Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Eva Air | Infinity MileageLands
Reload this Page >

BR Adjusts Service/Schedule Due to Coronavirus Outbreak

Old Feb 10, 2020, 12:48 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: hayzel7773
Booking Changes
  • The airline has suspended all basic category bookings for Y and PE for flights April/May. J continues to offer Basic, Standard, and Up.
  • Singapore ticketing/booking office is temporarily closed to protect employees in accordance with guidance from the Singapore Ministry of Manpower.
  • Manila Town Office closed indefinitely to comply with the PH Government's Quarantine Order
  • NYC Office closed as an abundance of caution.
  • Unpublished but BR North America is currently struggling to cope with the influx of requests as well as the PHO of the State of California. Because they are deemed "essential", the airline is able to compel attendance but staff have been taking a heavy amount of leave, which is leaving them severely short-staffed.
Passenger Requirements
  • Prior to check-in, Pax must fill out the Health Declaration Form: https://www.evaair.com/en-global/about-eva-air/news/travel-news/2020-02-01-new-type-coronavirus-news.html?filter=
  • You must confirm at check-in you are symptom free for the last 14 days, and have your temperature taken.
  • If you refuse the temperature check or the medical declaration, you will be refused carriage. The refund waiver does not apply in this case; you forfeit the entirety of your ticket.
  • Pax found to have falsely declare their medical information are liable to prosecution under the Communicable Disease Act and BR has the right to collect any incurred cost, losses, or damages stemming from you.
Ground Experience
  • All lounge food items are now pre-packaged ready-to-eat snacks. Ice cream and self-serve removed.
  • Shower service, lockers, and computer service is temporarily suspended.
  • Lounge times/hours are adjusted to ensure sanitation. Currently, only one lounge is open every day. Hours are also extremely limited.

Flight Changes (All Changes are Indefinite)
  • All Hello Kitty services suspended, including the airport check-in and onboard products. Suspension began on April 1st. Flight attendants will no longer wear HK themed items (pins, aprons etc.).
  • All Duty Free Cart Sales suspended. Passengers must preorder via the Duty Free website.
  • Due to a catering supply chain issue in the UK, no special meals are offered on outbound LHR flights. Only limited tray service will be provided.
  • Immediate suspension of all preordering services online for RL/PL/Business.
  • Flights under 6-hours: Room Temperature, ready-to-eat snack bags provided to customers of all classes. Only vegetarian special meals are available.
  • Flights over 6-hours: Single tray food service provided to customers of all classes. Only medical, religious, vegetarian, and baby special meals are available.
  • No paper menus, toiletries, playing cards, or magazines/newspapers provided. Only hand soap is provided in the lavatories. Pens will be available on a limited-request basis.
  • Customers are encouraged to wear a mask unless it is meal time. You must supply your own mask, wipes, sanitizer etc. The airline will suspend the distribution of masks on request immediately.
  • Passengers are not permitted to:
    • Change seats unless instructed to do.
    • Congregate around the aircraft. You must remain seated unless you are using the lavatory.
    • Use restrooms designated "Crew Only"
    • Board if they do not pass the temperature check or they refuse it.
    • The PIC has authority to comply your compliance with all guidelines. You are subject to arrest, fine, or imprisonment for violating health guidelines onboard in accordance with the Communicable Disease Act and Civil Aviation Act of Taiwan. There will be no written warning to compel your cooperation, FA's are instructed to issue one verbal warning followed by PIC's determination of force. You will be banned from BR.
  • Flight crew and Cabin Crew will don the following PPE for your safety and their safety:
    • Goggles (Medical grade)
    • Masks (N95 or equivalent with a second surgical mask layer)
    • Waterproof Gloves
    • Gowns (FA's only)
Ticket Waivers
Valid for Tickets issued: On or Before Apr09 and must be submitted prior to Jun02 for the following periods:
Mainland China / Hong Kong /Macao Between 2020-01-20 and 2020-05-31
Singapore Between 2020-02-11 and 2020-05-31
Japan Between 2020-02-22 and 2020-05-31
Korea Between 2020-02-24 and 2020-05-31
Europe (except Italy) Between 2020-03-11 and 2020-05-31
*Italy Between 2020-02-18 and 2020-07-06
Australia Between 2020-03-20 and 2020-05-31
Others Between 2020-03-17 and 2020-05-31

If your ticket is in the waiver period:
  • Rebooking ONE time is permitted without a change fee. Fare Difference/Tax may be collected. No changes to routing or RBD permitted.
  • Refunds may be requested on rebooked flights, assuming you do not no-show the rebooked flight. "Refund Fee could be waived" (I guess it's their discretion on this)
  • If you are identified as a no-show for the original flight (failed to cancel before check-in closed), you are not eligible for the refund waiver. No-show fee cannot be waived if you want to reissue/rebook.
  • Refund fee waived; pax booking through BR are advised to submit the refund application online and await their response.
  • Pax booking through a travel agency have to cancel/refund via their agency. BR will not touch the ticket period. Calling them is no use and you are just clogging up the already busy phone lines. You need to sort it out with your TA!

EVA's Web Page on the Situation:
  • English: https://www.evaair.com/en-global/about-eva-air/news/travel-news/2020-02-01-new-type-coronavirus-news.html
  • Chinese: https://www.evaair.com/zh-tw/emer/2019-nCoV.html
  • Best way to check cancellations might be to check your reservation: https://booking.evaair.com/flyeva/eva/b2c/manage-your-trip/log_in.aspx?lang=en-global
Taiwan CDC Guidelines / Info:
  • English: https://www.cdc.gov.tw/En/Bulletin/List/7tUXjTBf6paRvrhEl-mrPg
  • Case Distribution English: https://nidss.cdc.gov.tw/en/NIDSS_DiseaseMap.aspx?dc=1&dt=5&disease=19CoV
  • Chinese: https://www.cdc.gov.tw/Disease/SubIndex/N6XvFa1YP9CXYdB0kNSA9A
  • Case Distribution Chinese: https://nidss.cdc.gov.tw/ch/NIDSS_DiseaseMap.aspx?dc=1&dt=5&disease=19CoV
Taiwan Immigration Guidelines:
  • Table with current restrictions: https://ifi.immigration.gov.tw/ct.asp?xItem=18577&ctNode=36570&mp=ifi_en
  • Chinese: https://www.immigration.gov.tw/5385/7229/7238/
Other Interesting Resources:
  • UDN Diagram of Cases in TW (in Chinese): https://udn.com/newmedia/2020/covid-19-taiwan/?utm_source=udnnews&utm_medium=tab
  • Dashboard by Johns Hopkins University: https://gisanddata.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/bda7594740fd40299423467b48e9ecf6
  • Worldometer: https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/
Print Wikipost

Old Jan 21, 2020, 11:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: BR Diamond, Dynasty Flyer Paragon, Marriott Lifetime Plat

Due to the growing epidemic of the Wuhan Coronavirus, BR is implementing policies and procedures to prevent the spread and infection onboard their aircraft.

Effective immediately:
  • Flight attendants are permitted to wear face masks
  • Aircraft disinfection will be done once a week
  • Pest/Disinfectant cans will be sprayed pre/post flight, each flight
  • If you declare to the FA you have a fever/symptoms, you will be immediately met by authorities upon landing to be checked on/quarantined

The airline is continuing to monitor developments of the illness and route adjustments may be made. BR does not serve Wuhan, but does serve other cities the infection has spread to.

Last edited by hayzel7773; Jan 28, 2020 at 4:16 pm
Old Jan 25, 2020, 2:32 am

Programs: BR, UA 1k, CX
Link on EVA website on allowable ticket changes on flights from/to Mainland China / Hong Kong and Macao before 29FEB2020 due to Wuhan Sickness https://www.evaair.com/en-global/abo...ronavirus.html
Old Jan 26, 2020, 5:06 am

Programs: IHG Gold
Originally Posted by Taipei
Link on EVA website on allowable ticket changes on flights from/to Mainland China / Hong Kong and Macao before 29FEB2020 due to Wuhan Sickness https://www.evaair.com/en-global/abo...ronavirus.html
I was looking at this and am interested in this part of the offer:. Eligibility

For passengers holding BR/B7 tickets issued on/before 24JAN2020 with confirmed bookings on BR/B7 cross-strait and international flights with connecting flights from/to Mainland China / Hong Kong and Macao before 29FEB2020.
and

5. Refund:
A. Refund rule and charge will be waived.
B. For tickets purchased from EVA AIR official website, please submit a refund through EVA Air website or contact EVA AIR reservation and ticketing offices.

Does that mean that if I hold an economy ticket TPE-MFM flight (no other flights or connections to this one), that I can cancel for full refund?
Old Jan 27, 2020, 8:18 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mapleg
I was looking at this and am interested in this part of the offer:. Eligibility

For passengers holding BR/B7 tickets issued on/before 24JAN2020 with confirmed bookings on BR/B7 cross-strait and international flights with connecting flights from/to Mainland China / Hong Kong and Macao before 29FEB2020.
and

5. Refund:
A. Refund rule and charge will be waived.
B. For tickets purchased from EVA AIR official website, please submit a refund through EVA Air website or contact EVA AIR reservation and ticketing offices.

Does that mean that if I hold an economy ticket TPE-MFM flight (no other flights or connections to this one), that I can cancel for full refund?
If your flight was booked before 1.24.2020 for travel on or before 29FEB2020, you qualify for a full refund. They will waive all the normal refund/processing charges.
Old Jan 27, 2020, 8:57 am

Programs: IHG Gold
Originally Posted by hayzel7773
If your flight was booked before 1.24.2020 for travel on or before 29FEB2020, you qualify for a full refund. They will waive all the normal refund/processing charges.
Thanks, very much appreciate it. It's for Feb 26 to 29th, so I just squeaked into the right dates.
Old Jan 28, 2020, 11:40 am
Original Poster

Eva Air is now making N95 masks available to passengers on all flights to and from Mainland/Macau/HK. FA's are now required to wear masks during flight and gloves when collecting meals. All staff overnights in China/HK have been cancelled and flights requiring an overnight are now being double crewed. All employee travel (and employee tickets) to China/HK/Macau are suspended until further notice.

The following service changes will be implemented onboard flights to China/HK/Macau:
  • No table cloths in J
  • No menus in all cabins
  • No hot towels in J
  • All napkins provided are one-time use (no cloth napkins in J)
  • All hot meals discontinued (including J)
  • Paper bag meals (sandwich, cold pastry etc.) will be served in place with one-time use utensils and serving apparatus
  • All special meals except Veg. cancelled/not provided
  • No glassware of any kind, all drinks will be served in plastic cups
  • Pillows and blankets will only be provided on request (extremely limited supply, will be immediately bagged for cleaning after use)
  • No newspapers, magazines, or inflight reading is available
  • Duty free will only be given if you preorder
  • Headrest covers, headsets will be one-time use
  • Air sickness bags only provided on request.
  • Safety cards will be replaced in TPE every roundtrip.
  • Sanitation of flight after each leg (except departure delays due to the lengthened on-ground time)
  • Sanitizer available onboard
  • Staffing reduced to minimum required to reduce FA exposure

BR has cancelled all China flights (except SHA) out of TSA and RMQ effective immediately. Starting 2/1, the airline is cancelling more than 200 flights to/from China/HK/Macau. BR is reporting single-digit passenger numbers on some flights.
https://booking.evaair.com/flyeva/EV...ime=&ACTCODE=X

Last edited by hayzel7773; Jan 28, 2020 at 4:20 pm
Old Jan 29, 2020, 9:40 am

I booked a ticket JFK-TPE-CTS in Feb a while ago and I am holding a Chinese passport. I read somewhere that the new policy prohibits passenger holding Chinese passport (no matter where do you live) entering Taiwan. Does anyone know if I am allowed to transfer at TPE (connection time is about 3 hrs, do now plan to leave the international terminal), or should I cancel the ticket and looking for alternative.
Old Jan 31, 2020, 3:28 am

Programs: BR Diamond, B6 Mosaic
https://www.chinatimes.com/realtimen...3-260410?chdtv

Looks like MXP might be affected. Personally, I think this is all just political, but what do I know...

Let's see if other countries follow suit.
Violin1990 likes this.
Old Feb 1, 2020, 8:26 pm

We're supposed to fly USA>TPE>CTS (and return) this month.
The fact that BR has not yet suspended all services to the Mainland has me very concerned.
If you're following the coronavirus story, it is now known that an infected asymptomatic person can transmit the virus and that it can take up to 2 weeks for the infection to become symptomatic.
Any flight with connecting pax originating with Mainland carries some level of risk. An asymptomatic carrier could easily infect others in the cabin.

My questions are as follows:
- Generally speaking, how much of BR's TPAC pax are those originating/transiting from Mainland?
- I don't know if there are any political or philosophical factors involved, but why hasn't EVA announced suspension of all China flights yet and could you see that happening over the next week?
- Juneyao and Air China are Star. How much traffic do those carriers feed EVA's TPAC flights?
Old Feb 1, 2020, 9:02 pm

Programs: United Plat
Originally Posted by evergrn
The fact that BR has not yet suspended all services to the Mainland has me very concerned.
If you're following the coronavirus story, it is now known that an infected asymptomatic person can transmit the virus and that it can take up to 2 weeks for the infection to become symptomatic.
Any flight with connecting pax originating with Mainland carries some level of risk. An asymptomatic carrier could easily infect others in the cabin.

- Generally speaking, how much of BR's TPAC pax are those originating/transiting from Mainland?
- I don't know if there are any political or philosophical factors involved, but why hasn't EVA announced suspension of all China flights yet and could you see that happening over the next week?
- Juneyao and Air China are Star. How much traffic do those carriers feed EVA's TPAC flights?
Chinese citizens are not allowed to transit in TPE. They can fly to USA via ICN or NRT but not TPE due to political reasons.

You can check how EVA cleans the cabin after each China service. (https://www.evaair.com/en-us/about-e...-2019nCoV.html). EVA also has cut many China flights.

You seem to be worried about taking EVA to CTS. Are you sure Japan is safe? There are already 20 2019-nCoV cases in Japan. Japan has the most cases outside of China so far.
ernestnywang likes this.
Old Feb 1, 2020, 9:51 pm

Originally Posted by sfo3388
Chinese citizens are not allowed to transit in TPE. They can fly to USA via ICN or NRT but not TPE due to political reasons.

You can check how EVA cleans the cabin after each China service. (https://www.evaair.com/en-us/about-e...-2019nCoV.html). EVA also has cut many China flights.

You seem to be worried about taking EVA to CTS. Are you sure Japan is safe? There are already 20 2019-nCoV cases in Japan. Japan has the most cases outside of China so far.
Okay it helps that Chinese citizens aren't allowed to transit via TPE. Has it always been this way, or is it just since the outbreak?
And if it's always been this way, then China-TPE flights are pretty much strictly O&D?

I'm not any more worried the virus in Taiwan or Jpn than I am about it in US. Jpn may have 2x as many cases as Taiwan, but it's also got 5x the population. And to me, 20 cases in an entire country is no different than another country with 10 cases. They're both very small %, but either way we don't know what to expect going forward.
What I am worried about is being in the same aircraft as multiple pax coming from China, whether/not they have symptoms.
Old Feb 1, 2020, 11:42 pm

Programs: BR, UA 1k, CX
Okay it helps that Chinese citizens aren't allowed to transit via TPE. Has it always been this way, or is it just since the outbreak?
And if it's always been this way, then China-TPE flights are pretty much strictly O&D?

I'm not any more worried the virus in Taiwan or Jpn than I am about it in US. Jpn may have 2x as many cases as Taiwan, but it's also got 5x the population. And to me, 20 cases in an entire country is no different than another country with 10 cases. They're both very small %, but either way we don't know what to expect going forward.
What I am worried about is being in the same aircraft as multiple pax coming from China, whether/not they have symptoms.
It's been like this for awhile, as far transit Chinese. Most the transit passengers are ethnic Chinese with USA or other passports. In Taiwan so far, most of the current cases are Taiwanese that visited or a resident of the Wuhan area, so since they Wuhan flights have been cancelled there should be no people from this area (where 90%+ of the people with this sickness is from). Most Chinese passport holders will fly Chinese airlines which still have flights as of today to Sapporo ( 8 arrivals today/ 12 scheduled)

Last edited by Taipei; Feb 1, 2020 at 11:52 pm
Old Feb 2, 2020, 2:30 am

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
I would like to clarify one minor point. Mainland Chinese pax who originate from Chongqing (CKG), Kunming (KMG), and Nanchang (KHN) are allowed to transit in Taiwan, but a report last year indicated that https://udn.com/news/story/7241/3995820 the average number of transit pax from these airports is less than 1 person per day.

Mainland Chinese pax originates from outside of Mainland China can also transit in Taiwan. I don't think there is any restriction imposed on the Taiwanese side yet. If they are not originating out of Mainland China, there is little concern anyway.

BR's TPECKG flight seems to have been suspended for now. For KMG, BR/B7 only flies from KHH, not from TPE. BR doesn't fly to KHN.
Old Feb 2, 2020, 2:30 am
tya

Programs: TK Miles&Smiles, AAdvantage, Flying Blue

China never really permits its citizens transit through Taiwan (except leaving from Nanchang, Chongqing and Kunming), unless they have permanent residency in other countries.
So, before the coronavirus outbreak:
CHN->TWN->3rd Country: No travellers holding Chinese passports allowed (unless they have foreign permanent residency in which case immigration officers at certain airports such as PVG usually permit their travel).
3rd Country->TWN->CHN: In theory no, but since travellers using Chinese passports would have already arrived in China when Chinese officers found out, there are no tangible rules to prevent them from doing it, and many have been doing so.

But after the outbreak, Taiwan banned all travellers holding Chinese passports to board flights to Taiwan, so you are not likely to see any Chinese citizen on BR now. I heard some Chinese nationals were asked to leave the plane on a BR flight leaving SFO yesterday. But as others have mentioned, it seems that non-Chinese (including Taiwanese and other nationalities) can still travel from CHN to TWN (and onward), you still have a chance to encounter someone who uses TPE as a stopover when they just arrive from China. They just won't be Chinese national though.

In general, I think the risks/chances is much lower than ICN and NRT but higher than SIN, since the former don't have any such comprehensive ban yet while the latter does (already banning all travellers, even transit passengers, who have been in China within 14 days prior to travel).

Yet, to be honest, you might want to closely monitor the situation. Japan seems to be much less alert than Taiwan this time. Japan was not affected by the SARS outbreak back in 2003 while Taiwan did suffer a lot of economic losses. There had been many Chinese visitors in Japan during the Lunar New Year holiday last week. You should keep an eye on how it develops in Japan and might want to make changes to your plan accordingly.

Originally Posted by ernestnywang
Mainland Chinese pax originates from outside of Mainland China can also transit in Taiwan. I don't think there is any restriction imposed on the Taiwanese side yet. If they are not originating out of Mainland China, there is little concern anyway.
I can't find any official documents in English yet, but here is a list in Chinese language of who is allowed to enter Taiwan in this period of virus outbreak. The vast majority types of visas are banned/revoked except immediate family member renuion or very limited types of business visas. I admit there is a slight grey area as it doesn't imply returning Chinese citizens using TPE as a mere transit stop, but what I have learned from a Chinese American WeChat group is that there were Chinese nationals asked to deplane on a TPE-bound BR at SFO. I would assume it was a last-minute decision by BR staff that they should interpret the Taiwanese policy as not allowing anyone holding Chinese passports to fly. I don't have any official statements/documents, however.

Update:
Just read this post on a Chinese equivalent of Flyertalk: the OP is Chinese passport holder who lives in Japan and wanted to fly CI from KIX to KUL. S/he contacted CI offices in Taipei and Tokyo and was told by both that Taiwan has also banned transit.
ernestnywang likes this.

Last edited by tya; Feb 2, 2020 at 3:04 am
Old Feb 2, 2020, 9:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I personally think that if you are this worried, you should cancel the trip instead of questioning why BR has not cancelled all the Mainland operations. You are going to be worried every time you see someone coughing or sneezing and that does not make a good trip.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.