Wiki Posts
Search

Status match and who to credit to?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2022, 1:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
Status match and who to credit to?

ATL hub captive, looking to escape. May move down to TPA in a year or 2. But for now have an upcoming flight JFK-SIN-HKT-SIN-JFK in PE. Booked on SQ.

Have 0 status with either UA or SQ (though did have G* years ago via BR)

I assume I should credit to UA vs SQ?

If I status match there is no way I can maintain it. Is it worth it for just the value on a single flight?
Old Jun 4, 2022, 1:11 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
in the next few years, who will you fly the most?

What are you looking for with status?
Such as, UA status will give E+ access, SQ *G status (very hard to get) with give you UC access

Best to study the SQ requirements and status earning -- unless you are in business all the time, it is a difficult task

What dtatus do you have with any airline? needed for a challenge
Old Jun 4, 2022, 1:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
Thanks Wine.

I fly on my on dime, and cheap. I fly to Asia a good bit (well, pre-Covid) and *A beats ST by a mile on this today. As I start flying these again, ST will not work.

I suspect the status match is pointless, but I still am undecided where to credit miles to.
Old Jun 4, 2022, 1:47 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by exwannabe
... I suspect the status match is pointless, but I still am undecided where to credit miles to.
Unless you can achieve SQ *G or want to get SQ long hual premium cabin awards, suspect UA is better for deep discount flyer
jsloan and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Jun 4, 2022, 1:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Credit to AS. Easier to earn status and overall a better airline to fly with than both DL and UA.
Kacee likes this.
Old Jun 4, 2022, 1:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Repooc17
Credit to AS. Easier to earn status and overall a better airline to fly with than both DL and UA.
AS is probably the hardest airline to earn status with due to the AS-metal segment requirements and their extremely limited network.

OP is based in ATL. AS operates exactly one flight to/from ATL. OP would have to connect through Seattle for every single trip. From Atlanta. That's convenient...
Bradhattan, SPN Lifer and hhdl like this.

Last edited by VegasGambler; Jun 4, 2022 at 2:03 pm
Old Jun 4, 2022, 1:53 pm

Originally Posted by Repooc17
Not the strongest suggestion for SE USA based flyer or for getting to Asia unless your are doing most of your flying on AA / OW
Old Jun 4, 2022, 1:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

ATL hub captive, looking to escape. May move down to TPA in a year or 2. But for now have an upcoming flight JFK-SIN-HKT-SIN-JFK in PE. Booked on SQ.

Have 0 status with either UA or SQ (though did have G* years ago via BR)

I assume I should credit to UA vs SQ?

If I status match there is no way I can maintain it. Is it worth it for just the value on a single flight?
Both UA and SQ will give you the same number of redeemable miles for that trip (although that's not generally true, it happens to be true in this case). If you got a status match to UA Gold (from DL Plat?), you might receive lounge access at SIN; it depends upon how UA codes it into their system. You may disqualify yourself from another status match in the future when you'd actually be able to maintain it, however. You would not get any additional redeemable miles from status on this trip.

UA and SQ aren't always the best of friends, and you don't get a ton of Premier Qualifying Points on an SQ trip. You'd get 1202 PQP and 4 PQF for that trip, which would be about 40% of the points you'd need for Silver status. (You also need four UA-operated segments to get any status level, excluding a status match / challenge scenario).

In general, your best bet is to consolidate miles & status on the airline you plan to fly the most. If you think that's SQ, then you should probably credit to SQ. If you think that's more likely to be UA, then you should probably credit to UA.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jun 4, 2022, 4:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
SQ KrisFlyer miles are considerably easier to obtain through credit card spend than UA miles, which you can only get from Chase or Marriott. KF is a transfer partner of pretty much every card issuer.
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
AS is probably the hardest airline to earn status with due to the AS-metal segment requirements and their extremely limited network.
That's quite an overgeneralization. It would likely be difficult for OP based at ATL/TPA, but if you are within reach of AS's route network, it's considerably easier to achieve 75K than 1K, Diamond, or EXP (not counting those who are gaming LPs with hotel, credit card spend, etc.).
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
SQ *G status (very hard to get)
You are probably thinking of PPS, which has a spend requirement. *G is not that hard. Certainly easier than UA, as there are fare class bonuses and no spend requirement.
Old Jun 4, 2022, 5:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kacee
That's quite an overgeneralization. It would likely be difficult for OP based at ATL/TPA, but if you are within reach of AS's route network,
Which basically means, if you live on the west coast and/or only travel to the west coast.

it's considerably easier to achieve 75K than 1K, Diamond, or EXP
Complaring 75k to 1K, Diamond, or EXP is hardly fair. 2nd level status is supposed to be easier than top tier. I would argue that Diamond is easier than AS 100k. EXP is far easier. UA is an outlier, clearly heavily geared towards business travel almost to the point of excluding everyone else, though UA Platinum is still probably easier than AS 75k for the leisure traveler (this year anyway -- next year may be a different story).

My plan next year is to dump UA as my secondary carrier and go with DL (I was essentially forced to dump AS as my primary when I moved from SFO to PHX). AA will be my primary (EXP is easy) and I'll status match to DL. Whether I move up to Diamond or hang around at Platinum remains to be seen, but Platinum looks easy to maintain which should be fine)

Anyway, this is all irrelevant. OP is in Atlanta, giving them exactly one AS flight (to Seattle) and a segment requirement that they have no realistic hope of reaching unless they happen to need to visit Seattle every month. If they lived in Seattle I would say that accruing to AS would be a great choice.

(not counting those who are gaming LPs with hotel, credit card spend, etc.).
"Gaming" in this case means doing exactly what the airline asks you to do (literally, when on hold, they advertise all all the great ways to earn status without flying) They push their hotel booking engine at you constantly (you can't book a flight without them trying to get you to book a hotel through it); using it is hardly "gaming the system". It's "using the system as advertised, designed, and intended".
SPN Lifer and hhdl like this.
Old Jun 4, 2022, 5:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
...If I status match there is no way I can maintain it. Is it worth it for just the value on a single flight?
You'll blow option for future status match/challenge at UA for *G benefits on one itinerary. I think for 5 years? You never know what the future brings....
Old Jun 4, 2022, 5:59 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Also not thinking it’s worth the status match at this time and with somewhat uncertain plans you might as well credit redeemable miles to United since they will not expire anymore
Old Jun 4, 2022, 6:06 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
SQ *G status (very hard to get)
You are probably thinking of PPS, which has a spend requirement. *G is not that hard. Certainly easier than UA, as there are fare class bonuses and no spend requirement.
I should have completed the sentence so there was better context --
"SQ *G status (very hard to get) for the deep discount flyer"

There are fare bonus for the premier cabins but low multiplier (50% & 25%) for the discount fares. Granted UA isn't easy for the discount flyer either
So at least 100,000 miles for SQ *G, while UA *G for that mileage is 6 cpm a pretty rock bottom fare nowadays. ($300 RT Transcons)
So will depend on what routes / cabin you are flying which is easier.
Old Jun 5, 2022, 4:18 am

Programs: DL PM, OZ Diamond Plus, BA Silver
Somewhat unorthodox suggestion but if you expect another PE trip to Asia at some point within the next year or so and want a non-UA *G (i.e. lounge access instead of E+) I might credit to OZ — 40k miles in 24 months to get to *G and your JFK-SIN-HKT trip already gets you 50% of the way there. Of course same caveat around deep discount economy fares applies, but most discounted PE fares are 100%. And of course there is a risk that KE pulls OZ out of *A after the acquisition is complete, but who knows when that will be.

Alternatively SQ PE also earns 100% on TK, which requires 40k miles in 12 months for *G, so that might also be an option depending on your flying patterns.
Old Jun 5, 2022, 7:09 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
Complaring 75k to 1K, Diamond, or EXP is hardly fair.
You're right - 75K is so much better. I'm 100% on upgrades in '22 as a 75K. I think I missed one in '21. 75K also gets you top tier OW status (Emerald) and upgrades and MCE on AA.
I should have completed the sentence so there was better context --
"SQ *G status (very hard to get) for the deep discount flyer"
Considering that OP holds a PE ticket on SQ, not sure how relevant that is. Two RTs in PE from US to SE Asia will get you very close to KF Gold threshold of 50k elite miles in any rolling 12 month period. (The JFK-SIN-HKT RT itinerary will earn either 20k or 25k miles, depending on fare class.)
SPN Lifer likes this.

Last edited by Kacee; Jun 5, 2022 at 7:22 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.