight), and during the summer to SFO.
- High priced tickets on non-UA-metal gain more miles when purchased via UA, lower priced tickets gain more when purchased direct from LX/LH - so you need to evaluate flight purchases carefully. But idk if United will sell Europe->Asia tickets in the first place.

P and Z fares on LX/LH to China will still get you around 3000 qualifying points, other business fares get you around 4000 qualifying points - purchasing through UA you'll get points equal to USD spent on the ticket, so it's not too hard to figure out earning. You need 10'000 qualifying points to get United Gold (and hence Star Gold), so with 10-12 china trips in business you'll easily qualify, as long as you watch out for the 4-UA-segments requirement. (You could probably make 1k actually.)

You'll get less op-ups as UA*G flying LX/LH, but I have had a few both intra-europe and internationally from PE to business. And as 1k you'd get upgrade points that work on LH flights (but not LX), which you can also use for J->F.
In ten years as Senator I’ve had only two op ups, so it wouldn’t feel like I’m missing much. The 4UA flights are more of an issue.
Old Dec 7, 2019, 5:05 am

Programs: LH HON, AF Platinum
I was never upgraded as a SEN, but I flew business long haul and economy short haul back then. As *G was never upgraded anywhere, but did manage to clear a few GPUs and RPUs on routes like LAX-SFO and SAN-SFO, but had trouble clearing them in general.

I’ve been upgraded many times as HON.
Old Dec 7, 2019, 11:05 am

Programs: LH SEN *
I've been upgraded quite a few times as SEN, also on long hauls, including LX upgrade ZRH-BKK from cheap Economy W to Business, with a seat in B777 front section ^
Old Dec 7, 2019, 11:36 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by andywaw
I've been upgraded quite a few times as SEN, also on long hauls, including LX upgrade ZRH-BKK from cheap Economy W to Business, with a seat in B777 front section ^
I nearly always travel J in long hauls , and so far only had one upgrade to F, from Philly back to ZRH.

F upgrades really seem to be a last option only thing for LH/LX, and on top of that F isn’t available on all flights.

Still better than AF. I asked how one does get upgraded to La Première. The simple answer was: “Jamais, Monsieur”.
Old Dec 8, 2019, 9:41 am

Programs: 1 thousand
Originally Posted by Mozart0815
In ten years as Senator I’ve had only two op ups, so it wouldn’t feel like I’m missing much. The 4UA flights are more of an issue.
Indeed, 4 UA flights can be annoying to plan in. Depending on destination it can be fairly easy to get all 4 on a single booking though (wouldn't recommend going via EWR/IAD on the way to the west-coast, but everywhere else is reasonable).

Since you mentioned Philadelphia: that's currently got no good UA connections, but next year IAD-PHL is coming back allowing ZRH-IAD-PHL and vice-versa.
Old Dec 8, 2019, 11:25 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by televisor
Indeed, 4 UA flights can be annoying to plan in. Depending on destination it can be fairly easy to get all 4 on a single booking though (wouldn't recommend going via EWR/IAD on the way to the west-coast, but everywhere else is reasonable).

Since you mentioned Philadelphia: that's currently got no good UA connections, but next year IAD-PHL is coming back allowing ZRH-IAD-PHL and vice-versa.
Philly was a one off visiting a friend who was at Wharton at the time. Never been back since. Just the usual JFK/EWR, LAX and SFO with an occasional ORD.

Talking about no op ups: somebody must have read this thread, as the machine at boarding 5 min ago spit out a new seat on my LX TXL ZRH tonight, to, nicely enough, in C.

It’s been a while since my last experience of EU C on
LX, kind of curious what the experience will be on an A320.
Old Dec 8, 2019, 11:39 am

Programs: LH HON, AF Platinum
For all flights that could have been upgraded this year as HON, I received an op-up on a strong majority of them.
Old Dec 14, 2019, 4:34 am
Original Poster

Somebody must really have read this thread.

After no signifikant op ups in several years, I got bumped up on a ZRH TXL from Y to C last weekend. and now am
enjoying my Grand Siècle after a bump up to F/1A on a ZRH PEK. Thanks LX!
Old Dec 14, 2019, 5:57 am

Programs: LH -- HON Circle **, IHG Spire Elite, Hilton Diamond, 1865 Voyager
Originally Posted by sophialite
I was never upgraded as a SEN, but I flew business long haul and economy short haul back then. As *G was never upgraded anywhere, but did manage to clear a few GPUs and RPUs on routes like LAX-SFO and SAN-SFO, but had trouble clearing them in general.

I’ve been upgraded many times as HON.
During my relatively long SEN-hood (12 years) I was op-uped C->F I think 3 times on LH flights, Y->C intra EU around 10 times on LH, once Y->C on TK and once Y->C on SK.

Until now no upgrades as HON, but actually it was actually not possible as well I anyway had ticket for highest cabin.
But trusting that you opup luck as HON is so high, maybe will try next year. As this year I finished my flights 2 days ago. Was this year on 100 LH Group flights.
To celebrate it, got on last flight present from cabin crew before landing
Old Dec 14, 2019, 6:28 am

Programs: LH M+M
Switched to Eurobonus (SAS), (still) mileage based status (yearly, but "only" 45,000) and lifetime after 10y (no further strings).
Just check with carriers you typically fly and check if and how much it'd earn: https://www.flysas.com/en/eurobonus/earn-points/

PS: one C->F upgrade in 2y SEN.
Old Dec 14, 2019, 10:00 am

Programs: LH M&M, BA EC, DL SM
Originally Posted by PAX_fips
Switched to Eurobonus (SAS), (still) mileage based status (yearly, but "only" 45,000) and lifetime after 10y (no further strings).
Just check with carriers you typically fly and check if and how much it'd earn: https://www.flysas.com/en/eurobonus/earn-points/
I have taken a quick look at EB because of the LT *G after 10 years.

Doesn't look too bad, but strange that they give only 200 percent miles/points for LX F and 300 for LH F. And the question whether SAS will still be there in its current form in 10 years and beyond?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.