Community
Wiki Posts
Search

KrisFlyer for US-based flyer

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2018, 12:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Alaska 75K, United Platinum
KrisFlyer for US-based flyer

I do a lot of domestic travel in the USA mostly on United and Alaska but am slightly frustrated with both programs. I was wondering if there is any benefit to me 'crediting' all my flights to Singapore going forward as a way of consolidating miles and earning KrisFlyer Gold status? I also have mostly AMEX cards, so it would be nice to have a 'partner' airline that I can add to my mileage balance.

I can't seem to get a list on SQ of specific partner benefits for either AS or UA. Right now I'm UA Gold and AS75K and the only real benefits I truly appreciate are priority boarding and Economy+ seat assignment at booking. Would SQ grant me similar benefits?
Old May 3, 2018, 1:56 pm

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, Marriott & SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, ShangriLa Jade, Enterprise Plat, Taj Gold
No status benefits on AS. You can only credit your miles to SQ and redeem of course.

With UA once you are KF Elite Gold you’ll get the standard *G benefits on UA including Zone 2 boarding and lounge access.

You won’t get E+/PE seating.

Last edited by PiperAtGatesofDawn; May 3, 2018 at 2:04 pm
Old May 3, 2018, 2:27 pm

Programs: TK Elite
I'm answering this with the understanding that your flying is largely US domestic.

UA is giving you benefits as a UA Gold. As a Star Alliance Gold (through Turkish), I get priority boarding, but not seating when I fly on United. There is no Star Alliance benefit for seat upgrades. So, if you are doing domestic travel on United, the question isn't what Singapore would give. Instead, it is a question of what United would give (you would get priority boarding, one bag free, no seat upgrades but you'll be able to get into United lounges as an "international" passenger)

If you want domestic flying benefits for United, you can't get as many as a Star Alliance Gold through Singapore. United treats its own status passengers better.
Old May 3, 2018, 2:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Alaska 75K, United Platinum
Thank you for your responses. Very helpful and just what I was wanting to know.
Old May 3, 2018, 8:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
KF is not really a program for U.S. based travelers, unless:

1. The traveler fly exclusively on SQ; or,
2. The traveler transfer credit card points to KF.
Old May 4, 2018, 10:07 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Voldoo
I was wondering if there is any benefit to me 'crediting' all my flights to Singapore going forward as a way of consolidating miles and earning KrisFlyer Gold status?
The only benefit of KF Gold over UA Gold would be UC access on domestic flights. But you won't get E+ or even a chance at an upgrade, and you're probably going to accrue fewer redeemable miles (depending on the fares you fly, could be considerably fewer).
Old May 4, 2018, 12:25 pm

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, Marriott & SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, ShangriLa Jade, Enterprise Plat, Taj Gold
Originally Posted by garykung
KF is not really a program for U.S. based travelers, unless:
It used to be a good program till late last year when they stopped crediting 100% miles from flying United. That used to be a pretty good deal since SQ generally has a better redemption chart, even in some cases on UA metal (West Coast - Hawaii for instance).

Today it depends on how you plan to redeem your miles for instance if you’re looking to redeem on SQ J/F etc. If not you might want to stick to UA.

Originally Posted by Kacee
But you won't get E+ or even a chance at an upgrade, and you're probably going to accrue fewer redeemable miles (depending on the fares you fly, could be considerably fewer).
That’s not necessarily true. I fly UA a lot and I get upgraded every 7-10 flights probably - that’s of course less than a UA elite. I’ve even got upgraded on international flights (BOM-EWR) a couple of times in about 20-25 flights.

With the current E+ nothing worth writing home about I’m fine taking UC over E+. Though UC isn’t anything to write home about either but a 2-3 glasses of Pinot Grigio and I’m ready to put up with UA.
Old May 4, 2018, 1:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by PiperAtGatesofDawn
It used to be a good program till late last year when they stopped crediting 100% miles from flying United.
I think it is best you stop looking in the past.

As you talked about the past, I could also say UA was so good about its 100% bonus, even for mid-tier.

Talking to the past would be a never ending discussion.
Old May 4, 2018, 4:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by PiperAtGatesofDawn
That’s not necessarily true. I fly UA a lot and I get upgraded every 7-10 flights probably - that’s of course less than a UA elite. I’ve even got upgraded on international flights (BOM-EWR) a couple of times in about 20-25 flights.
You're saying as a *G you get upgraded to first or business on UA? I'm sorry, I don't believe that.

1. UA has a rigorously structured, published upgrade system which is run by the computer. And there is no provision for upgrading *G. They are simply not upgrade eligible.

2. Most UA Golds don't get upgraded every 7-10 flights. Many 1Ks have CPU percentages of 25% or less, depending on the routes they fly.

3. In over 1.1 million UA miles, I have never received a complimentary upgrade on an international flight.
Old May 5, 2018, 12:27 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
You're saying as a *G you get upgraded to first or business on UA? I'm sorry, I don't believe that.
And you shouldn’t mostly because that wasn’t what I said. It was E to E+. What OP is looking for if he changes FFPs.

Last edited by PiperAtGatesofDawn; May 5, 2018 at 7:38 am
Old May 5, 2018, 12:33 am

Originally Posted by garykung
I think it is best you stop looking in the past.

As you talked about the past, I could also say UA was so good about its 100% bonus, even for mid-tier.

Talking to the past would be a never ending discussion.
Actually I said all of the below but this is all you got out of it. I’ve put in bold all the parts you missed reading again for your benefit.

It used to be a good program till late last year when they stopped crediting 100% miles from flying United. That used to be a pretty good deal since SQ generally has a better redemption chart, even in some cases on UA metal (West Coast - Hawaii for instance).

Today it depends on how you plan to redeem your miles for instance if you’re looking to redeem on SQ J/F etc. If not you might want to stick to UA.

markmho likes this.
Old May 5, 2018, 2:22 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Look at TG perhaps as 50k Miles in a year gives you two years of *A Gold.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.