Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

USA halts entry of visitors who’ve been in UK, Ireland, Schengen countries

Old Mar 11, 2020, 8:19 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NewbieRunner
US Department of Homeland Security Announcement: https://www.dhs.gov/news/2020/03/11/...l-proclamation
Whitehouse.gov Proclamation (more detail): https://trumpwhitehouse.archives.gov/presidential-actions/proclamation-suspension-entry-immigrants-nonimmigrants-certain-additional-persons-pose-risk-transmitting-2019-novel-coronavirus/

Sec. 5. Effective Date. This proclamation is effective at 11:59 p.m. eastern daylight time on March 13, 2020. This proclamation does not apply to persons aboard a flight scheduled to arrive in the United States that departed prior to 11:59 p.m. eastern daylight time on March 13, 2020.
Section 1. Suspension and Limitation on Entry. The entry into the United States, as immigrants or nonimmigrants, of all aliens who were physically present within the Schengen Area during the 14-day period preceding their entry or attempted entry into the United States is hereby suspended and limited subject to section 2 of this proclamation.

For purposes of this proclamation, the Schengen Area comprises 26 European states: Austria, Belgium, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, and Switzerland

Release Date:
March 11, 2020(WASHINGTON) Today President Donald J. Trump signed a Presidential Proclamation, which suspends the entry of most foreign nationals who have been in certain European countries at any point during the 14 days prior to their scheduled arrival to the United States. These countries, known as the Schengen Area, include: Austria, Belgium, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, and Switzerland. This does not apply to legal permanent residents, (generally) immediate family members of U.S. citizens, and other individuals who are identified in the proclamation.

Won't affect lawful permanent resident, spouse of US citizen/PR, .... (see list of exceptions below, taken from whitehouse.gov link above)
Sec. 2. Scope of Suspension and Limitation on Entry.

(a) Section 1 of this proclamation shall not apply to:

(i) any lawful permanent resident of the United States;

(ii) any alien who is the spouse of a U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident;

(iii) any alien who is the parent or legal guardian of a U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident, provided that the U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident is unmarried and under the age of 21;

(iv) any alien who is the sibling of a U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident, provided that both are unmarried and under the age of 21;

(v) any alien who is the child, foster child, or ward of a U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident, or who is a prospective adoptee seeking to enter the United States pursuant to the IR-4 or IH-4 visa classifications;

(vi) any alien traveling at the invitation of the United States Government for a purpose related to containment or mitigation of the virus;

(vii) any alien traveling as a nonimmigrant pursuant to a C-1, D, or C-1/D nonimmigrant visa as a crewmember or any alien otherwise traveling to the United States as air or sea crew;

(viii) any alien

(A) seeking entry into or transiting the United States pursuant to one of the following visas: A-1, A-2, C-2, C-3 (as a foreign government official or immediate family member of an official), E-1 (as an employee of TECRO or TECO or the employee’s immediate family members), G-1, G-2, G-3, G-4, NATO-1 through NATO-4, or NATO-6 (or seeking to enter as a nonimmigrant in one of those NATO categories); or

(B) whose travel falls within the scope of section 11 of the United Nations Headquarters Agreement;

(ix) any alien whose entry would not pose a significant risk of introducing, transmitting, or spreading the virus, as determined by the Secretary of Health and Human Services, through the CDC Director or his designee;

(x) any alien whose entry would further important United States law enforcement objectives, as determined by the Secretary of State, the Secretary of Homeland Security, or their respective designees, based on a recommendation of the Attorney General or his designee;

(xi) any alien whose entry would be in the national interest, as determined by the Secretary of State, the Secretary of Homeland Security, or their designees; or

(xii) members of the U.S. Armed Forces and spouses and children of members of the U.S. Armed Forces.

(b) Nothing in this proclamation shall be construed to affect any individual’s eligibility for asylum, withholding of removal, or protection under the regulations issued pursuant to the legislation implementing the Convention Against Torture and Other Cruel, Inhuman or Degrading Treatment or Punishment, consistent with the laws and regulations of the United States.
Print Wikipost

Old Mar 11, 2020, 6:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Looks like Trump will address the US at 9 PM Eastern Tonight.
Old Mar 11, 2020, 7:05 pm

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
Trump halts entry of most visitors who’ve been in Schengen Area 14 days prior

Watching Trump live, Europe 30 days no entry into USA except for US citizens, UK no restrictions.
Old Mar 11, 2020, 7:14 pm
mhy

Programs: JGC
Trump halts travel from Europe to US (except UK) for 30 days due to Coronavirus

Breaking story on BBC - details to come I'm sure. https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-51846923?

How will this stop people from taking the train to the UK and flying from there?
DesertNomad likes this.
Old Mar 11, 2020, 7:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
After looking at the trajectories for some European countries on my route and the developments in Italy, earlier today I cancelled a non-essential trip to Europe that I had planned for next week. The J award on Delta (at a great rate) was refunded without redeposit fee.

A few minutes ago, POTUS announced a complete travel ban from Europe (sans UK... ?!) for the next 30 days. There are apparently exceptions for US citizens wanting to come back, but not clear how that would work -- are airlines just flying planes for US citizens? In any case, even if I could have come back, I am actually glad to not be on the road next week.

From NYTimes:

President Trump on Wednesday night announced he was taking “strong but necessary” actions to keep new cases of the coronavirus from entering the United States by suspending all travel from Europe for 30 days, beginning on Friday. The restrictions did not apply to Britain, he said.
Old Mar 11, 2020, 7:22 pm

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
UK isn't EU anymore, ostensibly they would have to go thru immigration and when they try and get on e a plane their passport would show their history and be denied boarding.
Old Mar 11, 2020, 7:23 pm

Programs: AA PPRO, Marriott/Hilton Gold, AMX-Plat, Global Entry
Originally Posted by mhy
Breaking story on BBC - details to come I'm sure. https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-51846923?

How will this stop people from taking the train to the UK and flying from there?
There isn't free movement of people from EU to UK without going through immigration & screening. The problem with the EU is once your in you can move freely from country-to-country without any screening. Since that's true, you have to treat EU countries as a block and with one policy. And there are enough hotspots in the EU to mandate a halt similar to what was done for China.
Fizzer, Keystone and seigex like this.
Old Mar 11, 2020, 7:25 pm

Turkey

Does anyone know if IST would be considered a part of this ban?
Old Mar 11, 2020, 7:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
need a lot more info from the US Government before assessing what this actually means

He mentions 'mainand europe' does that include the Nordics because they aren;t connected directly to Europe. Why is RoI also not exempt

I have a trip next week to NYC starting in ARN via HEL
esledo and becks1 like this.
Old Mar 11, 2020, 7:26 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, Marriot Platinum
I caught the tail end. So if you go via UK are you fine, but no direct flights from the rest of the EU?
Borislav123 likes this.
Old Mar 11, 2020, 7:27 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, HHonors Diamond
The list hasn't been published yet AFAIK, but my guess is that it'll be the Schengen countries that are banned.
Keystone and Borislav123 like this.
Old Mar 11, 2020, 7:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
So I assume US citizens wanting to come home (supposedly an exception?) will have to route via the UK or similar non-ban countries, since I would think airlines would pretty much cancel all flights to the mainland Europe?
Old Mar 11, 2020, 7:28 pm

Programs: GGL
Something of a boost for BA's feeder flights into LHR and onwards to US. For now anyway.
Old Mar 11, 2020, 7:29 pm

Originally Posted by mhy
Immigration officers will probably find out where their travel originated and send them to a quarantine.
Old Mar 11, 2020, 7:29 pm

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
I saw the whole thing.
Yes, but let's wait until it's better clarified.
No travel from Europe for 30 days, the UK is not included, that's what he said.
Effective Friday 13th Midnight.
I think he meant mainland Europe, so that's Nordics as well. I don't know if that includes Turkey as there are many flights to the USA from there.

Also US citizens can still fly to the US from Europe. , provided they have been health screened. (don't know what that means though, will US carriers still fly to Europe? )
becks1 likes this.
Old Mar 11, 2020, 7:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Hipplewm
UK isn't EU anymore, ostensibly they would have to go thru immigration and when they try and get on e a plane their passport would show their history and be denied boarding.
AFAIK even when the UK was part of the EU, Great Britain wasn't part of the Schengen agreement.There were always passport controls, even before Brexit was mentioned.

The situation with Ireland (and Northern Ireland) is a bit more complicated and IDK whether there could be some tricks.....
Fizzer likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.