Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hainan Airlines (HU) Travel Waiver for 2019-nCoV?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2020, 7:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
Hainan Airlines (HU) Travel Waiver for 2019-nCoV?

Does anyone know if Hainan Airlines has a waiver in place for travel to China?
Old Feb 2, 2020, 9:26 am

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by narvik
Does anyone know if Hainan Airlines has a waiver in place for travel to China?
Yes, all Mainland Chinese carriers are mandated by CAAC to give waiver. You can find official English information at https://www.hainanairlines.com/HUPor...E=US&PAGE=NEWS
narvik likes this.
Old Feb 2, 2020, 10:10 am

Programs: BAEC
Note that the scope will only be to refund free of charge.

From my own experience and based upon others reports on here date changes or rerouting will be processed as per fare rules, although they might waive admin fees, fare differences will be collected.

Last edited by plunet; Feb 2, 2020 at 10:51 am
Old Feb 2, 2020, 10:17 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ernestnywang
Yes, all Mainland Chinese carriers are mandated by CAAC to give waiver. You can find official English information at https://www.hainanairlines.com/HUPor...E=US&PAGE=NEWS

Thanks!
ernestnywang likes this.
Old Feb 4, 2020, 1:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K/3MM, AA EXP/3MM, DL MM, former fan of TWA
With the massive number of refund requests being processed, does anyone have any concerns about the viability of the carrier and its ability to (eventually) process all the refunds?
Old Feb 5, 2020, 11:54 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by gary_nj
With the massive number of refund requests being processed, does anyone have any concerns about the viability of the carrier and its ability to (eventually) process all the refunds?
I strongly suspect that the Chinese Government will bankroll the costs for refunds if a motherland carrier needs it
Old Feb 19, 2020, 12:12 pm

I see a refund pending on my credit card for an itinerary that I had booked on Hainan. I had requested the refund on Jan 28 and they told me that it may take a while because of the backlog of requests. It has appeared on Feb 19. I am satisfied with that, especially given the warning about delay.
Old Feb 20, 2020, 2:13 am
Original Poster

I see a refund pending on my credit card for an itinerary that I had booked on Hainan. I had requested the refund on Jan 28 and they told me that it may take a while because of the backlog of requests. It has appeared on Feb 19. I am satisfied with that, especially given the warning about delay.

Good to know, thanks.
I am having a hard time emailing them: I keep getting the emails returned.

Do you know when your bookings stopped appearing on the hainanairways site? How soon after your cancelation request?
Old Feb 20, 2020, 11:56 am

Hi - I am sorry but I never looked up my reservations again after my call to request cancellation.

I had one itinerary booked directly with Hainan, and I called on Jan 28 to cancel by phone. The agent cancelled and advised me to email [email protected] to request the refund. I got an email back from that address in a day or two, telling me that the refund would be processed but that it might take a while. I didn't look at it any more after that.

I had another itinerary booked on Priceline, which I didn't cancel until a week or ten days after the first. Priceline was a bit more evasive, saying they had to check with Hainan before they could process anything. I got an email from Priceline a few days ago telling me that Hainan authorized the refund, but I haven't seen that in my credit card account yet.
narvik likes this.
Old Feb 21, 2020, 2:46 am
Original Poster

Hi - I am sorry but I never looked up my reservations again after my call to request cancellation.

I had one itinerary booked directly with Hainan, and I called on Jan 28 to cancel by phone. The agent cancelled and advised me to email [email protected] to request the refund. I got an email back from that address in a day or two, telling me that the refund would be processed but that it might take a while. I didn't look at it any more after that.

I had another itinerary booked on Priceline, which I didn't cancel until a week or ten days after the first. Priceline was a bit more evasive, saying they had to check with Hainan before they could process anything. I got an email from Priceline a few days ago telling me that Hainan authorized the refund, but I haven't seen that in my credit card account yet.
Thanks very much.
Old Feb 25, 2020, 3:51 am
Original Poster

Just an update:

I never was able to email Hainan Airlines (emails kept being returned undeliverable), but a further call to customer service had them email [email protected] for me!

That worked, and I soon received an acknowledgement email.
Now just waiting for a refund....
Old Feb 25, 2020, 10:27 am

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
We first saw a refund pending on our credit card several days ago. I called our credit card provider, Chase, two days ago and a rep told me it was left for Chase to approve and that should happen quickly. This morning it had disappeared and we spent upwards of an hour on the phone with Chase until we finally got somebody who could still see it as pending. This rep said the original refund could take at least a week. At the rep's suggestion we've now disputed the charge.

Has anybody actually received a refund yet?

CNBC Feb 19:

China plans to take over HNA Group and sell its airline assets as coronavirus hits business, report says

South China Morning Post Feb 20:

HNA Group’s fate hangs in the balance as coronavirus lockdowns scupper the Chinese asset buyer’s debt workout plan

Last edited by Fredd; Feb 25, 2020 at 10:37 am
Old Feb 25, 2020, 4:13 pm

Just looking at my Chase statement and it seems that my refund has processed correctly and thoroughly. It is not showing as "pending" and is on the regular part of my statement - the date showing next to the refund is the date on which I bought the ticket. This ticket was purchased directly from Hainan and the refund request was made directly to Hainan in late January.
narvik likes this.
Old Feb 25, 2020, 4:31 pm

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Just looking at my Chase statement and it seems that my refund has processed correctly and thoroughly. It is not showing as "pending" and is on the regular part of my statement - the date showing next to the refund is the date on which I bought the ticket. This ticket was purchased directly from Hainan and the refund request was made directly to Hainan in late January.
Thanks for that! We'll keep our fingers crossed. Hainan is still selling tickets, which is a positive sign.
Old Feb 26, 2020, 7:02 am

My second refund (processed through Priceline) appeared on my statement today. So I am 2-for-2 on refunds, and very happy about it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.