Wiki Posts
Search

Stockpile AM or AA?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2014, 11:04 pm
Original Poster

Stockpile AM or AA?

Hello,

I have a question: would it be better to stockpile Asia Miles or AA miles? My main usage is to fly business or first on US - east asia route (the hub in US can by anywhere).

The reason I'm asking is that I'm about to have a few really big spending in the next few months, which I can charge them using AAdvantage citi card, or Amex SPG which then gets me Asia miles. If I use citi cards, I get some miles back when I use them I think, but SPG offers 25% transfer bonus.

The downside of stockpiling asia miles is that it's usually only good on CX flights, whereas Aa can be redeemed for JAL flights.

Award space wise, I know whatever's available on CX is also available for AA, but is it true without exception? (say if there are 3 award seats left, does CX only sell 2 to OW partners or do they sell all 3?)

Thanks
Old Mar 19, 2014, 11:17 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by nyold
Hello,

I have a question: would it be better to stockpile Asia Miles or AA miles? My main usage is to fly business or first on US - east asia route (the hub in US can by anywhere).

The reason I'm asking is that I'm about to have a few really big spending in the next few months, which I can charge them using AAdvantage citi card, or Amex SPG which then gets me Asia miles. If I use citi cards, I get some miles back when I use them I think, but SPG offers 25% transfer bonus.

The downside of stockpiling asia miles is that it's usually only good on CX flights, whereas Aa can be redeemed for JAL flights.

Award space wise, I know whatever's available on CX is also available for AA, but is it true without exception? (say if there are 3 award seats left, does CX only sell 2 to OW partners or do they sell all 3?)

Thanks
I'd say AA. YQ advantages would trumps everything
Old Mar 19, 2014, 11:38 pm

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
Asia Miles can be redeemed on all Asia Miles partners, including AA and JL. Asia Miles can be used to upgrade on AA flights, but AA miles cannot be used to upgrade CX flights.

If you are talking about long haul J awards, it is rare that you can see more than two awards on the same flight in any inventory, regardless of the programme. Asia Miles does have a slight advantage as you can waitlist on CX awards using Asia Miles.
Old Mar 20, 2014, 4:41 am

Programs: OW Emerald
I would charge the upcoming big purchases on the SPG Amex. The key reasons is the 25% transfer bonus when transferring in 20k lots and flexibility since you can transfer to both Asia Miles and American Airlines.

Right now the AA flight redemption levels are a better deal than Asia Miles (miles and fuel surcharge wise) but rumor has it there is a big AAdvantage devaluation coming down the pipeline once AA/USair finishes their merger. Thus, if the AA miles are really devalued in the near future, you can always transfer the SPG points to Asia Miles and use them there.
Old Mar 20, 2014, 8:19 am
formerly gemini573

Programs: CX Emerald, WOH Globalist, Marriott Platinum, AA Lifetime Platinum, Virtuoso, Prive, STEPS, STARS
If you're doing most of your flying on CX, I would bank it towards Asia Miles. The fact that you can upgrade with miles and have priority with op up over other OW members is a big advantage over AA.

I had my flights credited before with AA in the past. Yes, the redemption rates and taxes are much lower than Asia Miles. As echoed from one of the posters above, I foresee a major devaluation.
Old Mar 20, 2014, 11:07 am

I think the first important question is: are you getting the same amount of Asiamiles or AA miles for the same amount of spending?
Old Mar 20, 2014, 5:49 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by LchChester
I think the first important question is: are you getting the same amount of Asiamiles or AA miles for the same amount of spending?
With SPG Amex OP is effectively earning 1.25 mile/$ on both AA and AM

But with Chase Sapphire Preferred he can earn up to 2 mile/$ on certain categories?
Old Mar 20, 2014, 10:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by percysmith
With SPG Amex OP is effectively earning 1.25 mile/$ on both AA and AM

But with Chase Sapphire Preferred he can earn up to 2 mile/$ on certain categories?
Yeah I won't get the 2% bonus from restaurants and travel, so I guess SPG is my best bet, and transfer when necessary.

Right now I'm leaning towards AM simply because its ability to waitlist and op up, but that means I won't be able to buy JL one way in J or F, unlike if I had done AA. Oh well =\
Old Mar 21, 2014, 12:00 am

Yeah I won't get the 2% bonus from restaurants and travel, so I guess SPG is my best bet, and transfer when necessary.

Right now I'm leaning towards AM simply because its ability to waitlist and op up, but that means I won't be able to buy JL one way in J or F, unlike if I had done AA. Oh well =\
I think CX has access to the same inventory pool to JL as AA... perhaps you should check which program requires less miles for the route in your mind.

Btw, JL charges very expensive YQ... $300+ for oneway, so it is likely that you are better off with AA.
Old Mar 21, 2014, 2:10 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
I think CX has access to the same inventory pool to JL as AA... perhaps you should check which program requires less miles for the route in your mind.

Btw, JL charges very expensive YQ... $300+ for oneway, so it is likely that you are better off with AA.
674USD TPAC and 713USD Aus-Japan (QF: 476USD) http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/catha...l#post22555356

JL must have really screwed up their fuel hedging...

Last edited by percysmith; Mar 21, 2014 at 2:17 am
Old Mar 21, 2014, 10:16 am
Original Poster

The inventory might be the same but CX doesn't allow one way for JL:
https://www.asiamiles.com/am/en/redeem/charts
Old Mar 22, 2014, 2:23 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
SPG points can also transfer for BA Avios which are a great value for shorter redemptions on CX, such as HKG-NRT, HKG-ICN, etc., due to the distance-based pricing. One-ways allowed and no close-in booking fees.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.