Wiki Posts
Search

UA 1K Switching over

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19, 2019, 5:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE, UA PLAT, EK GOLD, Hilton Diamond
UA 1K Switching over

As title suggests, switching over from 1k to AC...in terms of spend, if I book with other *A carriers, how will that calculate in terms of AQD?
Thank you.
Old Nov 19, 2019, 5:30 pm

Programs: AC-SEMM, AA-Gold
It will not count
Old Nov 19, 2019, 5:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by Wings100
It will not count
lol that was quick

back to the drawing board for OP.
Wings100, SPG_Fan, gcashin and 1 others like this.
Old Nov 19, 2019, 5:35 pm
Suspended

Programs: ,united 1k, AA EXP, HH Diamond,BA gold, Hyatt globalist
Originally Posted by rankourabu
lol that was quick

back to the drawing board for OP.
He should get half off AQD though correct
Old Nov 19, 2019, 5:40 pm

Programs: AC 75K
Originally Posted by united 1k flyer
He should get half off AQD though correct
Only if they aren't based in Canada. According to their profile, they're in Canada so full AQD is required.

OP: AQD is awarded on the following.
  • Flights operated by Air Canada, Air Canada Express and Air Canada RougeTM.
  • Flights operated by Star AllianceTM member airlines ticketed on Air Canada ticket stock (ticket numbers beginning with “014”).
Old Nov 19, 2019, 5:44 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by M Singh
As title suggests, switching over from 1k to AC...in terms of spend, if I book with other *A carriers, how will that calculate in terms of AQD?
Thank you.
@M Singh

Welcome to AC FT. Bit of a zoo here but otherwise, help is available.

You might want to read this overview page from Altitude

https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...m-updates.html
Old Nov 19, 2019, 5:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE, UA PLAT, EK GOLD, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ChrisA330
Only if they aren't based in Canada. According to their profile, they're in Canada so full AQD is required.

OP: AQD is awarded on the following.
  • Flights operated by Air Canada, Air Canada Express and Air Canada RougeTM.
  • Flights operated by Star AllianceTM member airlines ticketed on Air Canada ticket stock (ticket numbers beginning with “014”).
Ok, so if I were to buy business class tickets (P, C, or J) from an OTA on AC, they would count for AQD? I ask as there are better deals on AC metal out there, rather than on AC.com
Old Nov 19, 2019, 5:52 pm

Ok, so if I were to buy business class tickets (P, C, or J) from an OTA on AC, they would count for AQD? I ask as there are better deals on AC metal out there, rather than on AC.com
Yes, any flights from OTA should count if on AC metal. There may be some exceptions if the OTA somehow has access to some bulk fares where cheap fares may have been negotiated which forego the collection of miles. Search for a thread on tickets booked through RBC Avion for an example of what I'm talking about (although that is a reward program so not exactly an "OTA").

If you can find a way for your travel on other *A airlines to be booked via AC, those charges will also be eligible for AQD.
Old Nov 19, 2019, 6:11 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Marriott Titanium
Deleting as it was incorrect information

Last edited by YVRtoYYZ; Nov 19, 2019 at 7:43 pm
Old Nov 19, 2019, 6:13 pm

Programs: AC 75K
Originally Posted by YVRtoYYZ
It has to be on 014 ticket stock to count towards AQD. I could book 016 ticket stock but still sit on AC metal and it would not count towards AQD.

MM is more restrictive as it has to be both 014 and AC metal in order for AQM to contribute to MM accumulation.
Don't all AC flights regardless of ticket stock qualify for AQD? Even if it's a UA codeshare on AC metal, that would count.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Nov 19, 2019, 6:20 pm

Programs: AC SEMM / HH Diamond
Originally Posted by ChrisA330
Don't all AC flights regardless of ticket stock qualify for AQD? Even if it's a UA codeshare on AC metal, that would count.
Yes, that's my understanding too.

The page that 24left linked (https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...m-updates.html) is pretty clear.
Old Nov 19, 2019, 6:33 pm

Originally Posted by YVRtoYYZ
It has to be on 014 ticket stock to count towards AQD. I could book 016 ticket stock but still sit on AC metal and it would not count towards AQD.

MM is more restrictive as it has to be both 014 and AC metal in order for AQM to contribute to MM accumulation.
Incorrect. AQD is credited for AC metal regardless of ticket stock. Same thing for AQM, which in turn counts towards MM accumulation.

AFAIK this is based on AC having visibility to the fare paid for any flight on its metal. It also has visibility to the fare paid for any flight on other/partner airlines on AC's stock. It does not have visibility to the fare paid to other airlines/partners, on other airlines/partners stock, which is why those flights don't count for AQD, but there is a system in place for earning AQM/AQS on partner flights.
canadiancow and Wings100 like this.
Old Nov 19, 2019, 6:57 pm
RZR

Programs: ✈ AC 1MM / S100K - SPG Lifetime Platinum = BONVoY Lifetime Titanium
ALL " AC METAL" FLIGHTS , get AQD , regardless of point of purchase or ticket stock
canadiancow likes this.
Old Nov 19, 2019, 7:02 pm

Programs: AC SE*MM, Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Gold, National EE, Sixt Plat, Hz 5*
All AC metal flights and all 014 stock tickets on *A earn AQD (unless they aren't a fare class that earns aqm). Any corrections?
canadiancow and monkai like this.
Old Nov 19, 2019, 7:31 pm

Programs: M-Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Aeroplan 50K, DragonPass, AMEX MR, NEXUS
Welcome to the good side (if you decide to join lol), but in all honesty, AC is pretty awesome. Minus a *few* issues that people encounter every now and again...

Plus our FT forum is simply the best, I think all other members will agree with me on that one.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.