Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

Coronavirus / COVID-19 : general fact-based reporting

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 27, 2020, 9:09 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: username
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING
This thread has become a valuable resource on Corona Virus/COVID-19 in general and no longer just about its impact on China travel. In order for the thread to remain fact-based and useful, posters are reminded to keep it free of speculation, conjecture and fear-mongering. Posts which do not meet these guidelines or which break the FT rules may be edited or deleted. Please observe the following FT rules in particular:

- be respectful and helpful
- stay on topic
- posts must be contributive to the thread
- inflammatory, inciting or unnecessarily provocative posts are not allowed
- repetitively posting comments of the same general theme is not permitted
- abusive, hateful, threatening, harassing or otherwise offensive posts will not be tolerated
- do not post comments on moderator decisions

FlyerTalk Senior Moderator Team

The following two links are updated daily:
IATA international transit / arrival policies Coronavirus Outbreak - Update
WHO Coronavirus disease (COVID-19) situation reports

Counters / Meters : Other Discussions on FlyerTalk Pertaining to COVID-19:

General (in this forum)
Location-specific
Airlines
Hotels
Other
Please add other discussions on FlyerTalk pertaining to COVID-19 not already been included in this WikiPost. Thank you.

Print Wikipost

Coronavirus / COVID-19 : general fact-based reporting

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2020, 12:48 pm

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Originally Posted by nk15
This makes sense, for relatively predictable and manageable situations.
Here is what I would add - due to the inevitable difficulties with supply chains, certain stuff/products/services might suddenly end up in short supply. Let's consider the same toilet paper for example. I do not know for an average Walmart who supplies TP, but if that supplier is end up to be hit with quarantine, then people 10k miles away have to switch to Yellow Pages, well, at least temporarily.

What would be the greatest logistical challenge in case of global pandemic with rolling quarantines from country to country and territory to territory is to greatly diversify supply of suppliers (products and services) for business continuity.
nk15 likes this.
Old Feb 24, 2020, 1:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by bocastephen
Perhaps - but has this specific one been studied? I would hope this type of test is something the so-called 'scientists' have already completed and verified.
I think real scientists are working on stuff like that without needing our prodding
jpdx likes this.
Old Feb 24, 2020, 3:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
China is saying that they plan to "find" <my word, I think> cases of WuFlu by tracking people who purchase cough medicine, OTC medication that might reduce fever, etc. Comments?

I don't doubt that China can track this using their phone apps, etc. (since few people seem to pay with cash, despite China's concern now with disinfecting its currency and coins just in case it's been spreading the infection), but the idea of tracking down people with mild symptoms (who are probably staying home anyway) to force them into a fever clinic or makeshift hospital ward seems scary. I also don't like the idea of discouraging people from using effective OTC medicines to reduce minor symptoms, especially in otherwise healthy people who are neither very young nor very old.
China's strategy will end up infecting a lot of people who didn't have it in the first place.
Old Feb 24, 2020, 4:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
US preparation does not seem very strong or re-assuring at all...

https://thehill.com/policy/healthcar...onavirus-funds
Old Feb 24, 2020, 4:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Meanwhile, I stopped procrastinating and bought some masks today. A suburban Target (not the biggest one in the area, but convenient for me today) didn't have any in stock, but I found a small supply at Home Depot:

3M 2-pack N95 masks nonvalve respirator for $5.49

HDX (made in China) 15-pack N95 valve respirator for $20.97

I was a bit surprised that this was so easy as I've been beating myself up a bit for not having done this errand earlier. At the moment, I'm not sure what travel is on the horizon for me (in principle, a research conference in Seoul????? another one in Milano???????), but I thought I should acquire some masks just in case, possibly to be gifted to friends/colleagues from China/Japan/Korea.
Old Feb 24, 2020, 4:57 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by invisible
Here is what I would add - due to the inevitable difficulties with supply chains, certain stuff/products/services might suddenly end up in short supply. Let's consider the same toilet paper for example. I do not know for an average Walmart who supplies TP, but if that supplier is end up to be hit with quarantine, then people 10k miles away have to switch to Yellow Pages, well, at least temporarily.

What would be the greatest logistical challenge in case of global pandemic with rolling quarantines from country to country and territory to territory is to greatly diversify supply of suppliers (products and services) for business continuity.
The use of just in time inventory strategies has made supply chains much more vulnerable to distractions. Everyone is trying to minimization inventory costs until suddenly having less than a day's inventory becomes very costly.
Hoyaheel and wrp96 like this.
Old Feb 24, 2020, 4:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by nk15
US preparation does not seem very strong or re-assuring at all...

https://thehill.com/policy/healthcar...onavirus-funds
Meanwhile, 18 new cases in the US. The Princess keeps on giving.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...ses-in-us.html

426 total tests performed in the US.
Old Feb 24, 2020, 5:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
3M 2-pack N95 masks nonvalve respirator for $5.49

HDX (made in China) 15-pack N95 valve respirator for $20.97

I was a bit surprised that this was so easy as I've been beating myself up a bit for not having done this errand earlier. At the moment, I'm not sure what travel is on the horizon for me (in principle, a research conference in Seoul????? another one in Milano???????), but I thought I should acquire some masks just in case, possibly to be gifted to friends/colleagues from China/Japan/Korea.
That’s a good deal. I paid around $15 for 10 3Ms with valve, on Amazon when the West was on fire. Currently could reorder them for $40. One problem with the M95 is that they take up a lot of space in my carry on bag. On my last trip I put one in a Tupperware container to prevent it from getting crushed.
Old Feb 24, 2020, 5:25 pm

Just received following -

US registered cruise ship Costa Serena carrying 4800 people, was to dock at Tianjin on 25 Jan 20. Chinese authorities announced the day before that everyone must be checked. Checking the health of all passengers and crew were accomplished within 18 hours (docking at 5 am to 11 pm same day). 17 passengers (suspected cases and close contacts) were separated and quarantined at hotels. Onward ports cancelled. Chinese authorities did not allow 3700 passengers back on ship. Disaster averted! Nothing like the huge disaster like Diamond Princess in Japan!

Strangely, this news never reported in English. If you type in "Costa Serena, Tianjin, coronavirus" Wikipedia excerpt seems to report, but when you click on the link the details are gone!

https://www.vesseltracker.com/en/Shi...a-9343132.html does confirm that the ship reached Tianjin and did not continue, citing urgent guidelines from China.

But the news did get reported in Chinese and even on a Taiwan website! see https://news.sina.com.tw/article/20200222/34308138.html - very seldom that a Taiwan site sings praises of Chinese Government, even compared the treatment to disastrous handling by Japanese Government of Diamond Princess!
Old Feb 24, 2020, 5:29 pm

What happened to the 3700 passengers who were not permitted back on the ship? Were they expected to cancel the remainder of their plans and somehow make their own way home from Tianjin? What happened to the crew? And where is that ship now?
wrp96 and Global Adventurer like this.
Old Feb 24, 2020, 5:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by narvik
Is that even true though? If there's no cure, I'm not convinced "medical care" does anything at all to save a life. maybe prolong death, but has it been established that anyone that received medical care actually survived that otherwise wouldn't have?
To me it seems that even the best medical care (the doctor and the hospital's director come to mind) can't save anyone at all.

If you get it, it's up to your immune system and health to beat it. Medical care might make it [slightly] more comfortable, but that's about it.
Medical care can sometimes keep you alive until your body wins the fight. This disease messes with your lungs. For some patients oxygen helps. For those in a more serious condition a ventilator might be needed. (And note that this means that if it goes pandemic the death rate goes up as there won't be anywhere near enough ventilators.)
narvik likes this.
Old Feb 24, 2020, 6:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The WHO press conference and Q&A about COVID-19 from 9 hours ago:

Old Feb 24, 2020, 6:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by IncyWincy

US registered cruise ship Costa Serena carrying 4800 people, was to dock at Tianjin on 25 Jan 20.
Seems Italian flagged/registered. I think Costa is ultimately a subsidiary of Carnival.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Costa_...#Ports_of_call

In 2015, she re-positioned to Shanghai to sail year-round cruises from China visiting ports in Japan and South Korea. These sailings are catered for Chinese guests and are only bookable through Chinese travel agencies.

Perhaps it didn't get any attention in western media because it only had Chinese passengers aboard and the event happened before there was a lot of attention paid to Novel Coronavirus outside of China?

This story covers the Serena event in English:

https://safetyatsea.net/news/2020/cr...break-worsens/

It sounds like the Serena was on the way back to Tianjin where a new cruise was supposed to start on 1/25 (but was canceled). So if that's accurate, the passengers were just disembarked at the port where they expected to leave the ship anyway.
Old Feb 24, 2020, 6:24 pm

Programs: various
Yes, I think the Costa Serena was doing a China-Japan-China cruise and was returning to Tianjin, most if not all would have been Chinese passengers who would have been disembarking in Tianjin anyway. Likely why it didn't get more news coverage in the foreign press.

Costa Serena is currently in Nagasaki. From tracking, it looks like it's been doing short round-trips out of there for much of February, which would logically be geared to the Japanese market. Or it's been berthed there and just periodically heading out to sea crew-only, to make fresh water and those sorts of activities.
notquiteaff likes this.
Old Feb 24, 2020, 6:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

A summary presentation of COVID-19 by a USF ID faculty member, posted today:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8nuRZwQsLf0

At 7:45 she talks about how the US in the last 3 years had closed the Office of Pandemic Response, reduced/cut back CDC outreach, and cut other relevant programs and resources.

EDIT: At 20:12 she says that the new virus survives 7-9 days on surfaces, but she doesn't cite a source and it is not clear if it means it is still infectious then, it may be sloppy reporting.
kalkat, notquiteaff and narvik like this.

Last edited by nk15; Feb 24, 2020 at 7:12 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.