Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

Coronavirus / COVID-19 : general fact-based reporting

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 27, 2020, 9:09 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: username
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING
This thread has become a valuable resource on Corona Virus/COVID-19 in general and no longer just about its impact on China travel. In order for the thread to remain fact-based and useful, posters are reminded to keep it free of speculation, conjecture and fear-mongering. Posts which do not meet these guidelines or which break the FT rules may be edited or deleted. Please observe the following FT rules in particular:

- be respectful and helpful
- stay on topic
- posts must be contributive to the thread
- inflammatory, inciting or unnecessarily provocative posts are not allowed
- repetitively posting comments of the same general theme is not permitted
- abusive, hateful, threatening, harassing or otherwise offensive posts will not be tolerated
- do not post comments on moderator decisions

FlyerTalk Senior Moderator Team

The following two links are updated daily:
IATA international transit / arrival policies Coronavirus Outbreak - Update
WHO Coronavirus disease (COVID-19) situation reports

Counters / Meters : Other Discussions on FlyerTalk Pertaining to COVID-19:

General (in this forum)
Location-specific
Airlines
Hotels
Other
Please add other discussions on FlyerTalk pertaining to COVID-19 not already been included in this WikiPost. Thank you.

Print Wikipost

Coronavirus / COVID-19 : general fact-based reporting

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2021, 11:57 pm

Programs: M&S Elite+
I am going to put another theory out there - a variation on herd immunity. Maybe some people are just not susceptible to this virus, or at least need a much greater exposure to become infected. Is it not possible that most of the people that are going to be infected have now been so? It would still leave a lot of people that have not been infected and that do not have antibodies. It could change if new variants come along, but it could be that the current ones have run their course with this last wave.
JNelson113 likes this.
Old Feb 22, 2021, 12:49 am

Originally Posted by DaveS
I am going to put another theory out there - a variation on herd immunity. Maybe some people are just not susceptible to this virus, or at least need a much greater exposure to become infected. Is it not possible that most of the people that are going to be infected have now been so? It would still leave a lot of people that have not been infected and that do not have antibodies. It could change if new variants come along, but it could be that the current ones have run their course with this last wave.
These are great hopes/thoughts, but there were similar thoughts/claims made back in April and in August. I think a key is that various levels of herd immunity work *with* other mitigations -- i.e. if 40% of people can't or won't distance/wear masks/etc, at some point most of *those* people have gotten it and the numbers go down. But as the other 60% who have been distancing/etc start to relax and reduce their mitigation (or as it's reduced for them -- fewer no-contact options for things, less enforcement of masking, brought back to the office, etc), that's a huge pool to fuel a next wave. And that's without considering variants that might reduce prior immunity or spread differently -- but also without considering vaccinations that bring immunity to more and more of that 60% also each day. March and April will tell us a lot.
Old Feb 22, 2021, 2:06 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Behavior changes when confronted by noticing a surge of deaths from a cause .

Behavior changes when there is hope on the horizon to avoid a noticed cause of deaths by "doubling down" for just long enough to reach that hope point or by taking additional risks because "hope is on the horizon".

In the case of the former, a surge in reported death counts for Covid-19 does induce behavior change in at least part.

In the case of the latter, the hope point may be that of getting vaccinated.

Originally Posted by DaveS
Given this virus' initial site of infection generally and given how the immune system's largest component is the mucosal immune system, it should be pretty much expected that some people are just less susceptible to this virus because of their mucosal immune system while others would be way more susceptible to initial infection because of their mucosal immune system. Mucous membranes matter.

"Is it not possible that most of the people that are going to be infected have now been so? " Well, some social circles are slower to be subject to cross-cutting cleavages with other social circles than others while other social circles are much faster to be subject to cross-cutting cleavages with other social circles. That difference in speed of social circles being exposed to other social circles means that "natural herd immunity" has been much slower to come about than its proponents have been assuming repeatedly in places that have de facto stuck with that "natural herd immunity" approach for this virus. The spread of a communicable pathogen is not uniform within communities or across all communities in a given country because some social circles are slower to be exposed than others. This is a factor in why there are "waves" in cases, hospitalizations and deaths for this.

Last edited by GUWonder; Feb 22, 2021 at 2:15 am
Old Feb 22, 2021, 3:02 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Covid: Vaccines having big impact on hospitalisation risk

The work led by Public Health Scotland found by the fourth week after the first dose hospitalisations were reduced by 85% and 94% for the Pfizer and AstraZeneca jabs respectively.

It is the first sign of the real world impact of the Covid vaccination programme in the UK.

Figures for England are expected to be released later.

Among the over 80s, the combined figure was an 81% reduction.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-56153600
svo242, DaveS and DL77 like this.
Old Feb 22, 2021, 3:26 am
Hilton 10+ BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Gold
Some research by Natixis, a French multinational financial services firm specialized in asset & wealth management, corporate & investment banking, insurance and payments (so not exactly a bunch of extremists of Health and Safety), concludes that the choice of Europe to not do a ZeroCovid strategy from spring 2020 is not understandable and a mistake. They conclude the economy of every country doing a ZeroCovid strategy is in a much better shape than the European one.

https://www.research.natixis.com/Sit...%3D?from=email
Old Feb 22, 2021, 7:37 am

Originally Posted by PanAmWT
Very good point! Although because of the calendar of New Year, Xmas to New Year holidays is near worldwide regardless of the dominant culture or faith.

I assume countries like Japan is not anywhere close to any kind of herd immunity.

Very reasonable. I am look forward to the next Thursday's UCSF Grand Rounds, expecting Rutherford will talk about this.
Ya, I don't know anything about how other cultures handle New Year's. Is it a big deal in Africa, for example? Anyway, I also look forward to hearing more from Rutherford.

Japan is an interesting case. We really have no idea how widespread covid was, or still is, because they have been doing practically no testing. It's possible that because their population is really healthy, there were points in time where covid was widespread but not impactful enough to result in mass hospitalization. Even today, Japan has a really low positivity rate but also a really low testing rate. As of Saturday, Japan does 0.4 tests per 1000. The US does 2.77 tests per thousand. And the UK does almost 8 tests per 1000.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-h...-idUSKBN29K0AM
Old Feb 22, 2021, 12:41 pm

There are at least 3 interactive variables: human behaviors, virus mutations and vaccine effect. There are also at least 3 interactive layers in human behaviors: government policies, official media and social media, and individual reactions to policies. Is that so difficult to acknowledge that we don't have much knowledge, in any of these variables?
Old Feb 22, 2021, 3:10 pm

Programs: UA GS 4MM, RCC life member (paid), Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, CLEAR
Originally Posted by lobo411
Ya, I don't know anything about how other cultures handle New Year's. Is it a big deal in Africa, for example? Anyway, I also look forward to hearing more from Rutherford.

Japan is an interesting case. We really have no idea how widespread covid was, or still is, because they have been doing practically no testing. It's possible that because their population is really healthy, there were points in time where covid was widespread but not impactful enough to result in mass hospitalization. Even today, Japan has a really low positivity rate but also a really low testing rate. As of Saturday, Japan does 0.4 tests per 1000. The US does 2.77 tests per thousand. And the UK does almost 8 tests per 1000.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-h...-idUSKBN29K0AM
Japan and Taiwan are probably the top two countries in masking pre-pandemic. In my 40 years of monthly-bimonthly trips to East Asia, I have seen far more people wearing mask on their subways than in China or Hong Kong, all low case countries with wide acceptance of masking.

Originally Posted by freedom2020
There are at least 3 interactive variables: human behaviors, virus mutations and vaccine effect. There are also at least 3 interactive layers in human behaviors: government policies, official media and social media, and individual reactions to policies. Is that so difficult to acknowledge that we don't have much knowledge, in any of these variables?
Rutherford nearly every time mentioned that Bay Area, regardless of which phase of the waves, consistently performed better than Southern California because of policy and masking.
Old Feb 22, 2021, 3:27 pm

Rutherford nearly every time mentioned that Bay Area, regardless of which phase of the waves, consistently performed better than Southern California because of policy and masking.
Why SoCal is worse than Florida? Isn't policy more restrictive in SoCal?

These kinds of "piece meal" isolated facts are more misleading than bloody lies, because it looks right on the face value.
JNelson113, the810 and VCURamFan like this.
Old Feb 22, 2021, 3:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by lobo411
The problem with Dr. Shortell's guess (and it is just a guess) is that we saw a coordinated, global surge on every inhabited continent. How did American Thanksgiving cause a surge in Brazil? How did Grand-pere Noel bring a surge to South Korea? And then like clockwork, 6-8 weeks later, we saw a coordinated, global recession on every inhabited continent. Why are cases receding in "doing it right" countries like Japan...but they're also receding in countries run by morons like AMLO in Mexico and Bolsonaro in Brazil?
Where do you get the data that there is a global recession in cases? There are still a lot of deaths and still a whole lot of people in intensive care. I don't see any drops in the countries that I follow. Like France for instance.

Without investigating, I might assume that there is only a recession in reported cases, but not in actual infections.
Old Feb 22, 2021, 3:38 pm

Japan and Taiwan are probably the top two countries in masking pre-pandemic. In my 40 years of monthly-bimonthly trips to East Asia, I have seen far more people wearing mask on their subways than in China or Hong Kong, all low case countries with wide acceptance of masking.
However, all of these mask wearing countries have almost zero social distancing, even right now. When required, it's 1 meter rather than 6 ft. That's a huge difference. Most social activities can be safely resumed with 1 meter social distancing with little or no modifications, but impossible with 6 ft requirement, as it triples space requirement per person. For example, it's not difficult to maintain 1 meter between students in a typical classroom in US. But you have to split a class into 2 or 3 to achieve 6 ft distancing.
PanAmWT and FlitBen like this.
Old Feb 22, 2021, 3:44 pm

Programs: Mucci, BAEC, Eurostar
Originally Posted by stimpy
Where do you get the data that there is a global recession in cases? There are still a lot of deaths and still a whole lot of people in intensive care. I don't see any drops in the countries that I follow. Like France for instance.

Without investigating, I might assume that there is only a recession in reported cases, but not in actual infections.
France decided not to lock down completely, and have been pretty much flat at a high level for a while (although the south east and north east are having big flare-ups now). The UK has been on a strong downward trend for 4 weeks now, after a massive spike in Jan. If you only look at one country you won't see a decrease because in this case it's an outlier. I follow both France and the UK and the contrast is big.

I also see the weekly report from the Economist, and indeed North America and Europe are on steep downward trends.

Regarding ICU and death numbers, they lag between 3 and 6 weeks behind case variations.
VCURamFan likes this.
Old Feb 22, 2021, 3:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by alex67500
France decided not to lock down completely, and have been pretty much flat at a high level for a while (although the south east and north east are having big flare-ups now). The UK has been on a strong downward trend for 4 weeks now, after a massive spike in Jan. If you only look at one country you won't see a decrease because in this case it's an outlier. I follow both France and the UK and the contrast is big.

I also see the weekly report from the Economist, and indeed North America and Europe are on steep downward trends.

Regarding ICU and death numbers, they lag between 3 and 6 weeks behind case variations.
France didn't do another full lockdown, but all bars, restaurants, cinemas, etc have been closed for months. And mask wearing is quite compulsory.

And as for reporting lags, don't ICU cases happen within a week of infection in serious cases? If they are not in decline now, then perhaps there is a problem with case reporting.
Old Feb 22, 2021, 4:05 pm

Programs: Mucci, BAEC, Eurostar
Originally Posted by stimpy
France didn't do another full lockdown, but all bars, restaurants, cinemas, etc have been closed for months. And mask wearing is quite compulsory.

And as for reporting lags, don't ICU cases happen within a week of infection in serious cases? If they are not in decline now, then perhaps there is a problem with case reporting.
One of the main factors for France is schools have remained open, which in turn keeps the number of interactions high. Kids might not show symptoms too often, but they do transmit it. UK schools have been open only 1 day in all of 2021.

What I've noticed (through empirical observation, by no means scientific) is that it looks like a spike of cases is followed roughly 10-12 days later by a spike of hospitalisations, then followed by a spike in deaths at around the same time lag again. We're observing it in the UK right now. Cases are decreasing less fast than last week so I expect hospitalisation rates to follow that trend next week. Unless the vaccine starts showing positive effects, which I hope will be the case.
Old Feb 22, 2021, 5:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by alex67500
One of the main factors for France is schools have remained open, which in turn keeps the number of interactions high. Kids might not show symptoms too often, but they do transmit it. UK schools have been open only 1 day in all of 2021.
I don't think we can say with any confidence that schools have anything to do with it. Schools are open in Florida and cases are rapidly declining. Ditto in many other places.
lobo411 and VCURamFan like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.