Moving to AMS...go with BA?

Old Nov 3, 18, 12:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Gold
Moving to AMS...go with BA?

Hi there,

Mrs. Youngtraveldude and I will be relocating to Amsterdam from Boston in January. We've both been frequent travelers with AA for years and I've been Executive Platinum for 3 years now and my wife is currently Platinum Pro (I have 600K million miler miles with AA). Naturally, an important decision as part of the move is which airline to go with. KLM/Flying Blue would be the obvious choice but also thought BA might be an option. I'll definitely be traveling a decent amount for work in my new role, both across Europe, and probably the occasional Asia and Australia trip. And then I'm sure my wife and I will go to the US a few times a year plus our person travels will probably take us all over Europe and further.

So, should we take the 'obvious' choice and become KLM/Flying Blue people? Or is it worth it to take the inconvenience of the constant hop to/from London to go with BA and stick with One World? Even if we went with BA, we'd try to maximize the train system in Western Europe and I'd still probably do KLM for short hops in Western Europe to avoid the connecting in London.

Thanks in advance for your input.
Old Nov 3, 18, 12:01 pm

Havenít you posted this same Q in another thread somewhere?
dodgeflyer likes this.
Old Nov 3, 18, 12:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Ldnn1 View Post
Havenít you posted this same Q in another thread somewhere?
Yes, in the AA forum. Figured I'd get a different group of opinions here.....is that not kosher with Flyertalk 'rules?'
Old Nov 3, 18, 12:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC/IB
Few airports better than AMS for the ability to fly direct. So Flying Blue makes sense to me.
Old Nov 3, 18, 12:23 pm

Programs: BA, Hilton
Originally Posted by Youngtraveldude View Post
Yes, in the AA forum. Figured I'd get a different group of opinions here.....is that not kosher with Flyertalk 'rules?'
As it happens, no.
​​​​​​https://www.flyertalk.com/help/rules.php#crossposting

Catches people out I suspect....
Old Nov 3, 18, 12:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Check your (new) employer's travel policy. They might require KLM or might require LCCs.

BTW, don't expect a status match from AA to BA as they're in the same alliance, although of course you could probably fly mostly BA and continue to credit to AA if it makes sense in your situation.

Also, if you pick KLM, you might want to do your FF account through DL or another partner rather than FB, so check the rules carefully.
Old Nov 3, 18, 12:34 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BertieBadger View Post
As it happens, no.
​​​​​​https://www.flyertalk.com/help/rules.php#crossposting

Catches people out I suspect....
Ok....this can be closed/deleted then I just can't figure out how to do that.
Old Nov 3, 18, 12:36 pm

Programs: BA, Hilton
Ok....this can be closed/deleted then I just can't figure out how to do that.
Hit the triangle to alert a moderator. They can close it, you're allowed a link to whichever thread you want to keep open.
Old Nov 3, 18, 12:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Ldnn1 View Post
Haven’t you posted this same Q in another thread somewhere?
Here--> Switch to BA or Delta/KLM

Staying with AA ffp may be better than the BA ffp.
Depends on the time will be living in AMS, flying pattern & objectives from a ffp.

Be mindful of expiry Miles/Points that Do and Don't Expire. Click to open the wiki.

The grass in not always greener on the other side
Old Nov 3, 18, 1:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi View Post
Here--> Switch to BA or Delta/KLM

Staying with AA ffp may be better than the BA ffp.
Depends on the time will be living in AMS, flying pattern & objectives from a ffp.

Be mindful of expiry [COLOR=&quot] Miles/Points that Do and Don't Expire[/COLOR]. Click to open the wiki.

The grass in not always [COLOR=&quot]greener[/COLOR] on the other side
But AMS has lots of green around those long long long taxiways leading to the runways built on land reclaimed from the North Sea. It's much greener than BOS.....

Now, as for the *grass* available in Amsterdam........
cruisr, plunet and squawk like this.
Old Nov 3, 18, 2:46 pm

Programs: BAEC, Accor
Depends on the OPs objectives and their flying patterns.

if the purpose is to get where they want to on a direct flight KL/AF and Flying blue is the obvious choice.

If sticking with OneWorld and going with indirect routes with BA and AA or even AY and the lower and sometimes very good indirect fares often available with BA from AMS then BA is probably a good choice. Whether you credit to BA or AA is another question that others are better qualified to debate
debate.
Old Nov 3, 18, 2:50 pm
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: BAEC Gold, UAMP Silver, HH Silver, IHG Gold Elite, Sixt Gold
A friend of mine (BA Gold) just moved to AMS and is in the same situation.

It obviously depends very much on your corporate travel policy, travel patterns and leisure travel agenda. Generally speaking, considering AMS is well connected to EU and the world (albeit not even close to LHR), I think FlyingBlue + a FlyinBlue AMEX is the way to go as if you stick with OneWorld and BA specifically you'll always have to take the 1hr hop to LHR to go anywhere, which might become bothersome if you do a lot of intra-EU short trips.

If you only do a few (say once a quarter) CW trips, then LHR and BAEC might be an interesting option as flying ex-EU allows you to clock more TPs and achieve status quickly. But then again redemptions will have to go through LHR...
Old Nov 3, 18, 2:50 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold [>20k Lifetime TPs] | Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond [as is Mrs PtF] | Various Others
I'll definitely be traveling a decent amount for work in my new role, both across Europe, and probably the occasional Asia and Australia trip. And then I'm sure my wife and I will go to the US a few times a year plus our person travels will probably take us all over Europe and further.

So, should we take the 'obvious' choice and become KLM/Flying Blue people? Or is it worth it to take the inconvenience of the constant hop to/from London to go with BA and stick with One World?
I would stick with OW. For long haul trips to Asia and Australia no need to back track to LHR, instead discover the joys of other OW quality airlines ex-EU; e.g. QR and CX. For the USA either AA, BA, IB, etc. For Europe - up to you.
masonp123 and SKT-DK like this.
Old Nov 3, 18, 11:49 pm

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
one plus for LHR/BA from AMS start is the number of direct flights (and greater frequency) to different USA cities over a lack by KLM from Schiphol or AA/Delta to Hub Cities from Schiphol.

Unless direct flight to USA city from Schiphol, I traveled via LHR, as initial arrival into USA, requiring immigration+baggage reclaim+domestic checkin is far to time consuming, aggravating and slow with missed connection flights. Far easier, quicker, less stressful, to have short transit with BA at LHR and connected direct to required USA city.

Going Asia, from AMS I am happy to use KLM or SQ though. Won;t use QR via DOH in business as split short J flights mean no sleep in the costly J cabin, compared with nice long direct KLM-Asia J, or SQ to SIN with a local hop.
Old Nov 4, 18, 1:04 am

Programs: BA Gold; Flying Blue Gold
I live in AMS and still fly with BA. I find for long haul BA/Oneworld is a much better choice than the Flying Blue/Skyteam alternatives. Also I find with flying blue you have to work so much harder to get any decent benefits ( lounge access is only from gold and above for example ). There are several flights to LHR every day, and even more if you include LCY and LGW, so getting to the UK isn't difficult. I've also never found transferring at LHR to be difficult. If you're flying back to the US at all, then with BA status you also then get access to the oneworld lounges even on domestic sectors. Lounges in AMS are also pretty uninspiring, BA has it's own small lounge, so experiencing the LHR lounges is also good. Also it means extra couple of sectors per trip As others have mentioned Oneworld also means you can use Qatar, CX, AY or Emirates under QF codeshare if heading to Australia. American also now has a couple of flights to AMS during summer.

I do still fly KLM/Air France within Europe, as transferring through LHR isn't normally worth it for those trips. Especially as most are within Schengen, so travelling out of then into Schengen just isn't worth it. In the Netherlands the only credit card connected to miles is Amex with flying blue so I also collect points with them that way. The Netherlands isn't generally big on credit cards, and Amex is often not accepted in shops, but I do a lot of online shopping and it's becoming more popular. Or webshops are accepting paypal, and that allows Amex.

[EDIT: I was wrong about this for US citizens, sorry For EU citizens this is relevant... this might be another Brexit casualty ] Also if you travel a lot I believe US citizens ( I'm assuming you are American ) as well as a bunch of nationalities can apply for Privium. This allows you to feel like James Bond, allowing you to use a retinal scanner at passport control rather than queuing with everyone else for a human counter, or an e-gate. Also gives you access to the premium security line regardless of class flown. There are also lounges available if you pay the higher subscription but not worth it IMO. The privium passport lines can be a blessing, and has often made the difference between missing a flight. Schiphol passport lines sometimes gets slammed Sunday evenings, pushing past 1000's of people makes it worth while.

To summarise my feelings, I find BA has a bit more of a premium feeling ( despite what people may say here ). You get champagne for example on BA even in Club Europe, I'm not sure KLM always offers it even on Long Haul. If you fly Air France then champagne is a given of course, but CDG kinda sucks as an airport. BA can be a bit more hit and miss though, although being a brit living abroad I find afternoon tea with scones to be an amazing bit of home. Again despite the many complaints about this here. KLM is a very "dutch" airline, in that it's practical and does what it needs to do, and executes on that very well on that. There's less bells and whistles, although the delft houses on KLM long haul are cute as hell, but they are solid and consistent.
Ldnn1 likes this.

Last edited by a380fan; Nov 4, 18 at 1:16 am

Search this Thread