Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Status Match with AA?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29, 2014, 2:27 pm
Original Poster

Status Match with AA?

Hi. Have any Diamonds or Plats inquired about switching to AA? If so, were you offered a status match or status challenge?
Old Dec 29, 2014, 2:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
If you check the AA forum, the standard seems to be allowing you to pay for a challenge to AA Plat (50,000 status miles intermediate tier) based on EQP (not EQM) in 90 days or three months.

An alternative might be to seek a status match or challenge on US and then have AA status when the programs merge but enjoy cross benefits in the meantime (or at least after the challenge is satisfied).
Old Dec 29, 2014, 2:39 pm

Programs: DL PM, DL MM
I tried this a few months ago and got a big NO.

Had to go the challenge route. I had a flight to the UK in business scheduled so banged out the 10,000 EQP in one round trip, so wasn't a big deal. Paying $200 wasn't great.

Also, note that NONE of the flying you do until you hit PLT will count towards your Sticker Accruals
Old Dec 29, 2014, 4:09 pm

Programs: Delta PM, United Silver, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by kelvinj
Hi. Have any Diamonds or Plats inquired about switching to AA? If so, were you offered a status match or status challenge?
I am a just a Silver. Today I sent a message off to AA to see if they have a Status Match. If I hear something I will let you know. Based on some other people its not likely to happen. I also applied for UA status match. By shifting to either Airline instead of Delta I will be Platinum or higher because of Segments.

Also US Air isnt offering Status Match as they are completing the Merger with AA.

http://www.usairways.com/en-US/divid...rred.html?re=1
Old Dec 29, 2014, 5:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
Originally Posted by BigDawg23
I am a just a Silver. Today I sent a message off to AA to see if they have a Status Match. If I hear something I will let you know. Based on some other people its not likely to happen. I also applied for UA status match. By shifting to either Airline instead of Delta I will be Platinum or higher because of Segments.

Also US Air isnt offering Status Match as they are completing the Merger with AA.

http://www.usairways.com/en-US/divid...rred.html?re=1
AA only offers a status challenge vice a match as seen elsewhere.
Old Dec 29, 2014, 7:13 pm

Programs: Delta PM, United Silver, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by rwoman
AA only offers a status challenge vice a match as seen elsewhere.
I am fine with a challenge match assumInc it means you need X number of segements or miles in 90 days to get the status. The United one I applied for is on the site, which is 8 segements in 90 days to Silver. Since all my flights will require a trip through ORD I would complete it in two weeks in January with trips being planned and soon to book.
Old Dec 29, 2014, 8:04 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by BigDawg23
I am fine with a challenge match assumInc it means you need X number of segements or miles in 90 days to get the status.
The AA challenge doesn't involve either of those. It's based on points which are not the same as miles. You can read more about it here:
http://flyerguide.com/Challenge_(AA))
Old Dec 29, 2014, 9:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by tom911
The AA challenge doesn't involve either of those. It's based on points which are not the same as miles. You can read more about it here:
http://flyerguide.com/Challenge_(AA))
Yeah, that's what I said above. Also usually people must pay to take the challenge.

More importantly, OP and others should understand the AA points versus miles (or segments) system before considering a status challenge to AA.
Old Dec 29, 2014, 9:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tom911
The AA challenge doesn't involve either of those. It's based on points which are not the same as miles.
You can read more about it here:http://flyerguide.com/Challenge_(AA))
And here http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...-platinum.html

This question has been asked many times before, as links in post 3 http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/infor...help-here.html
Old Dec 30, 2014, 7:28 am

Programs: DL Diamond Million Miler, AA Ex-Plat, IHG RA, Marriott PLAT, HERTZ Pres Circle
I did it last year and ended up with DM on Delta and ExPlat on AA by the end of the year. This year, I qualified for DM on Delta by June then switched to AA to finish the ExPlat. Not sure if I will be able to double up this year, but AA does offer challenges, so if you have alot of travel that is logical on AA, a challenge is a good idea. I started my challenge right before a trip to Korea (new service at the time from DFW), and another trip to Canada. for me it was easy, just because of the Korea trip. The SWUs that ExPlats get are great and easy to use. I haven't tried any of the new Delta SWUs because the AA's are so easy to use.

randidliyo
Old Jan 1, 2015, 8:16 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, AA EXP
Just thought I'd share my experience with the Status Challenge with AA...

The Skymiles program changes for 2015 are too much for me, so I decided to give AA a shot. I've been 100% loyal to DL/ST for the past 8 years (except for a couple of Air Berlin flights in Europe), so I was very curious to try out another airline.

I did the Platinum Challenge and was charged the $200. And, after doing a Caribbean itinerary from the West Coast with Economy on the outbound and F/J on the return, I just need 1,000 more EQPs to complete the challenge which will be a piece of cake with my end date in March.

I have to say, I really enjoyed the ride on AA and was glad I got a taste of both economy and first. I was lucky enough to score a brand new 738 from MIA to ORD...wow!...IMO far superior to anything Delta has going in their fleet. Great seats (pleather not cloth) and very nice IFE setup. Also, the F meal service was much nicer and much more tasty than anything I've had on DL domestic F including BE JFK-LAX.

I'm a little bummed to be leaving DL because I have my routines down with them and their hubs, but after this first trip, I'm looking forward to more travel with AA!
Old Jan 2, 2015, 1:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ridepow

I have to say, I really enjoyed the ride on AA and was glad I got a taste of both economy and first. I was lucky enough to score a brand new 738 from MIA to ORD...wow!...IMO far superior to anything Delta has going in their fleet. Great seats (pleather not cloth) and very nice IFE setup.
IME, seat pitch on AA is much better. However, I'm pretty sure AA has cloth seats vice pleather...?
Old Jan 2, 2015, 11:48 am

Programs: DL Platinum, AA EXP
Originally Posted by rwoman
IME, seat pitch on AA is much better. However, I'm pretty sure AA has cloth seats vice pleather...?
The new 738 aircraft had grey pleather, not cloth. Very nice seat! Agree, the pitch on AA seemed much better and I thought the seats were more comfortable and easier to sleep in than DL F seats.
Old Jan 13, 2015, 8:55 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
I'm on the verge of being totally done with USdbaAA and discount dougie......what's the latest on status matches from AA EXP to DLDM? Last I remember DL is only matching to PM and with a MQD/MQM requirement......any updates would be great to know. I tend to do better on MQD versus MQM as I pay for FC on Delta.
Old Jan 14, 2015, 12:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AANYC1981
I'm on the verge of being totally done with USdbaAA and discount dougie......what's the latest on status matches from AA EXP to DLDM? Last I remember DL is only matching to PM and with a MQD/MQM requirement......any updates would be great to know. I tend to do better on MQD versus MQM as I pay for FC on Delta.
AFAIK, DL will only match you OP DL Platinum Medallion. You have to earn sufficient MQMs or Segments to qualify. MQD is an addition requirement but you cannot earn DL status via MQD alone as you can with points in AA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.