Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Coming from AA...grass is definitely a shade greener

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2018, 7:12 pm
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA

I don't know if this should been the AA or DL forum, but since my basis for this post is to contrast a few key value differentiators between the two, and because I've been a veteran US turned AA LT Gold flyer, I figured it should go here. And, frankly, I had no idea that perks between programs could have some of the large differences so maybe there are others in a similar situation who may or may not want to test the waters elsewhere this early in the year. I found UA to be a lot more on par with AA, with DL giving some notable perks for even the lowest tier level (Silver)

My travel, like many here, is mostly weekly to the same place. For this year, 90% of my travel will be between PHL and a mid-continent city with weekly 3-4 night stays. In the 2nd half of last year, I stuck to AA for most of the trips. Some were nonstop, many connected in ORD or CLT due to timing. So to give me options for the new year, I opted for a DL status match which for an AA Gold was 8 segments/6250 MQM + $750 spend.

Starting in 2018 with equal status on AA (Gold) and DL (Silver), I decided to start with DL. My math showed me that my spend and segments would get me pretty far along within a few months. But what I noticed immediately about having Silver status on Delta was:

1.) Exit rows are available upon booking. They aren't blocked like AA MCE until T-24 hours to departure. So, 95% of the time I've been able to snag a good exit row
2.) DL Comfort+ seating is fairly expansive and after a few trips, I was getting the upgrades to C+ and even F at times on some off peak mid week trips.
3.) Simplified boarding. Travelers needing assistance, followed by Diamond/Premium cabin, Sky and a few coach zones. The 9 boarding zones on AA has become maddening and a free for all at the gate. Who can keep track of that!?
4.) DL Onboard GoGo viewing options of movies/TV are pretty decent. The free imessaging/whatsapp/email option is also a nice perk (for anyone). I know AA GoGo only charges 2.95, but it's still a minor differentiator
5.) DL miles don't expire. While I do try to use or generate some activity in AA to keep them from expiring, it's nice to know I don't have to sweat that small detail with my DL balance.
6.) Redeemable award miles at DL's lowest level(Silver) are given at 7x dollar amount vs. AA's 5x. That leads to redeemable miles to use sooner.
7.) People complain about not getting soft landings when the clock strikes February 1, but DL has rollover elite miles (MQM). So if I get to 70K MQMs by end of year, I'll have already earned 2nd tier 50K (Gold) in the new year with 20K MQM's credited towards the following year's accrual. That's effectively a soft landing.
8.) Even with <40 minute scheduled connections, the flights have so far had a very good on time rate with minimal delays.
9.) No 500 mile e-certs required for upgrades! That's a small consolation, but notable.

I'm already passing the Silver threshold and should pass Gold by April. So far so good!
Old Feb 6, 2018, 7:55 pm
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Glad to hear you're enjoying DL, and congrats on getting upgrades as a silver -- that's pretty rare these days so don't necessarily count on it for all your travels. But yes, Delta keeping exit rows outside Comfort+ is definitely a nice perk for lower-level elites.

It's funny that you enjoy DL's boarding more -- many DL fliers dislike it because having "zone 1" be the third zone to board confuses infrequent fliers at the gate and leads to more crowding than might be the case if those people's boarding passes said "zone 5" or whatever the AA equivalent is, so that people were more likely to think "I guess I'm boarding pretty late, I'll stay seated for a bit." But some things are just always grass greener on the other side!

Also, btw, I think you also earn 7x miles per dollar spent if you're AA Gold (the same as DL Silver)? UA and AA both basically copied DL's miles-earned-per-dollar-spent structure.
Old Feb 6, 2018, 7:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
AA awards miles to Golds at 7 miles per dollar, just like DL does for its Silvers.

I'm curious to hear your opinion of Delta miles after you try to redeem them for anything besides advance purchase domestic coach.

Being an elite in a city that is another airline's hub tends to yield pretty decent upgrade results. Since many people living in PHL consider themselves captive to USdbaAA, that will cut down your competition quite a bit.
Old Feb 6, 2018, 8:07 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
I actually love AA doesn’t preboard families with kids....they can deal with their strollers after I’m enjoying my Bloody Mary in FC lol.
bubbashow, hockeystl and nlkm9 like this.
Old Feb 6, 2018, 10:23 pm

Originally Posted by AANYC1981
I actually love AA doesn’t preboard families with kids....they can deal with their strollers after I’m enjoying my Bloody Mary in FC lol.
Agreed on a turn left aircraft (ie 757) but on a turn right aircraft (ie 737/320) i'd rather them go ahead and get all there stuff done and out of the way.
Old Feb 6, 2018, 11:36 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
They need to make a change to their pre-board wheelchair policy. If you board the plane in a wheelchair then you will leave the plane in a wheelchair. I've seen too many healing flights where wheelchair passengers miraculously regain their ability to walk upon landing.
Old Feb 6, 2018, 11:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PHL
..6.) Redeemable award miles at DL's lowest level(Silver) are given at 7x dollar amount vs. AA's 5x. That leads to redeemable miles to use sooner.
Have you looked the DL/AA ff miles needed for say a business class award flight PHL to Europe?
Old Feb 7, 2018, 12:57 am

Programs: FB Platinum, SM Diamond
Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
They need to make a change to their pre-board wheelchair policy. If you board the plane in a wheelchair then you will leave the plane in a wheelchair. I've seen too many healing flights where wheelchair passengers miraculously regain their ability to walk upon landing.
I am sure if Delta (and most airline), "force" this wheelchair to disembark at the end, the number of this "type" of pax will cut by a significative %.

If they "recover" their leg for the landing not to go out last, they must lost the access to wheelchair on their next flight.

I am happy to lets pass first wheelchair passenger (life is not easy for them), but I am again peoples abusing the system and play with the rules.

This will also reduce the cost for airline.
Old Feb 7, 2018, 2:36 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by AANYC1981
You mean after you've boarded and are waiting for the AA FAs to not bother with PDBs?
AANYC1981 and skye1 like this.
Old Feb 7, 2018, 6:47 am
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
Thanks for the clarification!

Originally Posted by bgriff
Also, btw, I think you also earn 7x miles per dollar spent if you're AA Gold (the same as DL Silver)? UA and AA both basically copied DL's miles-earned-per-dollar-spent structure.
Old Feb 7, 2018, 7:07 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA Gold/1MM, AS MVP 100K, AA Gold
Originally Posted by taxicabnumber
You mean after you've boarded and are waiting for the AA FAs to not bother with PDBs?
+1. Unless it's a PMUS crew good luck with a PDB
Old Feb 7, 2018, 7:11 am

Programs: AA Plat/2MM, DL Silver, UA Silver (via Marr), Marr LTT, HH Gold (via cc), Hyatt Disc
Originally Posted by PHL
I
2.) DL Comfort+ seating is fairly expansive and after a few trips, I was getting the upgrades to C+ and even F at times on some off peak mid week trips.

9.) No 500 mile e-certs required for upgrades! That's a small consolation, but notable.
Good to hear the switch is working for you.

Most AA fans would say that the 500 mile certs are actually beneficial for lower tier elites as not every elite is automatically on the upgrade list. You theoretically would have a better shot at getting an upgrade as AA elites low on certs will be selective about which flights to request upgrades on so will not request an upgrade on some flights so slightly less competition for you. The addition of Plat Pro in 2017 (who now also get unlimited upgrades, no certs needed, just like Exp) lessened that advantage as it's now Golds and a smaller group of Plats who have to make that cert/no-cert call, with a larger pool automatically on the upgrade list.

As noted, going to the non-hub carrier likely will result in better upgrade percentages for you long-term, so if the routing works, makes total sense.
silverthief2 likes this.
Old Feb 7, 2018, 7:25 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
I mean, what's the problem that you're trying to solve here?
Old Feb 7, 2018, 8:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by FBplatinum
I am sure if Delta (and most airline), "force" this wheelchair to disembark at the end, the number of this "type" of pax will cut by a significative %.

If they "recover" their leg for the landing not to go out last, they must lost the access to wheelchair on their next flight.
A thorough read of applicable accessibility regulations would do both you and readywhenyouare some good. Delta must comply with the law. Discrimination is prohibited by law. You think you're clever but display a lack of empathy.

Link to 14 CFR 382: https://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-id...5#sp14.4.382.e
pvn likes this.
Old Feb 7, 2018, 9:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
A thorough read of applicable accessibility regulations would do both you and readywhenyouare some good. Delta must comply with the law. Discrimination is prohibited by law. You think you're clever but display a lack of empathy.

Link to 14 CFR 382: https://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-id...5#sp14.4.382.e
There's nothing in there (that I see) that requires the airlines to allow pre-boarding.
readywhenyouare likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.