Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Thinking of switching from DL to AA? Check today's changes to AA's FF program

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2014, 2:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM

In various threads here, people talk about switching to AA either now or next year due to the announced changes to DL's FF program. Before proceeding with status match/challenge requests or otherwise investing in the switch, you should investigate the four changed that AA implemented around midnight without any warning.

In brief, Explorer awards (which seems to be a way to save miles on certain international award tickets) are gone and as of now can no longer be booked. There are now new multi-tier (at least four or five depending on how you count) award charts. Golds (equivalent of DL's FO at 25,000 status miles etc.) no longer get a free second checked bag. Finally, apparently one can no longer take a free stopover at an international gateway on award tickets.

There are various threads in the AA forum discussing these changes. Look in both the pre-merger and consolidated subfora.
Old Apr 8, 2014, 2:35 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Amb, HH Diamond, DL Diamond and 1MM
To be expected

I think everyone expected AA to devalue. The "no notice" thing is a surprise, but not without precident. About a year ago, Delta cut a number of awards -- such as Australia from 150 to 160k with no notice. The explanation from Delta voice was that revenue ticket price increases are not pre-announced, so why should redemption increases be pre-announced? United pre-announced partner award mileage increases in October, but effective in February. That was nice for me because I booked an "F" award on Asiana to use up all of my MileagePlus miles before the price increase kicked-in.

It looks like the existing Saver awards for booking partners remain unchanged. I've redeemed AA miles for biz-class on JL to Japan and Korea for only 100k before. That's still there, and is a better deal than 140k Skymiles on Delta.

Last edited by Bowgie; Apr 8, 2014 at 2:44 pm
Old Apr 8, 2014, 3:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
As of right now, it's still a far cry from what DL has done. There may be another shoe to drop, but only time will tell.
Old Apr 8, 2014, 4:00 pm

Programs: Delta DM, AA EXP, SPG PLT75, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by javabytes
As of right now, it's still a far cry from what DL has done. There may be another shoe to drop, but only time will tell.
+1

Although I would have probably not used the word "may". There will most certainly will be further devaluations and its unfortunate that AA chose to implement with no warning.

The race to the bottom is revving up to full gear.
Old Apr 8, 2014, 5:02 pm

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
No comparison. AA, without notice, made an across the board change that impacts each of their members. Delta, with lots of notice, changed things to reward those who spend more. Many people come out ahead in the new DL system. Heavy users on low fares, those who purchase cheap seats for long flights, are the primary losers. Nobody comes out ahead in the AA system.

I recently purchased an $800 r/t to Asia, for which I got 45k RDMs. I also purchased a r/t ATL-DTW S-fare for $900, which will net 2,678 RDMs. Something is very wrong with a system that rewards the first ticket higher than the second ticket. DL, as a business, should be encouraging the latter tickets, rather than practically giving me 2 domestic r/ts in addition to the transportation to Asia and back. (And I've gotten four r/t domestic tickets for 25k each so far this year, so it can be done.) Anyone who cannot admit that has blinders on.

The whining is getting tiresome. DL doesn't think it needs to go out of its way for your business. If you no longer find value flying DL, fly a different airline. They didn't injure you, cause you financial hardship, insult you or otherwise cause you harm. They made a financial decision. Why would anyone expect to get a cheap seat and be treated like a high roller?

Last edited by CJKatl; Apr 8, 2014 at 5:08 pm
Old Apr 8, 2014, 5:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by CJKatl
No comparison. AA, without notice, made an across the board change that impacts each of their members. Delta, with lots of notice, changed things to reward those who spend more. Many people come out ahead in the new DL system. Those who purchase cheap seats are the primary losers. Nobody comes out ahead in the AA system.

The whining is getting tiresome. DL doesn't think it needs to go out of its way for your business. If you no longer find value flying DL, fly a different airline. They didn't injure you, cause you financial hardship, insult you or otherwise cause you harm. They made a financial decision. Why would anyone expect to get a cheap seat and be treated like a high roller?
No, a select few come out ahead in the DL system. Most lose.

The zero-notice thing is in line with every other "enhancement" DL has made in its recent history besides the last one. If you think the reason for the advance notice is out of some great respect for its customers, I have a bridge to sell you.

It's disappointing that you confuse opposing viewpoints in a mileage & points discussion forum with whining.
Old Apr 8, 2014, 5:32 pm

Originally Posted by CJKatl
No comparison. AA, without notice, made an across the board change that impacts each of their members. Delta, with lots of notice, changed things to reward those who spend more. Many people come out ahead in the new DL system. Heavy users on low fares, those who purchase cheap seats for long flights, are the primary losers. Nobody comes out ahead in the AA system.

I recently purchased an $800 r/t to Asia, for which I got 45k RDMs. I also purchased a r/t ATL-DTW S-fare for $900, which will net 2,678 RDMs. Something is very wrong with a system that rewards the first ticket higher than the second ticket. DL, as a business, should be encouraging the latter tickets, rather than practically giving me 2 domestic r/ts in addition to the transportation to Asia and back. (And I've gotten four r/t domestic tickets for 25k each so far this year, so it can be done.) Anyone who cannot admit that has blinders on.

Thank you! I agree. I actually will get more miles with the new 2015 changes, and I don't buy expensive tickets. I fly between Chicago and Atlanta each week (50 flights/100 segments per year to barely get Platinum status, but I only get enough MQMs to qualify for Gold). My flights cost between $300-$350 each week...this is the same amount some people say their transcontinental tickets cost! So, they are spending the same amount as me (assuming they fly that route each week) but get way more miles and get Diamond status. I used to think that longer flights cost more money so it made sense that people on those flights got more miles, but now that I know that's not true then it makes no sense at all. I only wish Delta would make the changes for RDMs and not just MQMs, then it would be more fair.

I also don't understand why so many people are upset about not getting complimentary upgrades in the Business Elite seats. We don't get those upgrades in Business Elite for international flights either. We only get them for the recliner seats for both international and domestic flights, so I don't see why it should be different for domestic vs international Business Elite.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a superfan of any airline and will gladly switch if I believe that is in my best interest, but I just don't see these changes as unfair.
Old Apr 8, 2014, 5:35 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta skymiles DM + 1MM
pound for pound, AA still has the better FF program. They have a long way to go before they reach the depths to where DL is at.
Old Apr 8, 2014, 5:37 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
No, a select few come out ahead in the DL system. Most lose.

The zero-notice thing is in line with every other "enhancement" DL has made in its recent history besides the last one. If you think the reason for the advance notice is out of some great respect for its customers, I have a bridge to sell you.

It's disappointing that you confuse opposing viewpoints in a mileage & points discussion forum with whining.
Obviously all 3 will be (or have) devalued, and that creates a lot of .....ing in all directions.

I think some are just jealous that in the race for the bottom (re FF) DL proved to be the swiftest.

PS: OT: I just spent 2 days f'ing around getting cacao to build under icetea for an armhf system. Sorry, but java bites.
Old Apr 8, 2014, 5:40 pm
Used to be 'flymanbeast'

Programs: Delta silver/marriot platinum
AA has no stopovers on any kind of award ticket now right? I would say delta is better now. I am doing this in BE low with delta tlv-fco-nrt // Icn-svo-ams(stopover)-svo-tlv Compare the values please.
Old Apr 8, 2014, 6:12 pm

Programs: AA 1MM; DL DM; Global Entry; MR Gold; HH Gold; Nat'l EC
Originally Posted by flymanbeast
AA has no stopovers on any kind of award ticket now right? I would say delta is better now. I am doing this in BE low with delta tlv-fco-nrt // Icn-svo-ams(stopover)-svo-tlv Compare the values please.
Agree, the loss of int'l stopovers on AA is a bigger deal than the chart devaluation. Loss if Explorer awards is also a bummer.
Old Apr 8, 2014, 6:33 pm

Programs: DL GM, SPG GOLD, UA DIRT, AA PLAT, US (RIP), Hilton HHonors
+1 I totally agree

Originally Posted by smgainey
Thank you! I agree. I actually will get more miles with the new 2015 changes, and I don't buy expensive tickets. I fly between Chicago and Atlanta each week (50 flights/100 segments per year to barely get Platinum status, but I only get enough MQMs to qualify for Gold). My flights cost between $300-$350 each week...this is the same amount some people say their transcontinental tickets cost! So, they are spending the same amount as me (assuming they fly that route each week) but get way more miles and get Diamond status. I used to think that longer flights cost more money so it made sense that people on those flights got more miles, but now that I know that's not true then it makes no sense at all. I only wish Delta would make the changes for RDMs and not just MQMs, then it would be more fair..
The DL changes are only for RDM not MQM.

The Points Guy summarizes the AA changes:

http://thepointsguy.com/2014/04/a-co...t-aint-pretty/

In a vacuum I'd still pick AA... given that I've already booked enough DL flights this year to requalify for GM it's a tough call
Old Apr 8, 2014, 6:56 pm
Formerly known as scootr29

Originally Posted by flymanbeast
Stopover can't be more than 24 hours...
Old Apr 8, 2014, 7:03 pm

Originally Posted by HatAndJacket
+1 I totally agree

The DL changes are only for RDM not MQM.

The Points Guy summarizes the AA changes:

http://thepointsguy.com/2014/04/a-co...t-aint-pretty/

In a vacuum I'd still pick AA... given that I've already booked enough DL flights this year to requalify for GM it's a tough call
Oops, I meant to say the opposite. I wish they would make the changes for MQMs not just RDMs. Thanks!
Old Apr 8, 2014, 7:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by scootr29
Stopover can't be more than 24 hours...
On an international itinerary, a transit/aircraft change of 24 hours or less is a connection, not a stopover by definition.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.