Search

GGL or HON circle

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5, 2019, 10:13 am
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
GGL or HON circle

So after having achieved GfL and retained GGL I am thinking whether to spread my eggs into LH territory.

Currently a *A G and thinking whether i should focus on getting to HON circle or whether i should pursue GGLfL (HON circle would mean i just ratain GGL by 3K TPs rather than going to 10k like this year).

Are there esteemed members of the board that can advise on long-term implications? What would you consider most and least valuable benefits of the two and how would you make this decision?

I really like GUFs, but recent changes to its crediting of TPs, and opening up jokers to masses make me inclined to take my business elsewhere. On top of that I have been dissatisfied with my Y experiences and lack of opups from W over the last 12 months (0 longhaul opups in 10W journeys)
Old Nov 5, 2019, 10:16 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
I have heard there are plans to convert to revenue based with M&M. Probably not good for you.
Old Nov 5, 2019, 10:32 am

Programs: A3*G,BA Silver
HON is quite exclusive status. You will get 6 upgrade vouchers and also meet and greet service in the main Hubs. When it comes to upgrades LH group has a much more solid policy compare to BA. as HON you will be on the top of the list. Personally I would go for HON status if I could afford it. Also I found LH economy a much better experience. LH does not have any 787 or 10 across 777 which tends to be horrible in Y.
mcgahat, orbitmic, Cymro and 1 others like this.
Old Nov 5, 2019, 10:39 am

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
M&M redeemable miles are essentially revenue based, which is not good. You'd have to fly exclusively booked J/F on LH group airlines to get Hon Circle. I'm sure the benefits are incredible but you're talking something like LHR-MUC-SIN return twice a month in J. Does LOT do your routes or would you effectively be restricting yourself to LH/LX?
Old Nov 5, 2019, 10:51 am

Programs: BA GfL/GGL/CCR, HH Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by nufnuf77
On top of that I have been dissatisfied with my Y experiences and lack of opups from W over the last 12 months (0 longhaul opups in 10W journeys)
I don't see your problem with upgrades - I'll give you an advice you've given me a few years back: book the class you want to fly and don't count on upgrade gods - when you get one it will be a nice surprise rather than a disappointment.
morawc, morges1 and nancypants like this.
Old Nov 5, 2019, 10:56 am

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
Originally Posted by megaloman
I don't see your problem with upgrades - I'll give you an advice you've given me a few years back: book the class you want to fly and don't count on upgrade gods - when you get one it will be a nice surprise rather than a disappointment.
i don’t know when I was *G (using the Aegean loophole while it lasted ) I got 2 last minute upgrades at the gate in like 5 flights! Maybe OP is right, OW aren’t that generous with upgrades Compared to *A
Old Nov 5, 2019, 11:02 am

I am stating the obvious but if you are based in London, something which obviously I don't know, I would have ZERO appetite to go down the LH HON route.

Assuming geography-wise it's the same for you to fly BA vs LH/LX, then my second defining factor would be how you like the product. To me, LX F > LH F > BA F. But I must admit that I prefer BA's hard product in J (yes, even the old CW seat).

The third factor would be the program itself. If this is your main question (ie: assuming geography doesn't make a difference and you like the products equally), then HON Circle is in my view a better program than GGL. Simply because of LH's excellent ground services for HONs, versus the almost-total lack of ground services for GGL (I only started getting some attention from Special Services when BA suddenly realised - or decided - that my work profile/position could be deemed of an interesting profile).

Just my two cents.
LCY8737, Cymro and SussexFly like this.
Old Nov 5, 2019, 11:07 am

Programs: BA LTGold; LH Senator; HHGold; Bonvoy Plat
The other thing is how much flying over at LH would you need without status?

Would it mean extra connections too, as don’t forget *A don’t count towards Hon
Old Nov 5, 2019, 11:21 am

Programs: Mucci, BA GGL/CCR
Originally Posted by Cymro
M&M redeemable miles are essentially revenue based, which is not good. You'd have to fly exclusively booked J/F on LH group airlines to get Hon Circle. I'm sure the benefits are incredible but you're talking something like LHR-MUC-SIN return twice a month in J. Does LOT do your routes or would you effectively be restricting yourself to LH/LX?
That is a pretty serious amount of flying needed!
Old Nov 5, 2019, 11:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by ermis177
HON is quite exclusive status. You will get 6 upgrade vouchers and also meet and greet service in the main Hubs. When it comes to upgrades LH group has a much more solid policy compare to BA. as HON you will be on the top of the list. Personally I would go for HON status if I could afford it. Also I found LH economy a much better experience. LH does not have any 787 or 10 across 777 which tends to be horrible in Y.
To me that is a very good summary. In my view, there is no doubt that like for like, HON is a much stronger set of perks than GGL. You will be far more likely to be treated like royalty (soft perks can be quite exceptional), the LH F lounges and terminal are much better than the CCR etc. That said, in my view, HON is much harder to get for many people, especially for non-Germany/Switzerland based people.
nufnuf77 and ermis177 like this.
Old Nov 5, 2019, 11:35 am

Originally Posted by megaloman
As a top tier flyer, LH has a much better upgrade policy. BA upgrade policy is a weird computer algorithm that upgrade pretty much whoever it likes based on a variety of factors. Let’s be honest, most of us would love if BA adopted the same policy ( well most of BA golds at least).
Old Nov 5, 2019, 11:40 am

Originally Posted by flying_pig
I am stating the obvious but if you are based in London, something which obviously I don't know, I would have ZERO appetite to go down the LH HON route.
Not that simple. I live in East london and I would rather if I fly from City and change in Germany or Zurich rather than travel all the way to T5. I might be a minority thought 😉
Old Nov 5, 2019, 11:46 am

Programs: BA GGL
Originally Posted by nufnuf77
So after having achieved GfL and retained GGL I am thinking whether to spread my eggs into LH territory.

Currently a *A G and thinking whether i should focus on getting to HON circle or whether i should pursue GGLfL (HON circle would mean i just ratain GGL by 3K TPs rather than going to 10k like this year).

Are there esteemed members of the board that can advise on long-term implications? What would you consider most and least valuable benefits of the two and how would you make this decision?

I really like GUFs, but recent changes to its crediting of TPs, and opening up jokers to masses make me inclined to take my business elsewhere. On top of that I have been dissatisfied with my Y experiences and lack of opups from W over the last 12 months (0 longhaul opups in 10W journeys)
i don’t really think HON Circle would work for you as you just won’t find the same number of ways to game the system and you’ll have to spend a serious amount of money to earn it. It’s all very anti-nufnuf!
Old Nov 5, 2019, 11:50 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
Being partly based in Germany, I cannot escape sometimes using LH, regardless of how much I really loath flying with the attitude some of the crew have.

LH have recently started deeply discounting their J tickets, which traditionally they didn’t do, and so I have been flying more with them. The latest trick though is at T-8 hours or so, after knowing Y numbers, they expand the J cabin, moving the curtain back past the exit row even when there’s only the first few rows occupied, so causing a very cramped experience in a shrunk Y cabin with all seats taken while J has up to 10 empty rows. If you complain, they’ll tell you it’s for trim reasons. I call BS. And I’m back to avoiding LH as much as I possibly can.
nancypants likes this.
Old Nov 5, 2019, 11:58 am

Originally Posted by orbitmic
To me that is a very good summary. In my view, there is no doubt that like for like, HON is a much stronger set of perks than GGL. You will be far more likely to be treated like royalty (soft perks can be quite exceptional), the LH F lounges and terminal are much better than the CCR etc. That said, in my view, HON is much harder to get for many people, especially for non-Germany/Switzerland based people.
The HON members even get a special priority tag when they check in luggage. Once the agent run out of normal priority tags and I got one, when I landed and went to the luggage belt my luggage was the only one already circling around. German efficiency.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.