Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Finnair China travel waivers??

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2020, 12:48 pm
Original Poster

Finnair China travel waivers??

Does anyone see any indication that Finnair May offer Travel waivers/refunds on itineraries currently booked to mainland China?

have a trip booked for late April to Guangzhou in J, a non refundable ‘flash sale’ ticket, but not sure if this might be cancelled/refunded at this point! Many thanks.
Old Jan 23, 2020, 12:49 pm

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
You posted the same thread twice.
Old Jan 23, 2020, 12:52 pm
Original Poster

Sorry, had spotty signal and thought the first attempt had lagged-out! Trying to see how to delete the other thread. Not done that before.
Old Jan 23, 2020, 12:59 pm

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by Tofino87
Not done that before.
Only a moderator can do so.
Old Jan 23, 2020, 4:37 pm

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
The whole flu thing might very well be over by end of April.
Old Jan 23, 2020, 11:42 pm

Programs: Drawer of Cards
+1 if you are worried about wuhan virus, should be over by April. 2003 SARS took about 6 month.
If it does get more serious, then finnair may have a policy for this.
Old Jan 24, 2020, 1:57 pm
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
At least two Chinese carriers have recently issued policies with the effect that most travellers can cancel tickets with a full (end expedited) refund. I know of CA and MF.

On one hand I'd say it is very uncharacteristic of Finnair to take such measures. OTOH, could they be forced to? Anyone care to speculate on that?
With the reliance on China as main market, that could quickly ground a big portion of the fleet.
Old Jan 24, 2020, 2:26 pm

Programs: TK Elite, Hilton Diamond
DISRUPTIONS IN THE TRAFFIC | JAN 24, 2020

No changes to Finnair flights to and from China due to coronavirus cases

We are following the situation related to the coronavirus cases in China closely and will update any new information on this page. We continue normal operations to and from China. Changes to your reservation are possible according to the standard fare rules of the ticket type you’ve purchased.

European authorities have not set any travel restrictions to China. World Health Organisation has issued instruction precautionary measures for travellers hereopens in a new window, stressing the importance of usual precautions, including frequent hand-washing.

You can check your passenger rights hereopens PDF document.
https://www.finnair.com/int/gb/flightinfo
Old Jan 24, 2020, 2:41 pm
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
That is the official stance today, yes.

Chinese carriers started acting yesterday.

Dear Passenger:
In order to carry out the joint prevention and control of the 2019-nCoV epidemic and implement the requirements established by Civil Aviation Administration of China, passengers who have booked tickets for flights operated by Air China and CA-coded flights operated by Air China with a ticket number beginning with 999, including mileage award tickets, can voluntarily refund their tickets from 0:00 am on January 24, 2020, and Air China and all of its ticket sales agencies should not charge refund fee.
Air China 24-hour service hotline: +86-10-95583
In order to support the joint prevention and control of pneumonia
caused by 2019-nCoV, special treatment of relevant air tickets of
Xiamen Airlines (hereinafter referred to as MF) are supplemented as
follows:

I. Eligible Tickets and Flights
Xiamen Airlines (731)-validated tickets issued before 24th Jan, 2020
(exclusive), with travel date after 24th Jan, 2020 (inclusive), involving
MF-operated flights and MF-coded, other carriers-operated flights.

II. Exemption Policy
All tickets that match the eligibility hereof can be issued full refund
within the ticket validity.
Xiamen Airlines 23rd Jan, 2020
Old Jan 24, 2020, 6:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
I have a flight to China in 2 weeks.

Last edited by margarita girl; Jan 24, 2020 at 9:14 pm
Old Jan 25, 2020, 9:04 am

Finnair has now issued a waiver: Due to the corona virus cases in China, we have made changes to our cancellation and change policies for our flights to and from China during 25 January to 23 February 2020. We continue normal operations to and from China, but if you have a Finnair ticket issued before 25 January 2020 to or from China for travel between 25 January and 23 February, 2020 you can, if you so wish:
  • postpone your travel until 31 May 2020 or
  • cancel the booking and apply for a refund in Manage booking
Old Jan 25, 2020, 12:14 pm
Moderator, Finnair

Interesting...
I wonder why they waited until new year had begun before announcing.

The announcement is not very clear when it comes to refunds. Are they just voiding the "non-refundable" and "non-changeable" rules or are they also voiding fees? Refund fee is pretty hefty on the flexible tickets.
Old Jan 25, 2020, 8:06 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by intuition
Interesting...
I wonder why they waited until new year had begun before announcing.

The announcement is not very clear when it comes to refunds. Are they just voiding the "non-refundable" and "non-changeable" rules or are they also voiding fees? Refund fee is pretty hefty on the flexible tickets.
I would be very surprised if there is any pretty heavy AY refund fee applied to those who utilize this AY waiver.

I doubt Finnair wants press coverage saying it’s charging pretty heavy refund fees to those who want out of China-related travel under this kind of apparent public health emergency. And so I go in assuming there is not a big AY refund fee for those who avail themselves to thIs AY travel waiver policy.
LoungeEnthusiast likes this.
Old Jan 26, 2020, 12:36 am
Moderator, Finnair

I am merely pointing out that the process suggested for these cancellations are non-promising. The site says nothing and travellers are advised to cancel from MMB and then apply for refund through a form. So these cancellations will end up in the same exact flow of every other cancellation. So at back end someone needs to handle these as exceptions twice - first for refunding despite fare rules and then for cancelling the standard/automatic refund fee.

Not sure there would even be a public backlash. If someone went from non-refundable ie losing say 700€ to getting 650€ back, maybe they won't make a fuzz about the last 50 lost

Last edited by intuition; Jan 26, 2020 at 12:45 am
Old Jan 26, 2020, 6:13 pm
R2

Just got off AY101 to HKG. Four pax in C and maybe some 50 pax in Y. The purser said the flight to PEK had even less pax. The inbound flights might obviously have higher loads. This is the middle of CNY holidays but it does appear the virus outbreak is hitting AY hard. My guess is they will announce cutbacks in flights to China in the coming days.

The cabin crew were all wearing protective face masks, felt like I was in a hospital

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.