Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

How does Asia miles compare to Kris flyer and Royal orchid

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 22, 2019, 12:37 pm
Original Poster

How does Asia miles compare to Kris flyer or Royal orchid.
The tickets on Thai seem to be cheaper than Cathay.
Singapore seems to be the most expensive.
Old Nov 23, 2019, 6:02 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Required miles is one factor

How do you earn miles?
If by flying, how much can you earn from each program in a year on your existing flying?
If by credit card spending, what are your earn rates per HK$/THB/S$?

Also each program has different availability
Just because a program requires a minimum of x miles, it does not mean it will readily make seats available for that few miles
You should enrol into each program (you won't get a welcome offer for enrolment anyway) and test redemptions for various dates and routes you might wish to fly in the future to get a feel of availability.

Finally where do you live? Hong Kong? Bangkok? Singapore? US?
Due to availability, you will find your home town program to have an availability advantage (e.g. on Krisflyer you can't find Singapore-Paris, you may accept Singapore-London. With Hong Kong on Krisflyer you may be restrained by having to fly to Singapore first and then trying to work a connection that works.
If not in HK/SG/TH, you might earn on a universal currency like Ultimate Rewards then convert into each FFP if and when availability is available.

Last edited by percysmith; Nov 24, 2019 at 5:44 pm
Old Nov 24, 2019, 4:25 pm
Original Poster

I am based in US. I do have accounts with all 3, but redeemed only asia miles. I haven't earned enough miles on the other two.

I was hoping instead of testing redemptions, the members could share their experience.
Old Nov 24, 2019, 4:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hithesh123
How does Asia Miles compare to Kris Flyer or Royal Orchid.
The tickets on Thai seem to be cheaper than Cathay.
Singapore seems to be the most expensive.
I am based in US. I do have accounts with all 3, but redeemed only Asia Miles. I haven't earned enough miles on the other two.

I was hoping instead of testing redemptions, the members could share their experience.
Thai TG & Singapore SQ are both Star Alliance, so you can earn & burn on the other, subject to the t&c's. Can be a waste to have ff miles in both, where you may not get enough ff miles to use before they expire.
https://flights.staralliance.com/en/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Alliance

Which Frequent Flyer Program to Join? Help Is Here!

Another thread by OP Good miles program?
Old Nov 24, 2019, 7:56 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Krisflyer: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/sing...rds-clear.html

Asia Miles: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cath...ad-2019-a.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.