Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Master thread COVID-19/Coronavirus; travel waivers, route changes, AC impacts

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 27, 2020, 3:42 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Smith
Key points of AC COVID change/cancellation policy [as of December 10, 2021]:
(see this page under "Changes and cancellations")

Unlimited changes. No change fees. – Until December 31, 2021, if you want to change your flight, we'll waive the change fee. After December 31, 2021, you can make one change at no extra charge. If your new fare has a higher price, you only need to pay the difference from your original fare.

If Air Canada changes the time of your flight, you make a change for free.*
*Within 3 days for North American destinations and 7 days for international and sun destinations.

If your flight is cancelled, you get a refund – If your flight is cancelled for any reason and we don’t rebook you on another flight that departs or arrives within three hours of your original departure or arrival time, or if we add a connection to your itinerary, you can request a refund.

Need to cancel? Save the value for future travel – If you need to cancel a booking, the full value can be transferred to an Air Canada Travel Voucher, which never expires and is fully transferrable, or converted into Aeroplan points with a 65% bonus. Refundable tickets are always refundable.

Flexibility with Aeroplan bookings – Until December 31, 2021, if you want to change your Aeroplan flight reward, we'll waive all change fees. After December 31, 2021, you can still make one change without a fee.
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2020, 9:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE*MM, Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Gold, National EE, Sixt Plat, Hz 5*

Not sure if there is an official waiver yet, but I was given a full refund on a N ticket to HKG tomorrow due to coronavirus. I saw tcook052 moved a post earlier today on the subject.
Old Jan 22, 2020, 9:33 pm

Programs: *$ Green
Thank God I don't drink coronas.
Old Jan 22, 2020, 10:54 pm

Because of the recent outbreak of the novel coronavirus in Wuhan, China, we understand that you may want to make alternate travel arrangements. If you currently have a reservation, Air Canada has implemented a policy that makes it possible for you to make voluntary changes to your itinerary if:
  • You purchased an Air Canada ticket no later than January 21, 2020 for travel between January 22 and March 29, 2020.
  • Your itinerary includes a flight to, from or via Wuhan Tianhe International Airport (WUH).
If you are scheduled to travel during the affected period, you can retrieve your booking to change your flight, free of charge, to another date or another destination between now and June 15, 2020, subject to availability of the booking class of the ticket you originally purchased. Otherwise, any fare difference will apply.

You also have the option to cancel your flight for a full refund.

If you purchased your ticket with Aeroplan External site which may not meet accessibility guidelines. or Air Canada Vacations, please contact them directly.

And if you require assistance, you can always contact us directly (1-888-247-2262).
https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...han-china.html
Old Jan 22, 2020, 11:22 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Interesting that this is dated January 24

Also interesting that it only mentions itineraries that touch WUH, which is less generous than what Nitehawk encountered.
Old Jan 23, 2020, 5:48 am

Programs: Aeroplan (Silver), Air Miles, IHG Rewards (Platinum)
Originally Posted by hydrogen
And if you require assistance, you can always contact us directly (1-888-247-2262).
lol, guess everyone can get through to the call centres now
Old Jan 23, 2020, 11:23 am

Programs: TK*G, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by YYC009
lol, guess everyone can get through to the call centres now
I accidentally connected to the Mandarin line last week and talked to an agent based in PEK in under 30 secs:P
Her English wasn't great but she had no problem adding the FFP for me.
Old Jan 23, 2020, 1:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE*MM, Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Gold, National EE, Sixt Plat, Hz 5*
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
Also interesting that it only mentions itineraries that touch WUH, which is less generous than what Nitehawk encountered.
I did not push them on the issue at all. I called to cancel, mentioned the virus, and the agent stated that people had been receiving refunds. She then processed my full refund. Call took no more than 5-10 mins.
Old Jan 24, 2020, 12:19 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
Apr 3-6th I have BKK-CAN-WNZ-TPE-SEA-YVR on an AP ticket. I booked it that way partially to try and hit all the Star carriers (there's a ZH flight in there which I'm missing and a TG 350 I wanna try) and I had no issue spending 24 hours in Guagzhou (actually kinda wanted to, city looks kinda cool) and 24 hours in Wenzhou (never heard of it, but I have a Chinese visa and how bad can 24 hours be, had to do this to lineup with the BR availability) but now I'm a LITTLE more weary of that.

I'll call them when I get home from my current trip, but my dates are outside of the waiver, and does anyone have experience with waivers and if/how they extend to AP tickets? Are they gonna insist my new itinerary has award availability? I know that's always a sticky situation but when it comes to cancelled flights and stuff they are usually pretty good about just paying to replace flights. Cuz of course now there isn't really availability and whatever availability exists is all via China, which kinda defeats the purpose.
Old Jan 24, 2020, 1:13 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by drvannostren
Apr 3-6th I have BKK-CAN-WNZ-TPE-SEA-YVR on an AP ticket. I booked it that way partially to try and hit all the Star carriers (.
your trip is over 2 months away and doesn't directly touch WUH

​​​​​​I admire your goal of hitting all the *G carriers. we are only missing one primary carrier (Shenzhen) and one connecting partner (Juneyao). We intend to do both before spring/summer is over.

Unless you need the miles to book a new flight, personally I'd hold on to your cool routing and watch the news updates in several weeks. Doing so now now the most you'd get is pay refund refund fees or change fees, and you'd have to find existing Aeroplan flight award inventory.

​​
Old Jan 24, 2020, 3:51 pm

Programs: AC SE100k, Marriott Titanium Elite, Accor Platinum, National Executive Elite
I cancelled a YVR-TPE trip for next week last week and asked them to retroactively apply this waiver, which they informed me they did. The Concierge gave me slightly different terms than the ones listed.

What does it mean I can book 'another destination'? Can I book YVR to SYD instead? I was in J
Old Jan 24, 2020, 6:24 pm

Originally Posted by Rundosrun
I cancelled a YVR-TPE trip for next week last week and asked them to retroactively apply this waiver, which they informed me they did. The Concierge gave me slightly different terms than the ones listed.

What does it mean I can book 'another destination'? Can I book YVR to SYD instead? I was in J
How'd you get them to waive PVG/PEK/HKG/TPE travel?
I assume it just means that the value of the ticket can be applied to a new one with the change fee waived.
Old Jan 24, 2020, 10:43 pm

Programs: AC SE100k, Marriott Titanium Elite, Accor Platinum, National Executive Elite
There's an updated advisory that includes PVG and PEK but I think they are being a bit more open about applying it.

Change fee waived and they will book me into the same cabin if I book before June 15th on any available flight on that route.
Old Jan 25, 2020, 1:49 am
m.y

Programs: AC 75k, Marriott Titanium
I have a flight to PEK/PVG mid February, I'm hoping AC will extend waiver to cover those dates, as what I hear from my relatives, the outbreaks in both cities are much worse than reported.
Old Jan 25, 2020, 8:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by m.y
I have a flight to PEK/PVG mid February, I'm hoping AC will extend waiver to cover those dates, as what I hear from my relatives, the outbreaks in both cities are much worse than reported.
These dates are within the window for rebooking, and PEK is now included.

This said, I would take rumors from friends or relatives in Beijing with a grain of salt. Rumors tend to go way beyond reality. Still, if it were me, I would probably go ahead and cancel a February trip, just to be on the safe side.
Old Jan 25, 2020, 11:15 am

Can someone advise what the updated advisory includes?

looked at both their Travel Advisory and Goodwill policy - all I see is just the regular winter storms and Wuhan being covered.

thinking either to cancel ticket or submit a trip interruption/cancellation claim.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.