Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, Brussels, LOT and Other Partners | Miles & More
Reload this Page >

Coronavirus: LH Group suspends flights to Italy [Discussion of Italy waiver]

Coronavirus: LH Group suspends flights to Italy [Discussion of Italy waiver]

Old Feb 23, 20, 6:41 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Programs: LH SEN
Posts: 299
Coronavirus: LH Group suspends flights to Italy [Discussion of Italy waiver]

Dear All,

I am witting this to express my concerns and to get your thoughts on the recent blockage of Veneto area of the Italian government related to the outbreak of Corona overthere... I am booked with my family on March 11 to fly VCE-ZRH-DXB and return on March 22nd. Since we are travelling with a one and three year old I have my concerns of flying out of VCE.... since we live 250 km from VCE and 200 km from ZAG, do you believe there is a chance of getting those flights re-booked to fly ZAG-ZRH-DXB and v.v. since we need to be in Dubai on the selected dates.... what are my chances to get a P fare rebooked? I would want to avoid to take the risk for the kids, if we were adults only I would go without any thought.... There is not yet any waiver in place and if it is any worth I have SEN status, wide + kid FTL.... thanks in advance for your inputs....
Kid Flyer is offline  
Old Feb 23, 20, 8:19 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 6,973
I know someone who intends to cancel their non-refundable trip to Como because of this. A lot of money down the bog.
hugolover is offline  
Old Feb 23, 20, 8:22 am
  #3  
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Stoke on Trent, UK (MAN ), BUE, BKK, DBV
Programs: LH HON**,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
Posts: 4,825
There is no harm in calling the SEN line & run it past them, try & talk to a supervisor
chris63 is offline  
Old Feb 23, 20, 8:48 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Programs: Swiss Senator, Flying Blue Gold, BA EC Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Posts: 322
Originally Posted by chris63 View Post
There is no harm in calling the SEN line & run it past them, try & talk to a supervisor
I still canít get the Senator team to let me cancel a Shanghai award trip in April for free given that they only plan until March so far. I donít find them to be particularly cooperative or customer focused on this entire CV issue.
Mozart0815 is offline  
Old Feb 23, 20, 9:04 am
  #5  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Programs: LH SEN
Posts: 299
Originally Posted by chris63 View Post
There is no harm in calling the SEN line & run it past them, try & talk to a supervisor
thanks I wanted to call anyhow and ask I thought maybe some1 has experience or issues similar to myself.... how does it go with the supervisor? I call the swiss SEN line and ask for a supervisor straight out or first speak to the agent and see what he can do?
Kid Flyer is offline  
Old Feb 23, 20, 9:45 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Stoke on Trent, UK (MAN ), BUE, BKK, DBV
Programs: LH HON**,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
Posts: 4,825
Originally Posted by Kid Flyer View Post
thanks I wanted to call anyhow and ask I thought maybe some1 has experience or issues similar to myself.... how does it go with the supervisor? I call the swiss SEN line and ask for a supervisor straight out or first speak to the agent and see what he can do?
Try the agent first but only a Supervisor would have the authority to make changes of that nature on a P ticket, appeal to their better nature & hope they have children
Kid Flyer likes this.
chris63 is offline  
Old Feb 23, 20, 9:47 am
  #7  
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Stoke on Trent, UK (MAN ), BUE, BKK, DBV
Programs: LH HON**,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
Posts: 4,825
Originally Posted by Mozart0815 View Post
I still canít get the Senator team to let me cancel a Shanghai award trip in April for free given that they only plan until March so far. I donít find them to be particularly cooperative or customer focused on this entire CV issue.
Thatís terrible & very short sighted IMO
Hardy and Mozart0815 like this.
chris63 is offline  
Old Feb 23, 20, 10:16 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 1,122
I guess LH will only allow changes if there is government advice not to travel to that part of Italy (in the same way there is advice not to travel to China (excluding HK)).
8420PR is offline  
Old Feb 23, 20, 11:49 pm
  #9  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: DUS (and somewhere in transit)
Programs: LH SEN, AB PLAT, BA Gold, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, SPG Lifetime Platinum, IHG RA, Hyatt Globalist
Posts: 10,077
Originally Posted by 8420PR View Post
I guess LH will only allow changes if there is government advice not to travel to that part of Italy (in the same way there is advice not to travel to China (excluding HK)).
And to be honest, I can fully understand this from their perspective. They need to take care of their own interest, too
livefromtuscany likes this.
Flying Lawyer is offline  
Old Feb 24, 20, 5:44 am
  #10  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Programs: LH SEN
Posts: 299
just to report back... I called the SWISS SEN Hotline and explained my case... long story short, they understand everything but until a official government instruction for a travel ban is set there is nothing they can do.... so I will monitor the situation further and decide on short notice what to do....
chris63 likes this.
Kid Flyer is offline  
Old Feb 24, 20, 6:45 am
  #11  
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 6,973
I see Ireland has warned its citizens not to travel to Northern Italy, Croatia, Hungary have gone a bit further and Israel says donít go to Italy at all.

So what would this mean? If I were on an ex-IL itin LH would refund a ticket without penalty?
hugolover is offline  
Old Feb 24, 20, 6:54 am
  #12  
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Programs: Swiss Senator, Flying Blue Gold, BA EC Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Posts: 322
Originally Posted by Flying Lawyer View Post
And to be honest, I can fully understand this from their perspective. They need to take care of their own interest, too
I'm not so sure about this. Sure, they'll save some money short term but mid-term they've annoyed a lot of their customers. That said, maybe they think get away with this because pretty much everybody else in the industry is equally not putting their customers first, so we as the client don't really have an alternative.
Mozart0815 is offline  
Old Feb 24, 20, 7:30 am
  #13  
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Stoke on Trent, UK (MAN ), BUE, BKK, DBV
Programs: LH HON**,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
Posts: 4,825
Originally Posted by hugolover View Post
I see Ireland has warned its citizens not to travel to Northern Italy, Croatia, Hungary have gone a bit further and Israel says donít go to Italy at all.

So what would this mean? If I were on an ex-IL itin LH would refund a ticket without penalty?
Yes, that should mean ex Ireland tickets should be refunded or changed free of charge, and thatís what the LH travel advice on their website is intimating.
chris63 is offline  
Old Feb 24, 20, 7:33 am
  #14  
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Stoke on Trent, UK (MAN ), BUE, BKK, DBV
Programs: LH HON**,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
Posts: 4,825
Originally Posted by Mozart0815 View Post
I'm not so sure about this. Sure, they'll save some money short term but mid-term they've annoyed a lot of their customers. That said, maybe they think get away with this because pretty much everybody else in the industry is equally not putting their customers first, so we as the client don't really have an alternative.
LH response is far from 5* & makes them look greedy, whatever happened to putting the customers first, pax who in this case have genuine fears.
Hardy likes this.
chris63 is offline  
Old Feb 24, 20, 8:04 am
  #15  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Programs: LH SEN
Posts: 299
Originally Posted by hugolover View Post
I see Ireland has warned its citizens not to travel to Northern Italy, Croatia, Hungary have gone a bit further and Israel says donít go to Italy at all.

So what would this mean? If I were on an ex-IL itin LH would refund a ticket without penalty?
We are Croatian Citizens and living in Croatia so my concer is also that they will not let us out of the country.... I will try again in a few days....
chris63 likes this.
Kid Flyer is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: